Is there a Roland Blues Cube Hot 2 on it's way ?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Gregorski, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Gregorski

Gregorski Strat-Talker

I've been looking at various small practice amps. The Roland Blue Cube hot is one of the ones that looks interesting. However, it's out of stock everywhere. Given that this amp is 5 years old already and doesn't support the plugin capsule patches I'm wondering if there's a new one coming along.

I like the Fender "blackface" clean sound and I am considering:

Blackstar HT5R II
    Princeton '65 RI
    Katana
    Blues Cube Hot
    Tone King Gremlin

Anything else i should be looking at ? Really want valves but i'm told i'd be better off with SS for home.

2. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Guitar Player

I love the Blues Cube Hot. It does not, however, sound like a Fender black(or silver)face. It is a Fender tweed (Bassman)-voiced amp.

I have all three versions that Roland made, BTW: The standard, the British EL84 Modified, and the BOSS Drive Special. Love 'em. But no Fender blackface sounds in the lot.

If a new version is coming out (and the thought has crossed my mind as well due to reducing stock of Blues Cubes), maybe they release it this month, some time near the normal Winter NAMM cycle? Hard to be sure.

The closest Roland gets to that more scooped Fender clean is a Nextone model on the 6V6 or 6L6 power settings.

MysticTraveler and soulman969 like this.
  3. exactopposite

exactopposite Strat-Talk Member

If they make a blackface version I'd be all over it.

4. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

The Princeton or a silver or black face vibro champ.

5. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Simple solution. Buy the BC Hot and a JOYO American Sound.

You'll turn a one channel amp into a two channel amp just by setting the the JOYO AS up in it's Blackface settings. JOYO on = Blackface. JOYO off= Tweed.

I do this with my Egnater Tweaker. I configure the amp in it's AC (VOX) settings and run the JOYO AS in my signal chain. Step on the pedal and I go from VOX to Blackface.

Now, the Tweaker does have it's own internal US (Fender) configuration but the amp can't be switched between it's three configurations via a footswitch which is where the JOYO American Sound comes in handy. IME it's one of the most useful $40 pedals anyone can own for Fender Blackface sound.

MysticTraveler likes this.
  6. exactopposite

exactopposite Strat-Talk Member

I have the Boss Nextone Stage which I use to get blackface sounds, so I've got it covered. I still think it would be cool to have an amp that is built around that particular sound.

soulman969 likes this.
  7. soulman969

There are. Fender Princeton, Deluxe Reverb, Vibrolux Reverb, Twin Reverb. ;) :whistling:

LOL, sorry couldn't resist but I know what you mean.

For those without a Nextone or a Fender Blackface the JOYO AS works pretty well. I have an original '90s Roland BC60 which is also a Tweed voiced amp so there again the American Sound provides a handy way to make the jump from Tweed to Blackface.

8. espyhop

espyhop Strat-Talker

I recently saw a JC-60 and thought Roland should make a single 12-inch speaker combo amp based on brown/black/silver amps.

It would have eight power stages (60/45/30/22/15/5/1/0.5 watts), would have two or three types of tremolo, built in Blues Drive, and a switch for brown/black/silver. It would also have an effects loop and a variety of outputs. Instead of offering a 2x12, Roland should make a special powered extension speaker that’s controlled by the amp.

MysticTraveler likes this.
  9. soulman969

Gonna be a very pricey amp when buyers often balk at paying the price of a SS Blues Cube now. But yeah, wouldn't we all love an amp like that with BOSS/Roland reliability.

MysticTraveler and espyhop like this.
  10. Gregorski

Gregorski Strat-Talker

I spoke to andertons last weekend and they told me that the BC Hot has been discontinued since 2019 and replaced by the BC stage. That didn’t stack up to me though and I’m not convinced given that it’s still on Rolands site. Maybe they just wanted to sell me something else ..

11. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Guitar Player

Certainly not "replaced by" the Stage, since they sold side by side for years. Although a Stage with an Ultimate Blues tone capsule would get you the blackface sound.

It's not unthinkable that they just discontinue the line. I would not be surprised if I exist in another low popularity preference range - tubeless amps with simplicity.

12. Gregorski

Gregorski Strat-Talker

Stage is too big for me. I was really after the hot but with the ultimate blues capsule. Bought an HT5-R mk2 in the end

Anacharsis likes this.
  13. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Guitar Player

I've had an HT-5 (mk1 head). Good amp!

But yeah, the "replaced" line was objectively false. I suspect that they are either revamping the line or phasing it out. We'll see.

14. l88vette

l88vette Strat-O-Master

Not sure of your budget but what about a Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb? I've seen used as low as $650 and even though they retail new at $899 you can often get a discount. It is the blackface sound. Also only 22 lbs.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  15. Gregorski

Gregorski Strat-Talker

as I said above, I bought the HT5. Was looking for something as small as possible. The tone master is quite a bit larger

Anacharsis likes this.