is there any real use for the second tone knob for the modern player?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Silverman, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

You 'ad t'strings? You lucky bastid. What we woulda giv'n ta 'av t'strings.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Try tellin that to t'young folk today...

Ebidis likes this.
  3. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    It’s an extra option. More options are better correct? You don’t have to use it, just don’t touch the knob.

jwag and CB91710 like this.
  4. albala

albala Dr. Stratster

I've always found 2 tones to be confusing.

My last 3 Pluscasters have either 1 tone or 1 dummy tone.

I've been changing all of my Fenders over to 1 tone but I'll keep just one with 2 tones.

5. rgbedard

rgbedard non-compliant Silver Member

Honestly, I can't imagine using my favorite positions, 2 & 4, without 2 tone controls ... on the other hand, it's cool tthat so many different wiring variations serve so many different playing styles ...

6. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

More knobs more time playing with them less time playing music.
    Just bought a Noventa, 2 P90 pickups, 1 tone knob. Thats fine with me.
    But I dont discriminate, 2 tone knobs is ok

nickmsmith likes this.
  7. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Another good option (MHO) is three concentric knobs for volume and tone on each pickup.

I think volume controls on each pickup are more important than a tone control on each pickup. Being able to blend all the pickup levels for any combination gives you lots of varying sounds. But, you need three volume controls to do that... and it is nice to have one tone control... so you might as well go concentric on all 3.

8. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

Most of my Strats are set up so that the second tone control works for both the middle and bridge pickups. So, yes, I use it quite frequently.

Glyderslead and NTC like this.
  9. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-O-Master

I wire an SSS with a 3 way switch for the bridge and neck pickups and the middle pickup soldered directly to the second knob which becomes a volume so it can blend in. The third knob is a master tone. I wire an HSS with a 3 way switch for the middle and neck pickups with the bridge pickup soldered directly to the first volume knob with a 500K or 1 meg pot, the middle and neck on the second volume knob and the third knob is a master tone. I don't understand one volume and two tones. It never made sense to me.

10. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

I could get by with one tone knob just for the bridge pickup only. I tend to set up my amp so it sounds good with the neck pickup wide open, then I just dial back the bridge if it's too bright. In my experience the neck and middle are the most responsive with the volume and tone on 10. And the bridge gets a nice creamy quality when you dial it back just a hair.

Zeekrider likes this.
  11. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

If I played more jazz I would get more use out of the middle tone knob wired to the neck - but usually I just leave it wide open.

Now the bottom tone wired to the bridge pickup? MUST HAVE.

I can't deal with a single master tone though - I'd rather have no tone knob for the neck than have it wired with the bridge.

12. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

The only knob I worry about is the one holding my guitar...

StratUp and JP68 like this.
  13. Groundwire

Groundwire Strat-Talker

I feel the same these days. My current favorite setup is the original wiring method. The cap value takes some getting used to, as I’m used to a much smaller value on modern strats, but I enjoy learning to use the instrument as it was originally designed.

On my modern Partscaster, I have the first tone wired to the neck/middle, and the second tone wired to the bridge. This setup works also. The biggest difference on this is that I use an .015 cap, which removes a much narrower range of high end. I do like that.
    One advantage of the traditional wiring is that you get a better quack tone in position 2. Since the bridge has no tone cap, there isn’t one in the signal path when you combine the 2 pickups (at least on a 3 way when it’s wedged in between). This makes the high end snappier and you get a bit more spank out of the tone.

14. Droptop

Droptop New Member!

Volume/Tone/Blender (for neck or bridge pickup).

15. Joe R

Joe R Strat-Talk Member

Interesting question. In the early days, Strats did not have their tone controls wired to the bridge pickup. That's one of the reason why players didn't respond well to it. I have a 22 year old Strat and did the connection myself, a VERY easy soldering job. The difference is amazing. So yes, two tone controls are very much appreciated. This is especially true if you are running a seven-way switch, where you have the neck and bridge pickups working together. You get great versatility by adjusting the tone in each pickup.

davidKOS likes this.
  16. Slartybartfast

Slartybartfast Strat-Talker

Yes there is. Some people don't use them at all, some one is enough, others need two for the guitar to do what they want. There is no rule except that they should be there in case someone wants them to be. Doesn't mean you have to use it.

17. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

The nice thing about wiring schemes is that you can find what works for your playing style....for me makes more sense that the second tone is used like a blender pot...mixing the pickups together and adding extra sounds that were never available before like the blending of the bridge and neck in different variations.....

The important thing though is that those things are worth to experiment with cause at least they can offer a radical change to your sound.

StratUp likes this.
  18. davidKOS

davidKOS not posting these days

After using the Variax Standard, which is basically a Yamaha SSS Pacifica "Strat:, which, although having 4 controls, only has a volume and tone, I realized I rarely used the tone knobs at all - so no, i don't need 2 tone controls on a strat.

19. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

In my view, if any of the Strat pickups needs a tone pot, it's the bridge pickup. Neck and middle can be wide open for my liking. Master volume and one tone knob for the bridge pickup. And, switch wired to combine neck & bridge pickups together in one position - like a Tele.

[​IMG]

20. steve1961

steve1961 Strat-Talk Member

On my Strat, the neck pick is not connected to the tone circuit. I've never adjusted the tone for the neck pup on a Strat. The mid hardly every gets touched. The bridge tone gets quite a bit of use and has its own 0.01 cap.