is there any real use for the second tone knob for the modern player?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Silverman, Oct 4, 2021.

1. msbrech

msbrech Strat-Talk Member

I asked a similar question in another thread a couple of months back. One post made a good point, that being that you could set, say, the tone for the neck pickup if you're using it to play rhythm, switch to the bridge for a lead tone, then switch back without having to fiddle with the knobs again.

Long answer short, it depends on your playing style. And as everyone above have pointed out, you can always change the electronics up to suit.

CB91710 likes this.
  2. Scottycaster

Scottycaster Strat-Talk Member

the volume has always been an issue for me so i delete one tone and move the volume down. the tone is then wired for the bridge pickup only. works for me and its an easy thing to change it back for whatever reason.

3. strat69

strat69 New Member!

The 2nd Tone knob should be for the Bridge, the 1st one for Neck and Middle pickups since they have similar treble issues. Have my Strats wired that way and it works great. The Bridge needs its own tone control. Why Fender never "got" this is just beyond me.

4. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

Two always seemed silly to me.

Blender knob. I put the blender in the middle as I thought I'd use it more - and I have.

Blender.png

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  5. Archtops

Archtops Strat-Talker

Not for me..

6D92D626-5938-4E07-A8D8-C5F5AFE8A954.jpeg

6. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

I've gotten to like G&L's PTB (passive treble bass) controls. One of the tone knobs adjusts treble for all pickups, and the other tone knob adjusts bass for all pickups.

msbrech and StratUp like this.
  7. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-Talker

It's like the High & Low Inputs on an amp, when you need them, they're nice to have.

8. jwag

jwag Strat-O-Master

I played Les Pauls for decades and love that control setup. That said…I prefer the three knob setup over two every day all day. Definitely useful when combining pickups to dial in or out the tone you need.

I ride the volume and tone controls all the time when I’m playing, you have to shape the sound…and everything on ten is not my idea of that. Everyone’s different, so do what works for you.

9. 76standard

76standard Strat-Talker

I installed a blender pot and have wired my Strat to utilize both tone knobs. So yes, both are functional for my tone.

10. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Strat-Talker Platinum Supporting Member

This sounds like the best solution to me. However, I have not taken the trouble to actually wire any of my Strats that way. At the same time, I don't think I have ever used the middle pickup tone knob in any actual playing situation. I could see the two tone controls on the bridge and neck pickups.

11. mazzolar59

mazzolar59 Strat-Talker Silver Member

My tone knob is wired to the bridge pickup. I usually play the the neck tone knob at full, and the bridge backed off around 20 percent to cut down on the shrill nature of the bridge pickup.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    CB91710 likes this.