Is there anything in music gear that attracts cats?

CalicoSkies

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 10, 2013
Beaverton, OR, USA
I have a Fender Mustang III v2 amp, with a cover on it most of the time. For some reason, my cat likes to claw at it sometimes, usually at the bottom (either at the front or back). I'm glad I have a cover on it.. She'll start to claw at it, I'll stop her, and a few minutes later, she might be back to claw at it again. It almost looks like the amp is like catnip to her. Does any of your music equipment attract your pets this way? I'm wondering what about my amp might be so interesting to my cat.

Boubou

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2009
Montreal
Cats love scratchamps, that’s why I have cover on them, actually the cats use my orange amp to climb to go to the window

cpage86

Strat-Talker
Aug 14, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
Perhaps the cat is jealous? Maybe you need to spend more time with the cat and not the amp?

My cat was exhibiting weird gear behavior yesterday, she was rolling all around on my BOSS SD-1 like it was a long lost friend. My wife was really confused and worried. Usually my cat steers clear of my gear, but man she was having a good time rubbing on that pedal.

thomquietwolf

Dr. Stratster
Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
Dec 2, 2010
Peardale CA
I have a Fender Mustang III v2 amp, with a cover on it most of the time. For some reason, my cat likes to claw at it sometimes, usually at the bottom (either at the front or back). I'm glad I have a cover on it.. She'll start to claw at it, I'll stop her, and a few minutes later, she might be back to claw at it again. It almost looks like the amp is like catnip to her. Does any of your music equipment attract your pets this way? I'm wondering what about my amp might be so interesting to my cat.
Hard cases

Good place to sleep
Good place to replace mistake the cat box

davidd47

Strat-Talker
Sep 11, 2012
non ya
The only thing they like better is pissing in an open case.
Or your shoes.Lol
Nothing like that pungent smell of cat urine when you open your case.
Those floating cat hairs, cleaning its rear on the kitchen table, the occasional bout with insanity, scratched up everything and ya still love em.
Better than stale beer and cig smoke. Yummy.
Really has a nice punch when it's humid out.

Cat people are around cat urine so much they can't smell it anymore when their cat marks it's territory.
Believe me I am a cat lover and have owned many but have also owned rental property.
Nothing more destructive than cat urine. Worse than the heaviest of cig smokers.
We had one home that looked like it had flood damage after removing all the drywall damage. Lots of KILZ.
On a wet day you still smelled it.:confused:
Cats and small dogs are coyote/bald eagle snacks where I live now. So no kitty for me.
You could say I have a love/hate relationship with cats.

jvin248

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 10, 2014
Michigan
... I'm wondering what about my amp might be so interesting to my cat.

Mice living in the amp. Or at least spending a few moments in the amp to leave their scent and 'debris'.

The amp was set down in catnip once at an outdoor gig you performed at. It still smells like catnip. Not much different than your buddy who sniffs out weed.