Is there such a thing....?

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Nick-O, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

...As a camera that you can shoot/record decent audio/video, then put straight onto your YT channel or email to someone, without needing a DAW, and/or processing into a format that can be uploaded to sent to share with others? I read that the Zoom Q8 does a good job of audio, but no info on what to do once you shoot and record.

Sorry, I have zero experience with this. I don't even have a cell phone, so be kind...please! :)

Stratbats likes this.
  2. Jasco

Jasco Strat-Talker

Getting good audio with any relatively inexpensive camera can be difficult.
    Can depend a lot on the source and your position in the room. (The position you might want a camera for good video shots might not be the same as where you would want to be in the room for best audio.)

Nick-O likes this.
  3. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Good question...
    Thanks

Old Guy and Nick-O like this.
  4. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

Yes there is, a Lumix Gh5 can do good audio and connect to wifi/hotspot and stream direct to anywhere.....but it's around 2k usd :(

Nick-O likes this.
  5. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

It can be done fairly easily with most cameras you can buy. Even a phone camera. They won't upload directly to YouTube, but most cameras record to a fairly widely supported format (such as MP4 etc.), which can be uploaded to YouTube from your PC (or from your phone, which would be easy if you used a phone camera).

Nick-O likes this.
  6. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Silver Member

If you have a computer with a camera, you can get decent results with quicktime for simultaneously recording both audio and video as a .mp4 file that you can then upload.
    For the longest time, I used the cheap usb microphone that came with the rockband videogame as a speaker mic and it worked pretty well for the audio.

Nick-O likes this.
  7. Nick-O

ok, these are encouraging replies. Thank you. I was most worried about how to upload to YT and such. I have used the camera we have but the format seems wrong and I don't know how to change that. I tried emailing and uploading to YT so figured there was a step I was missing.

8. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Don't be intimidated, this is a really easy process. Everyone has an old phone they don't use. Just ask around. Everyone upgrades their phones every couple years. I have a ton of old flip phones.

If you know someone that has an old Samsung or other smartphone that they are not using you can still use them to record video.

You can connect it to your wireless internet at home.

Once connected you record the video, then use the share function to send it directly to YT or to any device such as a PC that has a bluetooth connection, wirelessly.

I have an old phone that has a partially cracked screen that I use for photos and videos only.

Nick-O likes this.
  9. Nick-O

Hmm..this too is encouraging....especially the share function direct....assuming something like a Zoom G8 does not do that? I will see if anyone within my tiny circle has an old phone. Thanks!

10. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

:thumb:
    You get an old smartphone I'd be happy to help you through it. It's pretty easy.

Nick-O likes this.
  11. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Do you have a youtube account? I assume so.
    Then take the photo off the camera on to your computer, open the browser go to youtube, and then your youtube and upload.
    Youtube should covert whatever the video is, if it doesn't then that's another issue.

Nick-O likes this.
  12. Nick-O

Yup, I have an account. I have some audio/video on my Nikon C330, but YT says it is the wrong format. I will try and use another camera or a borrowed phone and see how it goes. No idea how to change the format, which is a shame cause I have some decent stuff. I can view it in iphoto, but I can't email it or upload it for whatever reason....so far.

13. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Google video converters. There are a ton of free ones out there that will convert most formats to whatever youtube requires. There are even ones that let you download YT vids and convert them to other formats.

Nick-O likes this.
  14. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

It looks like it uses MOV an Apple format, there are free converters for that on the web, it also has a wireless attachment that lets you share using your phone, but that attachment is extra.

Nick-O likes this.