Is this a fair trade?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by poisivede85, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Justin226

Justin226 Senior Stratmaster

Yea, I would do what the previous poster said and find another one to purchase. There’s definitely some out there that you wouldn’t have to trade your guitar away to acquire. Hopefully you’ll find one so you can look back on this post in the future and say “thank god I didn’t trade that guitar!”

trust me, I’ve traded plenty and I end up regretting it more times than not :).

drp146 likes this.
  2. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

poisivede85 and Justin226 like this.
  3. train

train Fender 1 —the met. Silver Member

Build your own

Impulsive guppy likes this.
  4. Justin226

As an aside, I’ve always thought EMG buckers are cool looking. I think it’s the matte finish. I had them on a Jackson Dinky. Another cool guitar I traded. Two reason me for that trade: neck a bit thick (see a trend?), and the Floyd Rose. No reason for a setup to be that cumbersome!

5. Dibbs

Dibbs Senior Stratmaster

Couldn't you just pay somebody that much cash, for a guitar like that, and keep your 60s Player? That sounds very high to me.

drp146, jtees4 and CB91710 like this.
  6. sale83

sale83 Strat-Talker

Classic player is a high end mexican...so no.

You can look for a dave murray signature strat, it has floyd rose(mexican model)

drp146 likes this.
  7. Reno922

Reno922 Strat-Talker

If I wanted a Strat with a Floyd Rose and EMG pickups...I wouldn't want a Strat.
    $1,000 dollars + your guitar? That's crazy.
    Just spend $1,000 dollars on a Charvel or Jackson and have your Strat plus a Shred Machine.

8. Justin226

I’d look into one of these. I played one and...quite fun. Can always swap an EMG in.

Attached Files:

drp146, Nadnitram and CB91710 like this.
  9. Impulsive guppy

Impulsive guppy Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Fender doesn’t really specialize in Floyds or EMGs, you might want to look at Schecter, ESP/LTD, Charvel, Kramer...

HazyPurple likes this.
  10. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Without stress... my life would be empty Silver Member

Charvel MiM's are great for a chunky rockin'.

Two guitars is better than one.

11. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Fender did use the American Deluxe style serial number on the Floyd Rose Classic/"Strat Special Double Locking" models for a while - most of the Floyd Rose Classics have some kind of Export-Only-style serial number, but when they changed the name they switched to using the American Deluxe style serial numbers. This one comes back as a "Floyd Rose Classic HSS (1998-2001)/Strat Special HSS (2001-2005" on Fender's lookup, but there is no photo or color listed.

I do remember the FR Classics as having the plastic truss rod plug like an MIJ/MIM instead of the walnut plug (like this one has). The EMGs are definitely a modification as the originals had 2 American Standard single coils and by this point (1998) had the Atomic humbucker; earlier ones had a DiMarzio PAF Pro humbucker.

So it looks okay to me - but the seller wants way too much for a modded guitar.

drp146 likes this.
  12. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Serial number comes back on the Fender site as "Floyd Rose® Classic HSS Stratocaster® (1998-2001; Strat Special HSS from 2001-2005)"

That pickguard is not the original, it's been cut to fit the Floyd.

I don't know what is going on with the finish under the front of the bridge.

FRBridge.jpg

Personally, I think that price is WAY too much for this guitar.

drp146 and ChrisD like this.
  13. CB91710

+1

$1000 without the trade might be closer to realistic... or maybe the trade plus $300?

I know things are most costly over there, but the trade value of the MiM is also higher over there.

drp146 and NateH like this.
  14. Justin226

One of the reasons I regret trading my Classic Player is that there doesn’t seem to be a ton in the market. I’ve seen them priced from 800-1300. They’re hard to price. A lot more Classic Series’ out there.

drp146 and CB91710 like this.
  15. Birdsong

Birdsong Strat-Talker

Nope keep your 60’s. If he wants to trade make him give you 500 extra

drp146, Justin226 and CB91710 like this.
  16. ak-25

ak-25 Strat-Talker

only one person can decide it it's a good/fair deal. There is zero point in asking people on the internet - it's not their money, they don't have to live with the choice once it's been made and why let strangers decide your fate? You may as well ask someone you meet on the street.

Your money, your decision and if it falls flat - your fault!!!!

just as an aside (ignore f you wish) - almost every single person thinks their item (whatever it's worth) has a value at least double it's real worth.

17. jackietreehorn

jackietreehorn Strat-Talker

I know guitar prices in Europe are different than in the States, and being unfamiliar with the used market, I can’t comment. But I think trading gear is like buying and selling houses. If you think you got a fair deal and you’re happy with what you got, it’s fine. The used market fluctuates and a particular guitar could only be worth x amount, but if there is only one seller, that person is setting the market.

drp146 likes this.
  18. CB91710

The used market is indeed crazy right now, but the main issue is that the two guitars in question are relatively close to each other in value.
    Seller wants the trade PLUS $1,000, it's been modified, and there's something going on around the bridge that may indicate it's been refinished.

It's way too questionable to be worth more than double the value of the OP's trade.

drp146 likes this.
  19. semka

semka Strat-Talk Member

The item appears to be in Poland, so I would be really careful with used guitars there, because there are a bunch of modified, faked and refinished guitars from Ukraine and the rest of Eastern Europe floating around.

drp146 and CB91710 like this.
  20. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I prefer the classic player 60, by a mile. That’s just me, though and is completely subjective. The EMG’s and the Floyd are a huge downgrade for me.

drp146 likes this.