Join Strat-Talk Today

is this a good soldering gun for guitar work?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by gcconspiracy, Jan 9, 2009.

1. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Strat-O-Master

2. aznrambo481

aznrambo481 Strat-O-Master

Normally, soldering pencils (the straight ones, whatever they're called :D) are used for guitar work.

3. cloner

cloner Strat-Talk Member

While your Weller is a first rate soldering gun, it is way too hot- an old hand might be able to use the 100 watt low end on the pot bodies and trem claws don't care too much. Usually 80 watt max for the pot bodies and even then you need confidence and a feel for when you have everything nailed down before backing off.Ole'Lefty

4. gcconspiracy

okay, so would a cheap 30 watt pencil iron from radio shack suit my purposes better?

5. stevo58

stevo58 Strat-Talker

yeah, but if you use it more than once spend a couple bucks more and buy a weller or ersa instead. I built all my amps with a 30-watt ersa

steven

6. gcconspiracy

what's the difference? And where can I buy a quality soldering pencil?

7. K-Line

K-Line Strat-Talker

Go to Radio Shack and get the soldering station, 20 or 40 watt switchable, Like $30 US. These work fine, just do not leave them on for oh say 2 days! Not that I have ever done that:). The 40 watt helps when soldering the trem claw.

8. cloner

cloner Strat-Talk Member

I have the RS 20-40 and it is a decent unit. My favorite is my Solderpro 70-butane power.mt

9. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I got a pencil switchable last year at Rona..........was on sale for 17.99 and works well........can be switched from 20w or 40w; for guitar wiring I use the 20w setting and never have to worry about frying the pots or switches.

10. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

I wouldn't trust one of those big guns for anything but plumbing or the like. My favorite all around electronics soldering unit is the Weller WES51. The set-up is around $100, and may be a bit overkill if you're only going to solder a few joints. A RatShack 20/40 should be fine if you're only doing a few things.

11. gcconspiracy

okay... well since this is all a first for me (I'm gonna try and solder my second tone pot to my bridge pickup since I keep it wide open on the middle pickup anyways!) I think I'll try to snag one of those Radio Shack switchable units... or I may look at Rona too (see if they have any sales on). Thanks a lot guys!

12. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Strat-Talker

The 20 watt setting works great for wiring. When soldering ground wires to the back of pots a 40 watt might be better. I like to scuff the back of the pot up with a dremel to make things easier.

13. Celeste

Celeste Senior Stratmaster

This is about the best deal going on a mid grade soldering station. It is a rebranded Hakko. Add enough tips to get the order over $50 and get a free DMM.

I have no connection with the company, I just needed a new station recently and this was the best deal on something that would not make me crazy.

14. cloner

cloner Strat-Talk Member

Vendor name please? Ole'Lefty

15. gcconspiracy

where exactly do I find this soldering station Celeste?

16. Celeste

Celeste Senior Stratmaster

17. gcconspiracy

cool... the link works... I'll have to think about it, haven't made a purchase yet, so I'm still weighing my options.

18. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

There some discussion of what big soldering guns can do to hurt not just pots but the pickups themselves. Both at the Weber Discussion Board and also IINM at Bill and Becky Lawrence's site.

19. gcconspiracy

oh wow! Good thing I haven't let it near my guitar yet! Thanks for the heads up, I was checking out the specs of my gun, and it is insane how hot that thing is capable of getting!

20. PeteG45

PeteG45 Strat-O-Master

The gun is definitely overkill for most things. I first bought a 30 watt pencil but really struggled with soldering to the backs of pots. I bought a 40 watt pencil that I now use for pots and I have my older 30 watt pencil for everything else.

Try to find a good stand for your pencil, one that keeps the tip completely enclosed just in case you decide to change the location of your pencil while it's still hot. I moved my pencil once while working on my Tele and it was about a week before I could play again. I still need to find a better stand.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.