Join Strat-Talk Today

Is this American Vintage 57 reissue

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Fahmi, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Fahmi

Fahmi Strat-Talk Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  2. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

With the pix you've supplied, it is impossible to say, but I am pretty sure I checked this one out on eBay or Reverb (can't remember which), and I saw nothing to suggest it wasn't genuine.
    It's really a beautiful body in great condition as I recall.

3. Fahmi

Fahmi Strat-Talk Member

I added eBay link to the post

dueducs likes this.
  4. dueducs

I've purchased from that buyer before. I had my eye on a 1989 AV 57 body he had. He absolutely does not talk about price, even when an item doesn't sell two or three times. In fact, last week I noticed he had another body auction that ended without sale. He relisted and added another $10 to the price for some reason.
    Also, he doesn't answer questions very well about his merchandise, at least not in my experience.
    Regardless, that body looks great and I still see nothing to suggest it is not genuine... and that seems a good price to me.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Fahmi likes this.
  5. Fahmi

Fahmi Strat-Talk Member

I agree, he didn’t reply to my question and offer.
    Thank you!

6. Fahmi

Fahmi Strat-Talk Member

what do you recommend for the bridge? The one I’m finding seems like made in Mexico part number 099-2049-000

7. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7 Strat-Talk Supporter

Seller has a 99.4 rating out of 32000 sales/buys. Pretty good rating. that's usually what I look at.

8. dueducs

The seller may have the tremolo (and other parts) that came from that body, if that interests you. Otherwise any of the American Vintage tremolos will work and that part number you gave looks correct

here are a couple ...
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=372952177845

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=223680825035

9. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Strat-Talker

Just FYI there is nothing special about the 57/62 bodies. If you like the paint job or grain, great. But as far as a 57 being different from a 54 or 62 or whatever - nope - the only difference was the pickguard. 1 vs 3 ply. It's not "authentic" by any means.

10. dueducs

Well, there is the addition of the ledge in the control cavity of the 62s to accept an extra pickguard screw.

Gevalt, Stratwrangler and Tone Guru like this.
  11. Fahmi

Fahmi Strat-Talk Member

Would you please educate me on this, what do you mean by it is not “authentic” by any means? Which one considered authentic? and what the factors that determines authenticity? I’m just learning

12. Vic Interceptor

in the real bodies of 1957 yes, not the reissues that i know of. The ledge is there regardless of screw count or which pickguard is used. Fender didn't retool just for 1 body

13. Vic Interceptor

First off, the originals were hand shaped so no 2 are exactly the same. Second, the routing changed from the 50's to the 60s, and third the reissue bodies are just production line bodies that are painted certain colors for certain models. Meaning the 57 reissue was available in a 2 tone sunburst as seen here, the 62 reissue was painted 3 tone sunburst - but the wood itself was not different in any way in the reissue. But, what I meant by "authentic" is a real 1957 body would be routed differently than a 1962 body.

Which all boils down to this - if you want a 57 reissue LOOK, you might as well buy a Jimmie Vaughan body in 2 tone sunburst if you want to save some money. The biggest difference there is the import Fender/Squiers have the narrow saddles (same as american standard) instead of the old wide style. That's pretty much it. Unless you are determined to have an american made body, there's nothing special about it, was the major point of my post.

For the record after owning a couple 57 reissues, I much prefer the Squier Classic Vibe 50s. I think it's a superior instrument in materials, build quality and tone. The American reissue offers a lacquer top coat, and the neck profile is thicker (also painted in lacquer, but on the neck there is no urethane under it) and it has a 7.25" radius instead of the better 9.5" radius of the Squier. These are all opinions and personal preferences, of course.

The best part of the American reissue is the tweed case. That's really the only thing I can find they offer better than the imports.

Fahmi likes this.
  14. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

That body the op is looking at has no ledge in it which is era correct for a 57 ? Not sure what your saying really.

15. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

From the beginning of the AVRI series in 1982 there were two bodies.
    One for the AVRI '57 without the shoulder, these used the 8 hole '50s style pickguard.
    Another for the AVRI '62 that had the cavity shoulder to accommodate post-1959 11 hole pickguards.

dueducs and Martins Strat like this.
  16. dueducs

Deleted. Basically a repeat of post #15

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.