Is this crack on strat as bad as I think ?

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by edsdds, Sep 29, 2016.

1. edsdds

edsdds Strat-Talker

So just took pick guard off Delonge strat I bought and found this. [​IMG]

Is the body doomed ?

2. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster

Hard to tell from the pic - might just be the finish. Tried poking the edge of a piece of paper in there to see how deep it is? Or shine a bright light on it. If it is just the paint cracking, no cause for concern.

3. jtees4

jtees4 Strat-O-Master

Certainly looks fairly significant. Maybe a staple or two (one prong on each side) just to keep it from getting larger. Even as bad as it looks, it probably won't cause many problems for a long time. Good luck. Pretty color!

4. edsdds

edsdds Strat-Talker

You might be right can't really get much down there with a paper. But if it's more than finish anything I need to do ?

5. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

If it goes down into the wood, I'd get one of those disposable clear bulbs with real thin tip and wick some CA glue down in there. Just a smidgeon will do it. CA is probably what you'd use on the finish crack to fill it anyway. Just don't put so much in it it runs out and makes a mess.

Personally, I don't think its much of a problem even if it goes into the wood. Lot of wood mass underneath that route.

TigerShark likes this.
  6. lammie200

lammie200 Senior Stratmaster

I wouldn't give it a second thought if I were you. The shoulder of the neck pocket is still intact and that is the bearing point for the neck as far as the string tension is concerned. The whole portion of the body from that crack to the other side of the neck pocket, if it were to crack in a similar fashion, could likely be removed without detriment.

7. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Strat-O-Master

i wouldnt worry about that at all...string it up and play it...that is a great color by the way i agree...if you are though put a tape on both sides and flood it from above with superglue or epoxy to fill the crack....personally i think its a nice battle scar and the guitar ll play just like its supposed to play....

8. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I wouldn't worry about it. Super glue it up and get back to playing. ;)

9. edsdds

edsdds Strat-Talker

Sounds good and thanks for the tips. I actually want a beat up strat and this one is worn just enough. I don't want a super new anything that I'm scared to touch lol.

danlad likes this.
  10. Vinnie1971

Vinnie1971 Senior Stratmaster

I wouldn't worry. About half my guitars with bolt on necks have some kind of crack in the lacquer. None are structural. But if any were, I would go to gear for music and get myself another full depth solid bass wood body already finished for £35 to £40 depending on finish.
    The only downside is you need to be good at measuring, marking and drilling because you only get a routed HSH body, no holes at all are drilled.

11. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Get a bottle of 'thin' CA glue and just press the tip to the crack and it will wick in there. Use a bottle of 'thick' CA glue to fill the top or use the thin a second time. Hobby Lobby is where I got mine and the bottles seem to protect the glue that I still use them a year or more later after opening.

Make sure you take the neck off before you do this. And don't do it on your lap. One of the other builders on TDPRI forum spilled half a bottle on their pants and the glue is exothermic so it burned like mad while it stuck their pants to their thigh.

12. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

Does the crack extend into the neck side of the pocket and as far down as the pic shows?

If so.................... I would repair this properly:
    Drill a tiny hole through at the crack-end and then cyanoacrylate or hide glue the crack. The neck pocket might need a touch more room for that neck.

cheers

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016