Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Is This Ethical?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Stratopat, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Stratopat

Stratopat Strat-Talk Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Wisconsin
    So, I was at Guitar Center this evening and there was a guy playing a used Richie Kotzen tele. I asked him what he thought of the Chopper pup in the bridge because I have been thinking of getting one for one of my Teles. Long story short, one of the sales guys is appraising an American Standard Tele he wants to trade in for the Kotzen. Knowing how GC works, I casually tell him, whatever they offer, I'll beat it by 100.00. The sales guy comes back and offers him 500 for it. I walk out the door with an American Tele for 600.00. Worked out for everyone......except GC.

va.jdick, Scottyb, Mandrax and 11 others like this.

2. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    Guess it depends what glasses you look through.

If you were a business owner would you be happy?

3. Ace38

Ace38 Strat-Talker

Aug 8, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Most places will usually show you the door for such behavior. But..did the guy buy the Kotzen?

Uncle Bob and gwjensen like this.

4. Stratopat

Dec 5, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, he bought it. It was a sweet guitar. We didn't do the deal right in the store. We actually went to the parking lot and did the exchange. As far as the salesman knows, he kept his trade and paid cash for the Kotzen.

Matt Rain and Bob the builder like this.

5. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Hmmm.... Shades of gray. So...

Perhaps the scenario not explained was that the OP had this discussion with the guy before he asked for the GC trade-in price. If that's the case, it wasn't unethical as they both were using GC to establish a base price. Now, the OP knew that GC was going to come in with a low-ball price, so the deck was stacked, so to speak.

Now if the OP were just standing at the sales counter overhearing the conversation and then threw another $100 on top of GC's bid... Well, that's another story. But it doesn't sound like that. It sounds like the discussion ensued long before the GC quote. Yes?

john lavelle and 93-Strat like this.

6. Otisblove

Otisblove Strat-O-Master

May 20, 2016
    Chicago
    I don't have a problem with it.

kwikrp and Mr BC like this.

7. Stratopat

Dec 5, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Correct, my conversation with the seller took place before the GC salesperson had made an offer. I never discussed the deal in the presence of the salesperson. The seller had the opportunity to choose between the 2 offers.

93-Strat likes this.

8. jjudas

jjudas Strat-O-Master

May 18, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Sounds like a good "ethical" deal to me. Especially in the company of sharks at GC.

jball85, Crotch and LOL@gibson like this.

9. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-Talker

Aug 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville, OH
    Nothing unethical about how you did it. I've had people do the same thing with me.

Ezekiel_S likes this.

10. Mr BC

Mr BC Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2012
    NC
    Sounds totally fine. The guys getting the appraisal sounds like he was prepared to accept the GC appraisal, so to him another 100 is cherry. He should've done more digging on how GC determines appraisal amounts. That's moot, however, it was a win-win. As for GC, they are fully aware of what they are doing.

Ezekiel_S and LOL@gibson like this.

11. Mr BC

Mr BC Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2012
    NC
    No, not at all. It's all just business right? I'd even mention the +$100 sweetener at the counter with the GC guy there. No one is obligated to do anything. The guy looking to get the Am tele appraised ought to have better known the worth of his guitar. Besides, GC sold their Kotzen guitar.... everybody's happy.

RevBillyG and larscaster like this.

12. Chief101

Chief101 Strat-O-Master

Jan 14, 2012
    Kentucky
    The business owner sold a guitar, didn't have his profit wrapped up in a trade hanging on the wall, and the customer left happy.

Do you think the business owner was happy?

ivan H, Uncle Bob and LOL@gibson like this.

13. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

The issue here is that the deal was made inside GC with someone shopping at GC. By the standards being used here to define ethical, I could drive my car into the parking lot of GC with a bunch of guitars in the trunk and a bunch of cash in the glovebox then go prowl GC and listen in on the deals being made and make various offers to the customers.

Would that still be considered ethical?

D

14. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

Jan 30, 2016
    Fulton MO
    Only thing that would make this unethical, in my view, would be if the OP actually worked for GC. Otherwise, I have no problem with this.

LOL@gibson and BallisticSquid like this.

15. Stratopat

Dec 5, 2016
    Wisconsin
    That's the question isn't it? I didn't go into the store looking for a tele. It was only after conversing with the buyer and finding out he was trading a guitar that the idea came about. I don't even need another tele, the only reason I made the offer was because 1) I knew they would give him less than what it's worth and I could help him out and 2) I could get a guitar I could either keep or flip for a little cash. I have to admit, it felt a little dirty. I do feel better about the fact that the seller and I had been in conversation for about 5 minutes before the trade came up, I wasn't trolling for deals.

16. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sure. I posted not because I am interested in judging your behavior, I posted just to point out some possible flaws in how we view these things. It's never really as simple as people want it to be.

D

wildhawk likes this.

17. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    I don't know about ethical. It is not Unethical. You offered a better price in a competitive market. GC had the option to beat your price. They do not give a very good price for used gear; It may be better than the 1/3 value that a pawn shop would offer, but it is still not often a good price.

18. larscaster

larscaster Strat-O-Master

Feb 19, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    Not unethical.
    It's a business deal.
    Mrs Larscaster and I were trading in our phones at Verizon for $40 each and a guy in line offered us $50 each.
    The Verizon rep just asked us to do the deal outside.

montemerrick likes this.

19. Stratopat

Dec 5, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Completely as I took it, and agree. I want to feel that what I did was ok, but there's part of me that feels it was a little snakey, or at least opportunistic. There is that idea that , "If I can get enough people to tell me it's ok, then it must be ok". As you point out, what is the true underlying motive here. The reality is that I took advantage of a situation. I can sugar coat it and make justifications, but that is the reality. So the real question is, is it ok to take advantage of a situation? Again, as you point out, it's not a simple yes or no question. The force is strong with this one. You may proceed to level 3.

20. Chief101

Chief101 Strat-O-Master

Jan 14, 2012
    Kentucky
    You did GC a favor. Reduced their capital tied up in inventory and helped them make a profit via the sale of a product in inventory. They'd rather sell outright than trade any day.