Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Is This Ethical?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Stratopat, Apr 20, 2017.

1. ashtray

ashtray Strat-Talker

Mar 15, 2017
    LA
    Surprised GC offer was that high. Its a bit unethical but I always try to hang around when someone is trading in gear. I've never gotten involved, but I've seen people bring stuff in and have watched GC seriously low ball them or upsell them on another guitar or expensive pedal for a beginner.

2. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    Ethical?
    In a perfect world everybody would just do the right thing and there wouldn't be any need for negotiating, etc.

Did you do something immoral? Certainly not. Did you violate some unwritten law of guitar store decorum...? I would say that if it mattered to any of those involved, it wouldn't be unwritten... It would be in bold face type.

Would GC be in their rights to kick your butt to the curb? Yep. But did you do anything wrong? Nope. Sounds like you did it exactly right...out of earshot. If it mattered so much to GC, they could have made a better offer.

But Ethical?
    Clearly you haven't turned on the news lately...There is no such thing any more.

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    If you have to second-guess it, it may not have been ethical...

gwjensen and wildhawk like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member

Since I am the devil's advocate here I will bring up a couple of points just for fun:

It is entirely possible that there was ANOTHER SHOPPER in that store that wanted the guitar that was potentially traded in. Therefore, it's possible that GC was deprived of profit on that transaction.

I don't know how GC does their stuff and I have no idea how music stores work today, but back in the day, I worked on a quota for sales, and at times salary plus commission. Again, a hypothetical, but it's possible that an individual sales person is impacted when these kind of deals go by.

D

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Neil.C and Yogi like this.
  6. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    That was a swift and smart move in my world.

7. aviamsi

aviamsi Strat-O-Master

Aug 31, 2015
    Israel
    NO.
    So what now, will you sell it back to GC for 500 ? ;)

8. Micheal Stratston

Micheal Stratston Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Ethical or not I have my own thoughts on guitar center so I'll just say happy NGD.

Ronnie12460 likes this.
  9. brians

brians Strat-Talker

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    Is this anti establishment blues?
    Nothing wrong

10. Dadocaster

Are ethics adjustable depending upon whether you "have thoughts" about one of the parties involved? :D

D

11. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    I think it sounds like a win/win/win. GC still got to sell the Kotzen, right? I don't know abou GC but the music stores around here will favor a cash deal over a trade in any day.

RevBillyG likes this.
  12. rolandson

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    May I "devil" back?

There was. The OP. And he paid the owner of the guitar a C note more for it than GC was offering. The morality of the transaction would apply only if the original owner had agreed to trade it in and then backed out due to interference from a third party.

But as the OP tells it, he made his offer to beat their's prior to knowing what their's was. Therein lies considerable risk. Had GC made a substantial offer, knowing of an interested buyer, the OP would have found himself paying more, perhaps above market more.

In our Ferengi-esk society, business is as business does...there is no right or wrong, good or bad, moral or immoral...

There is only profit...and in this case, everybody got some.

ETA:
    I was in a pharmacy today. A fellow ahead of me was being told that his pharmacy insurance wouldn't cover a Shingles vaccine and it would cost him $200+ for it. He didn't want to pay that much so he left. I caught his attention and apologized for overhearing... and then told him that often a vaccine given in a physician's office is treated as a medical thing as opposed to a prescription thing and that he might have better success talking to his Dr.

Now, I wonder...did I potentially interfere with the pharmacy making money? Why didn't the pharmacy tell him to talk to his doctor? What is the ethical obligation? Who has an ethical obligation?

All I know is that as he was leaving, before I spoke to him, he looked ... unhappy. After I spoke with him he smiled and thanked me and looked happy.

Would the pharmacy be within their rights to boot my ass to the curb?

13. Dadocaster

Wouldn't that be "Ferengi-esque?"

Tone Guru and rolandson like this.
  14. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Just as long as you don't forget the Rules of Acquisition...

Yogi and rolandson like this.
  15. rolandson

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    Yes, yes it would.

No wonder spell check was having kittens. I thought it was because of the 'Ferengi' , but as I didn't have any difficulty typing it just now, clearly my lousy vocabulary-spelling skills were at fault.

I just blew it didn't I? I could have said that spell check screwed it up...

But to tell a lie would be...
    Unethical !

Incidentally, I added a something to my devil back while you were offering a critique of my use of French...thought I should mention it...

16. Dadocaster

Too confusing to re-quote your edits.

It was yet another great story and possibly highlights that good intentions could be considered unethical by another interested party. Eating curb at CVS would not be pretty.

And still you insist that you can't write lyrics. By my standards you may have written more than one in the last few posts.

Baby, Vaccinate me for Free

And,

The Ballad of the Ethical Ferengi

D

rolandson likes this.
  17. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Last seen sober in 1978 Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    England
    What does ethics have to with offering more money than GC. What's ethical about GC (or any other guitar dealer) offering much less than the value of the guitar?

Ethics be damned, we're talking about money ...

18. Dadocaster

Stated like a citizen of the USA.

D

19. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland
    Nothing unethical there, using GC's sales environment to do your bidding was a bit borderline but as it was an opportunist event and not an active prowl then that's fine.

The only place I would find real fault is in the first GC offer, I don't know how GC operate but I would never accept any first offer. I would tell them I'd like more on the trade or some money off the Kotzen (which is the same thing dressed differently) and then look at the net deal.

20. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Last seen sober in 1978 Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    England
    Yorkshiremen were tightfisted before the US of A was thought of. :p

T Guitar Floyd and jofish like this.
  21. martynrss2

martynrss2 Strat-Talker

Feb 9, 2010
    Aberdeen
    I see no problem with it. They know that their trade in prices are not going to be as good as the guy would get on the market, it's just more convenient.

Same thing happened to me when I worked at Apple. Customer was trading in his phone and the guy beside me said he'd pay and extra £20 for it. I said that's between them if they want to do it. I said I would wipe his phone for peace of mind but my only request was that they do their transaction outside of the store.

It's just business, no different to going to a store next door because they have you a better deal.