Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Is This Ethical?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Stratopat, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    USA
    Not really.

They make more money, bottom line, because not only do they sell the Kotzen Tele but they profit again on the trade they take in when it gets sold.

So GC would've made money twice on the trade in/and sale deal.

I still see nothing unethical on your part. Business is business.

Yogi likes this.
  2. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    If you have to ask..... I'd say in the grand scheme of life it's a pretty mild transgression, but you did take future profits from the store while on their turf.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  3. wildhawk

wildhawk Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2014
    Midwest
    This ^^^

Aka go to an auction if you want to be the high bidder.

RevBillyG likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. nadzab

nadzab Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

If unethical at all, it's a pretty mild transgression. Sleep soundly tonight.

Mansonienne and Dadocaster like this.
  6. suncrush

suncrush Senior Stratmaster

Mar 25, 2014
    Florida
    Man, people do this in card shops ALL THE TIME. Not unethical in any way, and some uptight people around here.

7. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Who the heck cares about ethics when it comes to guitar buying? The only ethical thing I care about is making sure or being reasonably sure that what I'm buying isn't stolen. Otherwise, I don't care. I'd do what the OP did in a heartbeat.

Mr BC and Cerb like this.
  8. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Strat-O-Master

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    You got a guitar you wanted, the seller got more$$ than he would have and G/C made a sale
    I don't see a problem. It's not un ethical...it's smart buying.

Mr BC likes this.
  9. Bob the builder

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    G/C policy near me will go as high as 60% of what they are going to resell at. Believe me, I build up cheap collections to trade in towards better guitars. Last time I traded in 3 plus cash for 1. Kinda like a savings plan. I know Im spending more in a long run, but at least I have a good time w/ the cheapies until I find another keeper

10. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 13, 2015
    cascadia
    no. no ethical violation. it wasn't against the law and it wasn't against society's best interest and it certainly wasn't against the owner of the guitar, whoever that might have been at any point in the transaction...

Fendereedo likes this.
  11. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

May 7, 2014
    UK
    Good trade, enjoy the Tele - that should be the only thing on your mind @Stratopat!

12. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    This is my feeling on it. I have a feeling if this were mom and pop guitar store and not GC people would feel differently, but since GC is the devil it's cool to stick it to the man. At the end of the day I don't think it's the most egregious offense, but if it were my store I'd be a bit ticked off.

Boris Bubbanov and gwjensen like this.
  13. Krex1010

Krex1010 Strat-Talker

Aug 10, 2014
    Pa
    Completely ethical. The seller has the right to sell to the highest bidder and you as a buyer have the right to buy from whomever you want.

And I personally have been told by GC when considering trading in an amp that if I wanted more money then I should sell it privately.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  14. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

It's my feeling that a guitar store should give the same value when taking in a guitar as they will sell it for later. Trying to profit twice from the same customer to me violates ethics way more. So, if you owned a mom and pop shop I'd say raise your offer if you didn't want those things to happen. They offered the guy 500 they would probably try to sell it for 800 or 900 now all of a sudden selling the original brand new guitar nets them $1000 in profit when ordinarily it would have been 600....

T Guitar Floyd likes this.
  15. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 13, 2015
    cascadia
    the idea that "having to ask" proves the violation is absurd and not worthy of modern society.

16. Yogi

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    While I agree with you generally, however you don't have a right to do it in someone else's property though. Its like GC was used as a consignor/advertiser without getting a cut of the sale.

gwjensen likes this.
  17. Yogi

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    businesses are allowed to make a profit. They also have to pay for overhead, leasing a space, employees, shelf space etc. That used item they purchase for 500 could sit on a shelf waiting for a buyer for months, maybe even years if its not a hot item. Don't get me wrong I am as liberal as they come, but there is nothing wrong with a business making a profit through legitimate means.

18. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind Strat-Talk Supporter

May 12, 2015
    north and east
    1 willing seller
    2 willing buyers
    buyer who makes the best offer gets the item, seller gets more money, and the lower bidder still makes a sale

that defines a win/win/win

no, there was nothing unethical about it at all

Fendereedo likes this.
  19. Chief101

Chief101 Strat-O-Master

Jan 14, 2012
    Kentucky
    Potential profit not yet realized. Maybe it will sell for a profit, maybe it won't. Maybe it will hang there for months. Still, their capital is tied up in a used guitar that has potential profitability v. a straight sale that in all likelihood creates cash flow and profit. Less risk for GC in the straight sale.

The question I have is ...... if you were the original buyer that had the Tele for trade, which deal would you take?

20. Mr BC

Mr BC Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2012
    NC
    Now I know I'm not seeing any GC apologists here.... whether it's their sales environment or a mom and pop store, they are all freelyparticipating in a competitive market. Some of the logic almost sounds like we shouldn't be using Craigslist or any face to face personal transactions to buy gear, because we are depriving the stores a chance to make trades. Oh the horror... if I owned a music store and didn't want people sniping used gear deals, I'd make sure to offer fair deals for trade-ins. What's unethical is trying to squeeze maximal profit out of people by offering peanuts for gear and trying to play them for some kind of fool.

21. Bob the builder

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    Impossible , why would they want to sell for what they paid. Thats just tying up money for who knows how long, and no profit. Would you let me have $600 until I can pay you back? Oh, by the way, I don't know when I can

Krex1010 likes this.