Is this guitar a fake?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by davidrf, Aug 11, 2021.

1. davidrf

davidrf Strat-O-Master

Hi there,
    I found this guitar on sale at a very good price (450€) but I'm not sure about some things.

https://imgur.com/a/DVoq1xO

(Please check all the pics in this link)

1) The seller says he bought the guitar used and can't be sure if the pickups are the original ones. Shouldn't be Classic Series pickup covers and knobs pretty yellowed? From the pics they look white without any "aging". Could the whole pickguard be not original?

2) The serial number does not give any result on Fender website check... what?

3) I don't know if it's the perspective but the shape looks odd at certain angles.

Anyone? Thanks

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  2. TobyW

TobyW Strat-Talk Member

The pickguard has probably been swapped, as a Classic '50s should have a single-layer pickguard. I'm also not aware of Sonic Blue having been a color option for the Classic '50s (Daphne Blue was), but there might have been a special run.

davidrf likes this.
  3. davidrf

davidrf Strat-O-Master

Maybe it's a daphne blue that looks funny on camera. Nice observation about the pickguard, though... I didn't notice it was a 3 ply.

4. TobyW

TobyW Strat-Talk Member

I'm pretty sure it's Sonic Blue, but I see other Classic '50s in this color online. The decals look good to me (and why would someone fake a MIM guitar), so I'd say that this guitar is legit.

davidrf likes this.
  5. Ace38

Ace38 Senior Stratmaster

Guitar looks ok to me. As far as the SN not coming up? It's up to the dealer to register that, Fender doesn't. So if whatever store it was originally purchased from didn't register it for whatever reason, that's your reason.

pazman6 and davidrf like this.
  6. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Strat-O-Master

3641CE21-D710-4AB0-9C09-5DE49A281A0A.png So… serial does actually check out. Did you maybe mix up the numbers?

7. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

The MX12 serial number should be 2012 and made in Mexico. I woulda thought they'd have all those serial numbers in the database, but ya never know.

It looks like a MIM to me, although the pickguard probably isn't original--not only should it be 1-ply, it should have a different number of screw holes. I can't comment on the pickups.

I think it's got a different string tree on it as well. That's the tree that comes on the Standard. If this turned out to be a Standard, or some other real Fender Mexico model, would you still want it for this price?

jpmist and davidrf like this.
  8. Ace38

Ace38 Senior Stratmaster

Or didn't capitalize MX. That's the one weird thing about Fender's site, you have to have those letters in capital.

9. davidrf

davidrf Strat-O-Master

I didn't mix up and I capitalized MX, I double checked... I don't know why it didn't work.

Absolutely not. For that price I can find "as new" Players any day of the week. I would be interested only if it was a real Classic 50s, regardless of the pickups/pickguard.

dirocyn likes this.
  10. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

or not capitalize the letters?

BuffaloHound and FrieAsABird like this.
  11. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

I'd ask for pics of the underside of the pickguard. Who knows? What's in it might be an upgrade.

jpmist likes this.
  12. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-O-Master

It’s body, neck, and bridge are original. I’ve owned a couple of those. You can ask the seller to open up the hood and take a bunch of pictures, but most people willing to do that post those types of pictures in the original ad.
    In dollars that’s a $528 guitar. If I had to guess I’d say it’s more likely that a previous owner upgraded the pickguard (and maybe pickups), than the other way around. But I’d only buy this if I was ok paying this price assuming the plate and pups are Squier.
    Yes, original pup covers were mint green. These are white.

13. FrieAsABird

If that’s what it seems to be- a classic series 50s Strat- I’d go for it if I liked the Color and had the money to spare. Neck is definitely Orginal and the Color assigned on fender website matches, so the one thing that may have been messed with is electronics. Pickguard seems to be changed as mentioned above, but if it’s got the stock pickups that’s not a problem in my eyes :)

jpmist likes this.
  14. jpmist

jpmist Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

The first thing I noticed is the pickguard which should have 8 screws, not 11. And the back of the neck read "soft V" to me which argues for it being authentic. Along with others, if you like the price get it, but only after you see the other side of the pickguard to see how much of a partscaster you're presented with.

FrieAsABird likes this.
  15. davidrf

davidrf Strat-O-Master

The seller won't open up the hood, he says he never did something like thit and doesn' want to mess around with it. So the choice is to buy this guitar without knowing what pickup/electronics it mounts. The price would be nice anyways, because in my market (Italy) a used Classic Series 50s sells at least for 550/600€. Now I have to decide...

FrieAsABird and jpmist like this.
  16. FrieAsABird

I really like the color, and I have always been a fan of the vintage style Strats. I would go for it, that's a good price in my opinion. Last time I bought a classic 50s Strat, I paid 550 shipped, and back then, I didn't even know how to set it up properly so I sold it again. Don't be a fool like me and grab this one, if you have the money :)

17. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

It's 100% legit, it checks out on Fender's site, and I can TELL by the pole shape and stagger that those are the original Classic Series 50s pickups. Not everyone likes the aged white pickups/knobs and single ply parchment pickguard look - I think it was done for aesthetics.

There have been a lot of opinions in this thread not based in what you actually see in the photos....just speculation

I think you would be silly to not buy this....

18. davidrf

davidrf Strat-O-Master

Wow thanks... very useful! Hopefully I'll post a NGD thread soon.

19. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

davidrf likes this.
  20. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

It looks OK to me, but nowhere near as beautiful as some of the guitars you already have. :)

davidrf likes this.