Is this is a good deal?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by SonOfLerome, Nov 6, 2020.

1. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Well it has changed pickups, definitely not a plus.
    There are alot of pictures, a few close ups, and not a single picture that shows the lower frets. I would pass on this guitar.

But if you really want it the seller says "open to offers", so don't buy at full asking price.

Edit: The guitar doesn't have the high "E" or "B" string on it......why? I don't know but it certainly doesn't point to great guitar that an owner played and took care of.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  2. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

People here can help you AVOID something going wrong. Looks like that's what several people are trying to do. There's not a whole lot anyone can do after it goes wrong.

What's the attraction to that specific guitar anyway? Even if what it is represented to be, it's no more than a fair example of that.

Up to you. But when you calculate potential costs, include the value of your time, and return shipping, if it comes to that.

Isca and runningonempty like this.
  3. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Strat-Talker

I just really like vintage stuff. especially 50's spec

4. Dirtsquirrel

Dirtsquirrel Strat-Talker

No reason to risk buying internationally for a 50's spec Stratocaster in your price range. Look at new and used at stores in your region. Check Guitar Center used. They have ship to store and return to store. Also FB Marketplace and Craigslist. Pawnshops too. Look at how Lonn scores his deals. Don't get hung up on one particular guitar when there are plenty more coming up for sale daily including those being listed by forum members here.

StummerJoe, SonOfLerome and Baelzebub like this.
  5. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Then...since you're 15...you have plenty of time. If your current guitar is a MIM Standard...play it.

If you have to scratch a 50's itch...get a CV50's.

But...I'd stick with what you have. Play it. Play the music you want to play. Learn. And most of all have fun. :)

6. Caffiend

Caffiend Strat-Talk Member

My old mid 80’s E-series 60’s RI Squier Strat was and is a gem if you dig the 7.25 radius, tall frets and poly doesn’t turn you off. It was about 18mo old when I bought it SH for £150 in a local small store. It was probably the first decent guitar I’d had at 14 or so. The pickups sucked (ceramic bar magnets) and were replaced a few times as tastes changed) and it got covered in stickers and cleaned up again and dented as my teens progressed and tastes changed. I’ve still got it now although it’s currently in quarantine on a farm in the middle of nowhere.

My rambling point is, if you can stretch $500, don’t buy internationally especially collectable models that are prone to being faked/hacked about. $500 can buy a lot of guitar if you’re patient. Places like Ishibashi can be great for hunting rare stuff but all the rules about knowing what you’re looking at apply and when international, you have to consider as mentioned, if you want to return then you’re basically giving the guitar back for free as shipping both ways plus taxes will be on you and not refunded.

I’d honestly consider taking time and once your funds are in place touring stores playing guitars and searching for the right neck and acoustic tone in your price range, and buy on the spot when you find them. Assuming we aren’t talking collectables, everything else can be sorted as time and funds allow.

SonOfLerome and Guitarmageddon like this.
  7. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

There is no such thing as a Squier 60s reissue, it's VERY VERY common in the UK for sellers to call them such though, it seems a plague......you must have an ST-362 Standard. A 'reissue' would not have modern 10mm Gotoh tuners, 2 string trees, or a Squier logo......

Andrew Wasson and Caffiend like this.
  8. Caffiend

Caffiend Strat-Talk Member

:p Yep, point taken. Back in the 80’s the term ‘reissue’ was used pretty liberally and essentially 50’s meant maple neck and 60’s meant rosewood. The fact that 80’s copies are under the microscope these days is pretty much mind blowing!

I’d really make no claims about that guitar (mine not the advert that started the thread) other than the neck, body, paint, plastics (except pickup covers) trem (except saddles) frets and machines are all original. It survived through the years of chopping and changing reasonably well and is still a perfectly viable instrument. They were honestly pretty good guitars but I’d rate my MiM CP60’s far higher now it’s had a new bridge block courtesy of Celtrocka.

9. BailsGAS

BailsGAS Strat-Talk Member

Oh heck yeah!!

10. GlockandRoll

GlockandRoll Strat-Talk Member

If the truss rod works and the frets aren't shot, you can always put the pickups in of yoru choice. That's potentially a lot of guitar for the money. I'm actually tempted!

11. barnett25

barnett25 New Member!

The "DiMarzio Collection" pickups were featured in a line of upper spec strats from Japan called the "Vintage Special with DiMarzio Collection Pickups". That looks like a ST57-DMC/VSP which was a 123,900 yen guitar, and would have featured an alder body, CTS pots, steel trem block, and an oval neck shape. These had nitrocellulose top coats, but that was over a poly base coat, so not quite the same effect as a pure nitro finish. I have the rosewood board version (ST62) and it is the best strat I have ever played. The pickups are vintage voiced alnicos, and this is my only MIJ strat with quality electronics and hardware all around.

Note, this is all assuming that those pickups weren't pulled from another guitar.

12. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Strat-Talker

You think so? Is there anyway to concretley tell through the photos?

13. barnett25

barnett25 New Member!

The wood is definitely Alder, but that was used in lower end Japanese models as well. The pickups are the main giveaway because they are not common, and I am only aware of them being used for a few years on this upscale line from Fender Japan. Obviously pickups are easily swapped, but I see nothing else on the guitar that would be out of place for this model. So if someone swapped pickups they happened to swap them into a very similar guitar. If you take the pick guard off there should be an ink stamp in the neck pickup cavity that says 57-DMC, and the neck heal will also be marked "DMC" in marker. But obviously we have no pictures to verify this.

Isca and SonOfLerome like this.
  14. DPC18

DPC18 New Member!

Likewise mine is 35years old

15. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Well... I just had a look and it’s 14% off. Mine shows the Canadian price of $609.78 CAD which translates to $470 US Dollars. That seems like a lot of guitar for very little outlay. I like Japanese guitars. I like them a lot. I’ve got a small collection of Ibanez guitars from the 80’s and I’ve got a Jazz bass from Fender Japan. I’ve got 3 Strats so I’m good but if I were looking for another Strat, I would jump on that guitar.

shipping is a bit pricey but it’s a long trip from Japan to North America.

drp146 likes this.
  16. runningonempty

runningonempty Strat-Talk Member

that’s great that your parents trust you enough to spend money online on your own. but you have to be careful not to erode that trust in making stupid purchases. some of the guys in this thread have made very good points and if i was you i’d find a guitar i liked locally rather than buying one off of photos from the other side of the world.

with that said what did you end up doing? since this thread is from the beginning of the month