Join Strat-Talk Today

Is this overkill? Need vs. want

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by mainframe, Mar 24, 2019.

1. mainframe

mainframe New Member!

Like all thing gear related, want usually wins over need. I need a small practice amp. My initial thought was Roland Cube micro. It would probably be just fine for what I need. Or the Yamaha THR10. You know, something small that doesn't get too loud (I share the house with a wife) but also has some different types of sounds. I'm just starting our again and a 30 year layoff and I wasn't very good then. I get a practice amp is all I need.

But then I start thinking, which usually gets me in trouble. I've heard the Boss Katana line and like them. The Katana 50 sounds interesting for not much more than the Micro cube and less than the Yamaha. The Katana 100 isn't that much more than the Katana 50 and only a little more than the Yamaha. Then I found out the Katana 100 head has a 5 inch speaker and I could use it as a practice amp for now, and someday get a cabinet if I needed to play with others. I realize that probably isn't that likely but you never know. I also realize that any of the Katana amps would be set to .5 most of the time.

It should be pointed out I'm 62 years old, so really the idea is just to have fun. Although I did go to Berkee when I was a kid for a couple of years as a drummer and do have a bit of theory happening.

The cash isn't a problem. Am I nuts?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  2. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

Sounds like you're gonna have fun regardless of what you get. I would recommend something that at a later time you could play with others.
    I'm just south of you (Tacoma area) and about your age...maybe one day...

Welcome to ST

3bolt79, JustABluesGuy and Nadnitram like this.
  3. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

The head or the 1x12 100w.

I went for the combo, because a cab & head were a bit too much at the time. It's light too and I love it.

make sure you also get the footswitch, because most of the amps featureset are far more easily controlled through the footswitch.

and it sounds great in 0.5w mode at 11:30pm on a sunday night.

4. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Senior Stratmaster

Those will all be fine for practice and jams and the Katana 100 would be giggable in the future as well.

None are all that expensive. Multiple effects are great, and allow you to try a lot of them as well. Then if you ever decide to go with a different amp and pedals you will know what effects are important to you.

I started with a practice amp and a pretty good muti-effects pedal. I found that for my style, I gravited to a few certain effects and amp models, that informed my later amp and pedal decisions when I upgraded.

5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

I'm surprised you're not going for broke with something like a Twin Reverb.

6. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Big welcome to Strat-Talk.

I have both the Katana 100 combo and just got the Kat head. Love them both. That said, I wouldn't call the 100 Combo "small". It's medium sized and somewhat heavy. The Kat head is obviously smaller but the little internal speaker is just for "light" practice. i.e. the small speaker puts out small volumes............... similar to the THR10 (I had one). That said, I got the Kat head for when I want to wander around the house with a light setup. The Kat head sounds insanely good when driving my custom 10-12 cabinet.

7. mainframe

mainframe New Member!

If I went for broke I'd probably get a Mesa Boogie. For some reason always wanted one of those. So when I say cash isn't the problem I should qualify that by saying I don't really want to spend more than the Katana Artist level. Thought about that too. (want). I did see a Twin Reverb at GC but also saw the 1500 price tag. And I get that's way more than I either need or want. I do find the Katana head intriguing as I can use just it with its 5 inch speaker as a practice amp then later get a cabinet to go along with it. But is it a waste to get the head and mostly just use the .5 setting.

gofmusic likes this.
  8. Jeffl

Jeffl Strat-Talker

the speaker in the head might not sound that great. You could get the Katana 50, then you could jam with others too. Then again, i love my Microcube:)

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  9. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

I've had all sorts of amps over the years, but until recently I have been playing through a practice amp (THR10C) for the last four years. IMO, it helped focus me a little.
    About a year or so back, I decided I wanted/needed a tweed. I WANTED a tweed Super, but just NEEDED something to keep up with a drummer (akin to your need vs want dilemma).
    In the end, I opted for a Vibrolux (12 watts) vs the Super (~28 watts). I still WANT a Super, but I'm very happy with my decision because I can use the 12 watts of the Vibrolux and likely could not have utilized the Super in the same way.
    The point being, make the choice that allows you to utilize the amp to it's best ability for your needs/desired tone.

93-Strat and jrbirdman like this.
  10. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

The Micro Cube is a good little amp, I used one for 10 years. I got the Katana 50 a couple of years ago. Now I use the Katana for everything, it's more than capable of holding it's own for jamming, rehearsal and gigs.

JB74 likes this.
  11. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

maybe look at a Tweed Deluxe 5E3 clone.

93-Strat likes this.
  12. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

I just bought a Katana 100. It is pretty cool (and has 3 power settings)

JB74 likes this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Get a multi effects pedal, older used one that costs less than $50. Like a Line 6 POD, Zoom, Digitech RP line. That will give you more than enough tones to play. If not, get a Joyo American Sound pedal that has a wide range of output tones.

Get a small bare-bones practice amp to run that pedal into. CL under $50 like a Peavey Rage158 or Crate or whatever, you really only need the clean channel. However, lately I have been using a Line 6 Spider 4 15w that has four presets so I can punch in to each and play fifteen minutes rather than twisting knobs for ten of that time (these amps ship with the presets on all wonky metal and have a noise reduction option set so you will need to reprogram). Even a Squier 10G beginner amp for $20 used will make some noise and give you a headphone out option.

Get a looper pedal. It's almost as good as playing out with someone in terms of improving your playing ability. Kokko/Ammoon clone of a Ditton Mini runs around $25.

14. mainframe

mainframe New Member!

Well, I walked into GC at lunch today with the idea of getting the Katana 50. But they had a used Katana 100 and GA-FC together for 299.00. It looked in new condition I didn't see a blemish. So I got that. Maybe not the best deal but I'm good. And I've got 45 days to suss it out. Thanks for the advice.

JB74, henderman and Bob the builder like this.
  15. DickBanks

DickBanks Strat-O-Master

Seems like a really good deal to me. Congrats!

16. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

nothing succeeds like excess

17. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

My advice would be work out first what kind of amp you want, then buy the best you can afford in that category. It’s cheaper on the long run to buy something quality once... Boss Katana 50 would be an excellent general purpose amp. I played with a thr10 for years - my daughter has it now for her guitar and as a stereo for her room which it’s perfect for. It was a great practice amp and very discreet so ‘er indoors didn’t moan about it being in the lounge...

If your not cash constrained a modeller something like an Amplifire and a powered FRFR speaker would sound great too.

You could also look at software modellers and powered monitors - the current generation of modelling plug ins is pretty much indistinguishable to real tube amps and cabs now. That’s the route I went down which makes recording easy too.

There is something about having a real amp and real pedals with knobs to twiddle though that’s quite satisfying.

Also consider all the electronic modelling amps are landfill waiting to happen as they are pretty much unfixable and there is always a latest’ model nagging you to upgrade. A nice hand wired tube amp will last forever and still be a quality piece of kit in 20 years time...

93-Strat likes this.
  18. RJ Squirrel

RJ Squirrel Senior Stratmaster

I was thinking 50 watt Marshall, 4x12 cab, and a looooong cord.:D

Triple Jim likes this.
  19. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

More is more.

Life is good,
    Robin

JB74 and henderman like this.
  20. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

this is one of my favorite clips of all time as i have a deep respect for what yjm has accomplished and i am a sucker for facts.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.