Is this real? 1959 strat

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Unstablemedic49, May 12, 2017.

1. Unstablemedic49

Unstablemedic49 New Member!

I was browsing eBay when I came across this '59 strat. It looks off and the price is pretty low, but he explains it as a refinish. Also, I went through is feedback and there was a 1954 Gibson Les paul he sold. That guitar looked extremely fake, but obviously someone bought it and was happy with the purchase.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322504269416

BluesDontCare likes this.
  2. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Wow . . . great price for a '50s mapleneck. If it's a real neck and body (minus original finish) I'd grab it in a NY minute (if I had the cash). :(

BluesDontCare likes this.
  3. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Strat-O-Master

The les paul looks good to me. It's in sad shape but it's definitely a real '53. The strat looks like it could be legit but more pics would help. Too many parts have been changed for my liking

4. TomH8

TomH8 Senior Stratmaster

Not sure. Wrong string tree though and body route and refinish

5. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Most Honored Senior Member

I don't know what to make of it really. I'm all 'faked' out.. :confused:

The only couple of things I'd maybe question are..

1.) I thought 59 necks weren't dated

2.) The bottom edges of the routes look a little clean to me. I don't think they had 'bottom-cut' router bits back in the 50's.

3.) The dust thing going on, on both the Strat and the Les Paul headstocks. Seems purposeful, to maybe add a little authenticity.

4.) The 60's scratchplate, again with dust under 'new strings' and plenty of finger dirt/wax on the plate.

5.) The string tree doesn't concern me, I've seen plenty of old guitars with washers of all descriptions used.

I'm probably just being a cynical old git who doesn't trust anybody anymore. Especially in the 'vintage' guitar market.. ;)

6. Opienor

Opienor Strat-Talker

I don´t know. May be real, but who tries to sell a 59 Strat but doesn´t even bother to use periods at the end of sentences?? A rushed ad is not a good sign in my book.

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.
  7. JulianH

JulianH Strat-Talk Member

Assume every vintage guitar you see for sale is fake. Whatever things you are looking for that you think a real one should have, you can bet some con artist knows about it and can incorporate it especially if they can get a nice profit off their work. Unless they can prove who owned it, dont throw your money away.

8. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

$6900 and not even an offer?

9. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

yep its fake

10. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

Those crummy pics and way too short description would raise a very large red flag for me.

11. slowerhand

slowerhand Strat-Talker

I've seen full 58-59 refins at dealers for 9k, with original hardware. Given the uninformative listing (what seller does that?) and missing hardware (especially bridge would bug me), also the bad relicing of the neck, I'd rather spend a couple thousand more. Or else spend the same money for a body refin, mostly there Strat of a few years later.

12. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Most Honored Senior Member

Looks fake to me
    Look at the wear on the fingerboard for example.... Doesn't look real at all

13. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster

From that listing: Vintage Original Spec series instruments receive a special nitro-cellulose finish treatment yielding the patina of a gently-aged vintage guitar while handcrafting enhances comfort and playability. Each VOS model has a solid mahogany back; historically accurate long-neck tenon for strength and sustain; and period-correct neck profile, hardware, and electronics.

Never said its a 1954 LP, but a model 1954 Gibson Les Paul VOS.

Further muddying the waters is that the exact year is listed as 1953. Then he says conversion to 59 burst.

Either way, I wouldn't be buying anything from this guy.

Will Lefeurve and simoncroft like this.
  14. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Senior Stratmaster

"none of the original hardware is there"

The second hole for a string tree really, really bothers me.

15. ripgtr

ripgtr Most Honored Senior Member

My 2/60 body date has no neck date. There is no real good info on when they disappeared and came back. I think I have seen as late as 4 or 5 /59 and again aroun 4 or 5 /59
    This is 4/59

My '60 has one. I know, I put it there. Many decades ago. String tree is no longer there but the hole still is.

Don't know if it is real or fake, I don't see enough to even begin saying but I did want to clarify on those two points. Neither means anything one way or the other.

16. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

If you have to ask, it's fake.

17. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7

I'm by no means an expert but something stinks. Maybe others have, but I've never seen a vintage one with a Birdseye maple neck.
    I'm guessing partscaster.

18. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Most Honored Senior Member

Is it me or are there a mix of jumbo frets and vintage ones on there. Look at the upper frets. And yeah, I would only buy a 59 from a reputable dealer.

19. Kenshin88

Kenshin88 Strat-Talker

Who would be dumb enough to sell a legit 59 Strat for that low amount of money?

20. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts Senior Stratmaster

Dont count them out 'just' because of curly, birdseye or flame. They are rare but they did happen. To my knowledge fender didnt 'select' figured wood for necks but they exist naturally and did occur on vintage pieces.

Even at Peavey we would occasionally see birdseye or flame necks for cheap preds or reactors (in part or whole) just randomly in the mix.

-For that matter I have found a number of EXCEPTIONAL examples of flamed and birdseye maple at HomeDepot in their hardwood section...and yes I bought it; needing it or not!

~JH

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.