Is this SRV Strat Brazilian Rosewood or Pau Ferro?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by TomH8, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Bopocaster

Bopocaster Strat-Talker

Looks like rosewood to me.

2. Sratastic

Sratastic Strat-Talk Member

Here is what I found after taking the neck off of the guitar. But first, just to remind you, the Serial Number on the back of the headstock reads SE 908671 which would indicate the guitar is a ' Signature 1989 ' model year. I came to this conclusion based on the following information from an SRV website that is shown below:

"Generally speaking sometime in the 1990s. The first number should be the approximate year. If for example the serial number was "SN7XXXXX" the number would be read like this: "S" - Signature series "N" - "Nineties" (likewise "E" is for "Eighties" and "Z" is for "Zeros" or 2000s) "7" - year 7, so it would have been made in 1997 "XXXXX" - actual sequential number of the decal (not necessarily the guitar) Fender typically uses the decals up; they don't throw away any remaining 1997 (in this example SN7XXXXX) decals on January 2, 1998. You really have to pull the neck and see the dates written or stamped on the neck heel and on the body in the neck pocket to find out when the guitar was really made. FYI - Fender had a bunch of SE8XXXXX and SE9XXXXX decals and they used them well into the 1990s on Clapton, Malmsteen, SRV and Beck Strats; I believe it was 1993 or 1994 before they caught up to the actual year. EDIT: Well based on Mike's guitar Fender was still using the SE9XXXXX decals at least as late as April 1993 when his guitar's neck was made; and the neck was made 6 months before the guitar was assembled (or at least the body was made - don't they date bodies just before assembly?). It just proves you really have to remove the neck and check the dates with Fenders."

The above holds true as the information on my guitars neck pocket and neck is as follows: Neck Pocket is stamped - MAR 1992 ( I could not make out the day due to it being drilled over). Also stamped in the neck pocket is - A. CHAVEZ along with SRV SNB. I was told that SNB stands for S=Signature - N=Ninety - B=Brazilian.

Neck is Stamped - APR 01 1992 - SRV - J. URIBE or ( J. ORIBE as the first letter of the last name appears to be somewhat smudged). The body cavity is painted black and on the back of the pick guard there is a square sticker which has M 3-18 handwritten on it. The fretboard on the guitar is without a doubt Brazilian Rosewood.

I will post pictures of my guitar in the next couple of days.

3. Sratastic

Deleted.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  4. Sratastic

Deleted.

5. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

The guitar posted by the OP is not Brazilian Rosewood... the guitar I posted is.

6. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Senior Stratmaster

Looks like rosewood to me

7. Electgumbo

@CK34
    No they exist ... I own one

8. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

My best friend from high school owns a Brazilian rosewood early srv and that guitar. The RW is like @Electgumbo described. The tone is something else. I find the ones with PF I’ve tried dull sounding against this early SRV.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Electgumbo likes this.
  9. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

I have only ever heard of PF on the SRV models. But there may be some history on them I never read. But as far back as the late 90's they were all PF.

Alien likes this.
  10. Gino753

Gino753 Strat-Talk Member

That looks exactly like my 1996 SRV strat...Pao Ferro

Alien likes this.
  11. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

The very first batch of SRV necks had Brazilian rosewood fingerboards - but there aren't many of them. I've heard anywhere from only 50 (which would have likely been a pilot run, not a full run) to as many as 500, so it's probably somewhere in the middle. But after the first batch they switched to PF on them.

12. Electgumbo

@ProSonicLive

I’m sorry but you are mistaken if you believe the guitar in my closet does not exist. The SRV models were advertised in Fender literature from the time to have Brazilian Rosewood finger boards. Most of them went to music company big shots and Fender Diamond rated dealers. The one I was lucky enough to buy wasn’t even on display. The shop owner had it hidden in his office. I thought they would all be like that but about that time the cutting down of the Brazilian Rainforest made the news. Cutting down our main source of Oxygen to raise cattle for hamburgers was frowned upon. This was the beginning of the CITES stuff we see today. So Fender switched to the Pao Ferro we see on almost all SRV’s

Why the 89’ serial number. Stevie had played the proto type and OK’d the guitar before his untimely death... his death shut the whole process down. Fender didn’t want to appear to be capitalizing on SRV’s death. But as Jimmy Vaughan went about managing his brother’s estate the Signature guitar came up. Jimmy Vaughan told Fender to release the guitar as he knew Stevie loved the idea of having his own signature model like Clapton and Jeff Beck.

You can learn more about them here...

http://www.stevieray.com/srv-strat.htm

The guy that created that page contacted me and offered me $3,500 for my guitar that doesn’t exist. I refused cause I like owning a Fender Stratocaster so friggin’ rare it’s believed not to exist!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Dare1 and Paperback Rocker like this.
  13. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

okay, then im wrong.

Electgumbo likes this.
  14. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-O-Master

I would love to see people identify the difference between Brazilian rosewood and pau ferro when playing Pride and Joy through a cranked amp in a blind test!

Electgumbo and RobZ69 like this.
  15. Alien

Alien Strat-Talk Member

PF colour varies from tree to tree and where in the tree it was cut from..... just like indian rosewood it can vary from very light brown to very dark brown and everything including reds and swirls in between!

You spoke to a guy who knows a guy who heard something. No names. Nothing in writing EVER from Fender..... Sold for zero markup by Fender for $1000 to dealers... no records on the use pf the most valuable, the most restricted well documented wood on earth. What are the chances Fender really used Brazilian Rosewood on early SRV Strats? Zero!

It looks like rosewood because it is Rosewood. Bolivian Rosewood!

16. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-O-Master

….and breathe. It’s a two and a half year old thread, chill!

Stratoskater, TN703800 and Electgumbo like this.
  17. Demon Dave

Demon Dave Strat-Talker

In my small world, I always thought that SNB was for SuNBurst...

Stratoskater likes this.
  18. Antonio77

Antonio77 Strat-Talker

Stratoskater likes this.