Is this Strat real?

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Scott1981, Jan 13, 2022 at 8:22 AM.

1. Scott1981

Scott1981 Strat-Talk Member

Hi All

I’m considering buying this Strat and I was wondering if you guys could tell me if it’s genuine? These are the only photos I have just now, I’ve asked him for close up one of the headstock as well. It’s a MIJ Strat

thanks in advance

Attached Files:

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

100% for sure fake, the body isn't even properly Strat shaped, the lower horn cutout is way too deep, pickguard is cut to match....not right....

The ONLY possibility is this neck MIGHT be from an early 90s MIJ 'Squier Series' Fender - but that logo is hard to see.....I'm doubting it though....

Screenshot_97.png

3. stormin1155

stormin1155 Strat-O-Master

I agree with Guitarmageddon.

Guithartic likes this.
  4. FuncleManson

FuncleManson Strat-Talker

Yep. It looks like they manually re-shaped the pickguard to fit the deeper cutaway.

Guithartic likes this.
  5. Ace38

Ace38 Senior Stratmaster

Guitarmaggeddon speaks and you'd be wise to listen. But yeah, that lower cutaway alone is proof that its not a Fender product.

Guithartic and Stubie78 like this.
  6. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

7. Scott1981

Thanks I really appreciate your info, the seller had said that the previous owner had stripped it back, but it just rang alarm bells with me. These are the headstock photos he sent me

Attached Files:

8. Davono

Davono Strat-Talker

Them are cheap chrome type saddles too. That is the bridge off a cheapo guitar.

9. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

I tried checking the serial number (T018293) online using this Fender serial number checker tool, and that site indeed lists it as a MIJ Strat, made in 1994 or 1995 or 2007-2010. But that could still mean only that the neck is real and the body is not genuine Fender.
    upload_2022-1-13_13-31-10.png

Guithartic likes this.
  10. Scott1981

Thanks for all your help guys I thought it looked like a mish mash of different guitar parts To be fair the guy who wants to sell it seems genuine it would appear he’s paid a lot of money for a guitar worth not so much

11. Scott1981

What I’m being told just now is that it is a Japan Squire Black Label from the 90s, I don’t know enough about those to verify if that’s true or why it sports a fender logo

12. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

Yeah, that's the way most scammers are. There's always a story, a way they can claim it's not them doing the scamming. If anything, they're victims. This kind of stuff is super common.

13. Guitarmageddon

It might have ONCE been one of those, but it's now defaced like crazy - I wouldn't pay more than like 100-150 quid for it....

it was a Fender SQUIER SERIES but they sanded off the SQUIER SERIES part, and totally stripped, reshaped the body, ruined the value
    12185263_500930546756009_4389702355127413690_o.jpg
    If it wasn't ruined, it would be worth 250-300 quid or more....

Guithartic and s5tuart like this.
  14. Scott1981

Much appreciated Yeah I won’t be going near it, he was wanting to swap for my rather more expensive BMG Red Special

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  15. Guitarmageddon

Your red special is worth DOUBLE what this one is even if it was 100% original and mint in my opinion

Not everything Fender Japan is worth a lot.....

Jimbo99 and Stratoskater like this.
  16. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-O-Master

I don't know so much about the rest of the body that others seem to be commenting about. But I thought the truss rod port, the material looks too sharply pointed to be what Fender or Squier shapes that into. And with he decal saying Squier Series, it would definitely be considered a Squier rather than a Fender. Would a Squier, even a MIJ, consistently ever fetch what even say a Fender Player MIM would for resale ?

17. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Of course. Try finding a JV for under $1000, and let me know if you do.

18. Willmunny

Willmunny Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Squire is a Fender. I recently paid slightly more for a mij Squire than I would for a player strat.
    I am happy with the deal

19. Guitarmageddon

A guitar by Fender or Squier is what it is based on the MAIN logo. A Fender Squier Series is not a Squier, it's a Fender....and heck yes, an MIJ Squier from 1983/84 or even a bit later can beworth $700-800-900 US

Jimbo99 likes this.
  20. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-O-Master

I just figured Squier MIJ really has a head start (relatively) on the modern day Fender MIM. would an older Squier MIJ have anything more than a perception of collectibility over an equally aged Fender MIM ? I get that the Japanese make better instruments than earliest of Korean, Indonesian or Chinese guitars, perhaps even Mexican guitars. But at some point there is that point where the other origins catch up with perception & equivalence of quality of what the industry shifts production regionally to find cheaper labor. When tone and whatever else is a preference. I'm not attempting to discount either for it's fair value. I mean in my own case, I have 2 Indonesian Cort Squier Strats, 2005 Bullet (IC05), 2016 Affinity (ICS16), both are pre-ban Rosewoods. To me those would be better woods than a modern Chinese for body (Basswood > Poplar) & neck (Rosewood > Indian Laurel). But to be fair to newer instrument builds, there are post 2017 Affinity that I could nor couldn't say are any worse (nor better) than the 2016.Affinity I have. With the price increases as they are, we may all look back at the pandemic as falsely creating the inflated values really ?