Is this Strat real?

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Scott1981, Jan 13, 2022 at 8:22 AM.

1. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

a 1980s MIJ Squier from Japan is leaps and bounds above any MIM quality, and even arguably above USA quality - it's not collectibility, it's how GOOD they are..

The modern post mid 90s Squier labelled guitars are NO comparison....can't judge based on modern production....

There are early run 1982 JV Fender and Squier labelled guitars that are worth over $2000 US dollars....for a reason....

ptb1, nadzab and Cerb like this.
  2. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-O-Master

Not exactly true, marketing departments spin their BS, as human beings we have the vocabulary & languages we do, consumers fall in love with a name. It comes down to presentation and how the corporation wants to structure their businesses & product lines. Take Gibson & Epiphone, it's never been Epiphone Series & it's never been Epiphone by Gibson decal on the headstock. Perhaps because Squier never made a guitar prior to Fender really, while Epiphone did prior to Gibson. We won't see a Gretsch by Fender or a Fender Gretsch Series, the business arrangement isn't set up that way for ownership. Yet Fender handles pretty much all of Gretsch guitar development & production.

3. Guitarmageddon

It's 100% true - and I can prove it. Fender Squier Series was always in the FENDER catalog in the early 1990s, never in a Squier catalog. Squier guitars were never in the Fender catalog. The end.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022 at 6:55 PM
    sisq61, ptb1, SonOfLerome and 2 others like this.
  4. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I do too.

Cerb, Willmunny and Guitarmageddon like this.
  5. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Never? Like... Never ever? :p

80s-epiphone-gibson-stratocaster_360_10d30e18b89219e48f54611afa1ae38f.jpg images (3).jpeg images (4).jpeg

Bowmap, Bob the builder, ptb1 and 4 others like this.
  6. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-O-Master

This link is kind of what I'm referring to, not every MIJ was the exceptional, as better than Fender USA builds or values. And when the hype of perhaps just a decent valued 1980's Squier is too easily hyped, attached & linked to the exceptional ones because it says Made in Japan. There tends to be the snake oil salesmen of old guitar flippers that overvalue a mediocre instrument for any decade era, but especially the 1980's because it says Made in Japan on a decal. Don't get me wrong, a mediocre guitar can even sound pretty darn good in the right hands. Not my intent to say this linked source is the only opinion or authority on 1980's MIJ Squiers. Even those blog articles are a decade old. But that's what the line of thought was a decade ago. We all know how hype & rumor, legend & lore or whatever grows and before you know it, there's a $ 2K guitar out there for something that doesn't stack up to more modern instruments. That is most likely getting top dollar because Fender has shifted it's production to the lowest labor costs and centralization for profits & not necessarily quality. The mystique is that you can no longer get a MIJ Squier new build 2022. That's not a reason to pay $ 1-2K for a 1980's MIJ Squier.

https://planetbotch.blogspot.com/2011/12/truth-about-1980s-squier-strats.html
    https://planetbotch.blogspot.com/2012/08/original-1992-squier-silver-series-stratocaster.html

Just got done watching a video on the new PRS SE Silver Sky (Dylan Talks Tone). The SE is a poplar body really. Sterling has been making that same body for years for $ 300 less in their Cutlass SSS/HSS.Fender may have to up it's game on the Player Series MIM, then again maybe not. As they've seen to go with Player Plus instead.

7. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-O-Master

OK, so you found the weirder in line 6 tuner headstock shape exceptions for "Epiphone by Gibson", where are the examples of an LP or SG 3x3 headstock with that labeling ? I figure those are probably Epiphone Strat & Explorer style guitars. How long before Gibson realized that was a mistake or that a restructure of Gibson & Epiphone to be separate and the headstock went back to one or the other without the "by Gibson" ?

8. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

Gibson had been building and selling guitars for years before Epiphone made their first.

9. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-O-Master

jtoomuch and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  10. Cerb

I've owned one, there wasn't much "finding" involved.

There were the MIJ Epiphones that had "Gibson" on the truss rod cover. What is perhaps more important than that is that they also had the Gibson headstock shape, binding and all.

25ede8cadf816897a230acbef85b219e.jpg

Jimbo99 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  11. Cerb

That is true. Epiphone didn't make their first guitar until the late 20's though.

I've kind of forgotten how this discussion started, and where we're going...

12. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

Cerb likes this.
  13. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

V. C. Squier made a lot of things between its 1890 founding and Fender's purchase in 1964, all at the "fiddle factory" in Battle Creek Michigan. Notably fiddles/violins (they were the "American Stradivarius")--but also banjos, acoustic guitars, pianos, and phonograph records. They stopped making stringed instruments in 1951, so they were pretty much just a string company by the time Fender bought them out. The company continued to exist as a Fender subsidiary until 1975. Fender began using the name on guitars in 1982.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier

Here's a 1925 Squier violin from the National Museum of American History.

[​IMG]

Very likely CBS/Fender's use of Squier on import guitars was a decision based on trademark. If CBS allowed the Squier trademarks to lapse, GHS (founded in Battle Creek by former Squier executives) would have happily resurrected the string brand.

CB91710 and Cerb like this.
  14. Guitarmageddon

You couldn't be more wrong.....every 1980s guitar made by Fender Japan including Squier branded....is better than Mexico or USA, period.....no point in discussing anymore.....the $2000+ JV Squier is far better than any USA AVRI vintage re-issue, it's because of quality, not collectibility, for the 2nd time.....

Cerb and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  15. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Is this fact or opinion? I personally don’t care for the over priced JV anything. I’ll take a vintage reissue any day. I’m my opinion at least the USA made reissues had better pickups and electronics.

jtoomuch likes this.
  16. Guitarmageddon

It's the opinion of more than just myself, a large large group of people even on this very forum.....early JV's had red bobbin Fullerton USA pickups, the same exact ones as AVRI models, and Alpha pots and Japanese 3 or 5 way switches that were spring loaded - all high quality, not inferior to CTS at all....

So 'better pickups' - not at all, same exact pickups.....

Cerb and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  17. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

The original (most expensive and sought after) 1982 Fender JVs had US pickups. The quality scared Fender themselves, hence the Squier brand and backing off the specs. In my opinion, US made Fenders have been a waste of money for over 40 years.

dirocyn, Cerb, Intune and 1 other person like this.
  18. Cerb

Interview with Fender Master builder Ron Thorn. FF to 9:45

Jimbo99 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  19. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Stratmaster

Here's an example of a Sheraton!
    20220114_155159.jpg

Cerb and Guitarmageddon like this.
  20. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

That’s actually pretty cool. Love these types of interviews. Still there’s no facts in there stating his 85 squier strat is superior to fender. He bought it in 87 and still has it, I’d love it too. It’s his opinion.

He also says he doesn’t own any Gibsons so does that mean they suck:(

Cerb likes this.