Is this Strat real?

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Scott1981, Jan 13, 2022 at 8:22 AM.

1. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Yes, absolutely his opinion. I think he said that he currently doesn't own any Gibsons. I found it kinda funny when he fiddled around with the LP and then said: yeah... Ummm... I always found the nick pickup a bit useless on these.

:D

nadzab and Intune like this.
  2. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

I’m also not saying anything bad about the JV series of fender/squier they have a following for a reason. There’s no doubt they are well made. It’s a matter of opinion if a person thinks one is better or not to a USA version. 1982 JV strat versus 1982 Fullerton strat. I know which one I’d be after.

Yeah I don’t think he really like that Gibson. He was nice about it though but he’s got what 40-50 guitars in his collection and no Gibsons. I can relate. I want to like them but they just don’t do it for me.

Cerb likes this.
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Lots of us had that very choice, in 1982, having seen the output from Fender in the late 1970s. I'd already made my choice of quality in 1980 and bought my Tokai, so I didn't partake of the Fender/Squier JVs, but my friends did.

Cerb, Jimbo99, Intune and 1 other person like this.
  4. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-O-Master

The author of that blog article made the same call you did.

"In 1984 when buying my first Strat I had a straight choice between Tokai and Squier. I bought a Tokai. So yes, today the early Squiers look like they were worldbeating value, but in their day they still lost a hell of a lot of battles to rivals."

5. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-O-Master

I always thought those were somewhat of a dude that got an Epiphone & put a Gibson Truss Rod cover on the headstock. Today, you won't find that. Anyway, I've come around myself, took a chance that the Monoprice Telecaster was good enough. As a consumer, I felt Squier was the safest bet for the build quality for that price point, even if I had to pay a little more for it. But the Monoprice's early into ownership are quite good. Good enough that I bought a 2nd one. I'll see how they wear eventually. I have a gut feeling they'll be every bit as good as any of the bigger name brands. I hand off my instrument to a less talented player, it sounds awful, play it myself it gets better & in the hands of the better players, I'll be darned if I can't tell it's a Monoprice at all. I have to up my game,the instrument isn't really what is holding me back. Last Saturday I took in a concert live performance, they used only the best name brand guitars. Parts of the show they got sloppy and I cringed at the noise that was being blared out at the outdoor venue, other parts their instruments were what I expected of $ 2k+ guitars.

Cerb likes this.
  6. Colnago1

Colnago1 Senior Stratmaster

Actually all that proves, and all any serial number website proves, is that the serial number is real.

7. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Guitarsite,nl and guitardaterproject don't even prove that.
    You can plug in any made-up serial number that actually fits a standard pattern and the site will kick out a "legitimate" result.

Try these one on a few sites and see what they tell you they are...
    They will return "2017-2018" and "2018-2019" Ensenada Mexico
    While that is true, neither of these necks have ever been attached to a body.

Now use the same numbers, but change one of the last 4 digits... it will probably not change the result, even though your new made up number MAY have happened to hit on a valid number, that doesn't mean it's legit.
    Neither of these two numbers will show up in the Fender database on the Fender site.

R-Neck-2.jpg

MX17.jpg

Bowmap and Colnago1 like this.
  8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

The Squiers weren't thought of when I bought my Tokai, if they had have been, I would have thought about it, then bought the Tokai. :) When the Tokai was stolen I bought a Japanese Fender.

9. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-O-Master

I chuckled when they handed Thorn the Gibson LP, like interviewing a Coca Cola executive and in the middle of it, handing him a Pepsi and asking him what he thought about it.

Cerb likes this.
  10. CB91710

I went to church with George Fullerton and Leo Fender. My parents went to many dinner parties at their homes.
    Hanging out with George's son, he had an old Fender Jag and a blonde Twin.
    I never saw a G&L guitar (or Music Man for that matter) in either home.

Bowmap, Jimbo99 and Cerb like this.
  11. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

I wonder if brand name recognition was a part of that, even for them. But Leo Fender himself didn't actually play guitar, so I wouldn't necessarily expect him to own one. I don't know about George Fullerton though.

12. CB91710

I don't know how talented he was... I never saw him actually play, but there are pictures of George on the production line in the original factory test-playing new guitars.
    His son Geoffrey could play pretty well, but it didn't seem to be a big part of his life. He was more interested in listening to music... He turned me on to Ted Nugent.

Bowmap, Jimbo99 and Cerb like this.
  13. Colnago1

Colnago1 Senior Stratmaster

I’ve argued the serial number fact with people before and got nowhere. They figure that if the serial number popped up on the serial website that it was a legit Gibson, Fender, whatever guitar. I just laughed when they continually got screwed buying fakes.

CB91710 likes this.