Issues putting a fender strat neck on a non Fender body

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by drp146, Jul 20, 2021.

1. drp146

drp146 Strat-Talker

My brother bought a partscaster recently that I played and thought wasn't too bad. It came with a Fender Lead I neck on what Guitarmageddon was kind enough to tell me was a Tokai body. He's decided he wants to put a Strat neck on it. I'm trying to convince him to sell the guitar and with that money and the $250 or more he'd have to pay for a Fender neck, plus some extra money maybe, he could buy a complete genuine Fender. My question is if there are any issues from putting a Mexican Standard Strat neck on the Tokai body? Besides sinking more money into a partscaster. Can you put those necks on a non Fender body and have them work out fine? Assuming it's set up correctly, that is. I'm really looking for another reason to convince him not to spend the extra money on this guitar, when he could have an all original Fender for around the same money.

2. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

A neck from Warmoth fit my Vintage US brand V6 "S type" with no mods.

drp146 likes this.
  3. drp146

drp146 Strat-Talker

I'm not familiar with that. Is it a non fender body? I realize my title was incorrect and should've read non Fender body.

4. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

There’s only one way to find out, which is to try it. I don’t think anyone can give you a definite yes or no answer unless they have the specific neck and body you’re trying to put together. It’s all about the neck pocket.

stratelespaul and drp146 like this.
  5. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Does the lead I neck fit the body now?

drp146 likes this.
  6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Whoa whoa...that Tokai body is worth $250 at least, all by itself....it should fit a Fender neck like a glove...but what's wrong with the Lead II neck? It's the same scale, it works.....it's just got that weird early 80s "Return to pre-CBS headstock" not-quite-right look.....but they all did then.....

I mean if he wants, a Fender neck should line up.....I mean these were mostly made to Fender specs to begin with (Tokai body), and a lot of them made in the same factories OR similar factories with the same copied-from-vintage kind of contours as Fender Japan.....

A Fender neck would be better (and more economical) than selling this off to buy a whole Fender Strat, unless you're thinking of re-sale value down the road....but if you're looking to build a great playing and looking Strat....yeah, keep the body!

Nate D, Bob the builder and drp146 like this.
  7. drp146

drp146 Strat-Talker

Yes, the Lead I neck fits well.

8. drp146

drp146 Strat-Talker

He wants it to say Stratocaster on the neck, mainly that is. The Lead I neck has some minor cosmetic issues and some fret wear. He's been looking at a Mexican Standard Neck that's $250. The body is in very nice shape.

Roger66 likes this.
  9. Guitarmageddon

I'd highly suggest going a step up for $50 more.....with classic 1950s Strat looks to match the '57 reissue' Tokai body.....cuz that's what it is, 2 tone sunburst....

These necks below are $300 US, and well worth it. They would fit vintage split shaft Kluson style tuners....

If you want vintage 7.25" fretboard radius and smaller vintage frets

https://www.fender.com/en-US/parts/...neck-21-vintage-frets---maple/0991002921.html

If you want modern 9.5" fretboard radius and larger medium jumbo frets

https://www.fender.com/en-US/parts/...t-v-shape---maple-fingerboard/0991102921.html

They both have the same looks....just small differences.....

Black59 and drp146 like this.
  10. drp146

drp146 Strat-Talker

Thank you for your help. I don't have the guitar here, but do you know what the radius is on a Lead I? He does like that radius, whatever it is.

11. West44th

West44th Strat-Talker

I transplanted a highway one neck onto my old 80s Tokai ST40 body with no particular difficulty. It`s not an exact fit as there is a slightly different curvature to the heel, but the screw holes lined up well and it intonates perfectly. There is a slightly flatter curve to the heel of the Tokai body.
    I am planning on adding a shim as I would like to raise the saddles a little higher but I`m happy so far.
    If you look at my avatar the neck on the sunburst Hwy One is now on the black Tokai.

drp146 likes this.
  12. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Blasphemy

13. drp146

drp146 Strat-Talker

Thanks West44th

14. arct

arct Strat-O-Master

I've never understood the Herculean effort people put into getting "Stratocaster" on the neck when they could just buy a Strat in the first place.

rct

nadzab likes this.
  15. West44th

West44th Strat-Talker

Blasphemy towards Fender or Tokai? :)

drp146 likes this.
  16. West44th

West44th Strat-Talker

In my case it was to resurrect poor old Betsy. Lovingly worn out neck which was never quite the same after a very Ex girlfriend threw her out the bedroom window :(

Slacker G likes this.
  17. drp146

drp146 Strat-Talker

He paid $300 for the guitar, which in retrospect is an even better deal than he thought. It also came with Van Zandt pickups. So he could've bought a Strat, but this was from a friend and offered to him. I know I would keep it as it is. Or sell it and buy a genuine Strat.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  18. Guitarmageddon

7.25" on the Lead I, II, and III - the originals....not sure about the modern re-issues.....

drp146 likes this.
  19. drp146

drp146 Strat-Talker

Thanks again Guitarmageddon. It's an original Lead I. Originally came from a pawn shop. I think the guy he got it from never took it apart, and didn't know any of what you have told me. I really appreciate getting information from an expert.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  20. drp146

drp146 Strat-Talker

Here's a pic of the guitar.

Partscaster b.png