It Finally Happened

MGW-AB

Strat-O-Master
Jun 6, 2020
Wild Rose Country
I've been downsizing my collection for about 10 years. I used to think I needed every kind of guitar in order to be versatile but over the years I've learned something about myself. I don't need to be versatile. I do have my own style and I do have preferences and there are things that just don't work for me so I sell them. I was down to 5 electrics, 2 basses and 2 acoustics a few years ago and then I sold a bass and another electric (Les Paul) and I am thinking of selling another electric yet; my Rickenbacker. I also sold a bunch of amplifiers as well; the Rivera, the Dual Rec half stack, the .50 Calibre and several lower end amps (by my standards) by Fender, Egnator and also an Ampeg. I'm down to 4 amps; 2 for electric, 1 for acoustic and 1 bass amp. I might also sell my P/A system. I no longer feel a sense of pride in owning more gear than I need. It feels more and more like an encumbrance. I have become my parents (RIP). They told me some years ago that they spent their lives accumulating "things" and then when they turned 50 or so they started feeling weighed down by it.

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Yup same here with downsizing. I’m at a point now where I know what I want tone wise so having 7 of a similar amp or guitar doesn’t make any sense. 1 guitar amp and 7 guitars, 1 bass and 1 bass amp is all I need. I mean if a jazzmaster pops up I NEED one but other than that I’m out of the gear hunt.

92 Fiesta Red 62

Strat-Talker
Apr 27, 2022
TEXAS
Don’t do it! Being an adult is a trap!!

GAS comes and goes…it’s been building up a bit lately…trying to fight it off, but it’s a struggle!

Wrighty

Dr. Stratster
Mar 7, 2013
Harlow, Essex, UK
So there's hope? Maybe I'm just going through some sort of phase?

I'm starting to think it's a side effect from the Metamucil.
I suggested to Mrs Wrighty that I may, just may, be going through my second childhood. Her response, without looking up from her book was, ‘no darling, you just haven’t grown out of the first’. I don’t care!

AntStrat

Dr. Stratster
May 6, 2019
US
I suggested to Mrs Wrighty that I may, just may, be going through my second childhood. Her response, without looking up from her book was, ‘no darling, yiu just haven’t grown out of the first’. I don’t care!
Sitting around talking about interest rates, cholesterol meds, how to keep your lawn green....

throwing up.gif

Wrighty

Dr. Stratster
Mar 7, 2013
Harlow, Essex, UK
I've been downsizing my collection for about 10 years. I used to think I needed every kind of guitar in order to be versatile but over the years I've learned something about myself. I don't need to be versatile. I do have my own style and I do have preferences and there are things that just don't work for me so I sell them. I was down to 5 electrics, 2 basses and 2 acoustics a few years ago and then I sold a bass and another electric (Les Paul) and I am thinking of selling another electric yet; my Rickenbacker. I also sold a bunch of amplifiers as well; the Rivera, the Dual Rec half stack, the .50 Calibre and several lower end amps (by my standards) by Fender, Egnator and also an Ampeg. I'm down to 4 amps; 2 for electric, 1 for acoustic and 1 bass amp. I might also sell my P/A system. I no longer feel a sense of pride in owning more gear than I need. It feels more and more like an encumbrance. I have become my parents (RIP). They told me some years ago that they spent their lives accumulating "things" and then when they turned 50 or so they started feeling weighed down by it.
Trying to keep it down to guitars that mean something to me and have memories attached and sentimental value. Not necessarily brilliant instruments but wouldn’t be able to part with them. Not entirely successful, gave in and bought an AmPro Tele just ‘because’. Have sold about six over the last couple or three years and bought only two so I figure I’m winning. Had a Passport PA and a big Yamaha PA rig. Got fed up lugging the latter about for a singer who’d invested in a mic and stand to use and who had no idea how to set it up. PX’d for not much against the AmPro and gained a lot of cupboard space and an arsey singer! She’ll have to sort herself out, rehearsal room has one, any gigs, her problem! Gave the Passport to the local Community Centre. Yes, kinda liberating, knowing I’ve thought about what I’ve got and ‘justified’ it all. Thanks for reading, sorry for waffling on.

PlayerOne

Strat-Talker
Jan 29, 2022
Charlotte, nc
I'm feeling really stable at 30+ guitars collected over the last 60 years. There just isn't a looser in the bunch. There were several that I thought I had to have, a Ric 360/12, a Godin Multiac, a Martin 000-15, ect, that I never bonded with, but that happens.

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
False alarm!

All is well.

Damn, staring adulthood in the face...there but there by the grace of @Ebidis go I.

Out of the blue as if a divine intervention saw my plight plucked me from the depths of an abyss of being a grown up.

View attachment 574710
Hmm... I think you need to do this for 20 minutes, twice a day for at least a month, then see how grown up you feel. :D

happy dance.gif