Join Strat-Talk Today

It just doesn't matter anymore.

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Ebidis, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Sorry, I can’t see any guitar as art, it’s bits of wood and metal of low or high quality depending on price joined together with more or less care depending on price in a standard format of body, neck and the other bits attached as appropriate. Art it ain’t.

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. Wrighty

True, I think we all aspire to the best quality we can afford, whether or not we finally find justification for buying it. That’s where we all find that justification at our own level. I’ve settled at American Pro level, would love a Custom Shop if I were given one but wouldn’t shell out for one. On the other hand, I still have a couple of Affinities for house use and, though I could gig them, I feel ‘better’ or is it ‘more like a proper guitarist’ with the Pro hanging on my strap. Vanity, I know. Stupid thing is though that anyone in the audience will never notice! Only time it’s ever been commented on was when a lady whispered to our vocalist during a break ‘tell your guitar man that I simply adore..........................the colour of his guitar’.

3bolt79 and abnormaltoy like this.
  3. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

Just setting here playing my $50 Epi lpjr and loving it ;)

The JB in it cost me $5 more than the guitar ,but like Buddy Guy says to the police in Bad Day.

Whooooo gives a damn !

4. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather Strat-Talk Supporter

I got you, I am a long way from my Custom Shop Les Paul...well, all I really need is all the money to the left of the decimal.

3bolt79 and Nadnitram like this.
  5. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

i am always glad when someone tells me how I should spend my money. And they are not even my wife.....

6. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Hmmm... Yeah, I’m pretty much in the “it just doesn’t matter anymore” Club too.

I’m partial to early 80’s MIJ Ibanez guitars but that mostly because an Ibanez was the first good guitar I bought and it’s like a bond I’ve had for the better part of my life.

The guitar I’m playing on a daily basis is a 90’s MIM Strat that I’ve setup and have upgraded and dialled in just right. If I wanted to sell it, I could probably get my $250 back but this guitar plays like butter and I really don’t see how a more expensive guitar will make me a better player.

I’ve got an Eric Johnson strat too. It’s a work of art and probably the nicest Strat I’ve ever played but my little 90’s MIM Strat with a set of Bootstrap Vintage 54 Pro pickups is easily its match in playability and sound.

7. brucer

brucer New Member!

So this is the 10,000 hours thing I keep hearing about? Hot damn.

I'm 54 and a hack. Do I even have 10,000 hrs left?

8. Wrighty

Glad you got me Sir, part way through that I didn’t quite get it myself!

3bolt79 and abnormaltoy like this.
  9. Wrighty

Your wife tells you first? Mine just spends it for me, bless her!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    nigelr, 3bolt79 and abnormaltoy like this.
  10. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

I'm not sure, but I think you just called me a tool. :rolleyes:

For me, it's a matter of weight distribution. The Strat feels balanced to me. I never felt that with a Les Paul. My PRS had a fabulous neck, but even that felt too body-heavy for my liking.

Nick Evans, 3bolt79 and abnormaltoy like this.
  11. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

I think you'll find one or two models that feels right. FWIW, Les Pauls are weird little guitars IMO. Don't get me wrong, I like how some of them look and I love how other people make them sound but I've never tried an LP that I liked, they just feel wrong. I've never liked PRS's either, they are a total turn-off for me. Ibanez have so many models and I love Ibby's but mostly the super strats.

To me, the two guitar models that I really like are Strats and SG's.

12. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather Strat-Talk Supporter

Mmmm, it's a possibility.

AncientAx, 3bolt79 and Nadnitram like this.
  13. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of Dilligaf Strat-Talk Supporter

Sure you do. Make use of your time, be the best you that you can be.

14. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Strat-Talk Supporter

I agree with most of what's been said already and I absolutely agree that it doesn't matter but having said that what business is it of mine if my neighbour has a Gibson CS R9 or CS Strat? Does that make someone a cork sniffer or an elitist?

Not in my book unless they start talking **** about something they clearly have no clue about.

Buy and play or don't buy whatever you want and be happy, we only get to do this once.

15. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

I said something similar in post #20, so I guess I agree with you. :thumb:

3bolt79 and Bladesg like this.
  16. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

I think it’s part that you are used to your Strat, and the fact that it’s been properly set up. I have around 20 guitars, I’d have to count them to be sure, and they are all slightly different, and I use them for different things. It doesn’t take any time anymore to feel like home on one or the other. My LP is an Epi.

17. 3bolt79

Your boyfriend is a lucky man in having a woman that understands buying new equipment, and building guitars. My wife encourages me to buy new guitars, but she doesn’t really understand that different guitars can do different things, or the joy or playing a guitar. She does like to listen though. When I met her we did have shooting sports in common and we both used to compete. She in small bore rifle, and me with handguns, so there’s that.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  18. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

My favorite guitar I tried at GC a few months back was a Squier Bullet Mustang. Hands down, that was the one I enjoyed playing the most out of 20 or so guitars I played that day. What was that thing, like $150 or something ridiculous?

Andrew Wasson and 3bolt79 like this.
  19. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

My dad and I were just recording me playing 3 chord country songs on a $200 acoustic.

3bolt79 likes this.
  20. 3bolt79

man I hear you. I spent five years studying Classical Guitar. I hit the wall at grade 6. It takes a lot more work than I was willing to put in, and I’m your age and wondered if the 10,000 hours was even feasible. I still play classical guitar, but now I enjoy playing electric, steel string acoustic, and bass guitar as well.

Bowmap, Chicago Matt and duzie like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.