Join Strat-Talk Today

It just doesn't matter anymore.

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Ebidis, Mar 21, 2020.

1. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Sticker bushes and Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

That is in the eye of the beholder, there is a lot of art that ain't art.;)

2. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I mentioned a Squier Mustang in a discussion a couple of days ago. I’ve got a 13 year old nephew who we were visiting in UK who has one and he needed it strung up. I strung it up and after that I couldn’t put it back down. Fortunately he was at school so I wasn’t hogging his guitar. I probably played it for two hours and it was mind boggling good.

duzie, Stonetone and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-O-Master

OP's is a good question. I've got cheap guitars that are just as good professionally as anything. They don't generate the same level of conversation and shop-talk as a 1965 ES-330, or a LP with BBs, or a 1960's LG2. There's some value in valuing the tools of the trade, because they do inspire. A fork doesn't inspire a tastier steak, but a burst definitely inspires a tastier solo.

4. Dewey

Dewey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You're lucky your heart and mind are still in it. Me not so much. I feel older than I am. I'm 55 so I think I still have a ways to go.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  5. Dewey

Dewey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I tend to lean towards the CS side. Recently I played my Don Grosh Strat after a while that didn't cost much. Not a CS but as nice if not nicer. I love playing it.

3bolt79 and Ebidis like this.
  6. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

I played a gig middle of Feb with my Yamaha revstar as my main guitar and a custom shop les paul standard as a backup.

Between the two sets a guitar player friend was talking to me and couldn't believe what I was doing. Playing a Yamaha with a Gibson on a stand was unthinkable to him.

Like someone else said, play the guitar not the headstock.

fos1, 3bolt79, Ebidis and 1 other person like this.
  7. crazyrachey96

crazyrachey96 Strat-O-Master

Having a passion in common is pretty rare from what I've seen, and that's a shame because it really does make everything better. My boyfriend's brother and his wife are both really into roleplaying games... they met by ending up in the same D&D gaming group in college, and despite many years and a lot of misfortune they're one of the happiest couples I know. No matter what else is going on in their lives, they have something they really care about that takes their minds off things and they do it TOGETHER. In our case, it was purest serendipity. When he introduced himself, he had no idea I played guitar (I knew a lot more about him than he did about me; I was city clerk at the time and a single dad moving into a small town is hot gossip). When I came over to his house and not only played one of his guitars but played it well, his jaw hit the floor. I mean... what are the odds?

Shooting... that's something I do that he doesn't! I grew up hunting with my dad. His family also hunted, but he's not into it. His daughter wants to try it tho, so he's sending her to hunter's safety camp this summer and I'm going to take her hunting with my family this fall.

Yup... we met at Delcamp. The first time I was at my BF's house he played some classical for me, and I ended up getting into it. I already had a pretty solid fingerpicking technique so it wasn't a hard transition... I did have to learn to read music... but I spent a couple of years mostly playing classical. That kind of fell off when I went to medic school, and I never picked it back up. I'm not really clear on the grade system, but if you hit grade six you probably got further than I did. Maybe I'll pick it back up someday, but right now I just wanna rock.

8. 57Strat777

57Strat777 Strat-O-Master

Here's the list of guitars I own. My absolute hands down favorite is the 1991 Strat PLus Deluxe w/ 1991 Eric Clapton neck and Fralin PUs. This guitar is worth the least amount of any of my guitars, but it is the most responsive and best sounding of them all.

-2003 Custom Shop Gibson R8 Les Paul
    -2014 63 RI Wildwood Spec ES-335
    -1991 Gibson J-200
    -1999 PRS CE22
    -1991 PRS CE24
    -2014 LSL Topanga (59 Les Paul Special DC clone)
    -1999 Fender Strat Deluxe HSS
    -1991 Strat PLus Deluxe (w/ 1991 Eric Clapton neck and Fralin PUs)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    3bolt79 and Nick Evans like this.
  9. Strums

Strums Strat-O-Master

My drop dead favorite acoustic is my 2009 Ibanez that retailed for $600. Yes, I've played the big names, but that Ibanez just makes me a better player. Chords just flow and I hit fewer bum notes. It was set up by a pro who did a great job.

fos1 and 3bolt79 like this.
  10. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Strat-O-Master

Its like food....no matter if you are eating a super expensive meal in a fancy restaurant or a very basic home cooked meal...in the end you ll get all the necessary nutrients needed in both cases...even if in one case the optics and the general atmosphere is superior...the main function is met by both of them just as well....

11. Thunderhopkins8

Thunderhopkins8 Senior Stratmaster

If a Squier is good enough for Jack Pearson, then it should be good enough for everyone

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  12. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Why? I'm not Jack Pearson. What if I don't like the Squiers that he plays. It's fine for him, but what if I prefer something else?

This was exactly the point I was trying to make in the OP. It doesn't matter what I play, or what anybody else plays. It doesn't matter who made the guitar, or where it was made. That includes anything (from Squier to PRS to custom handmade or whatever). What matters is that I like what I play, and the most important thing is having the skills to play.

Bladesg, fos1, 3bolt79 and 3 others like this.
  13. Thunderhopkins8

I was specifying that you can get a Squier and still sound great. That’s what I meant. Doesn’t matter the brand. If you prefer something else then that’s fine. I was just saying. I’m not disagreeing with you on this matter, because I agree.

3bolt79 likes this.
  14. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Ok.

Your statement just sounded like an absolute (and a bit elitist). I'm sorry if I misunderstood. Not trying to ruffle any feathers.

3bolt79 likes this.
  15. Thunderhopkins8

Hmm..didn’t mean it to come off that way. I’ve heard people say similar statements and never thought of it being an elitist.

16. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I am 55 and conflicted... I go back and forth between:

OMG I am so excited going to do some stuff I didn't get to do earlier and I am playing, singing, writing better than ever!!

and

F this. Not worth the effort and I am just an old bald man.

But, for some reason, sometimes playing a cheap guitar makes me feel right. Maybe the fact that the cheapie is not perfect and is all beaten up BUT STILL ROCKS makes me feel hopeful for myself. :D

Bladesg, fos1, Andrew Wasson and 3 others like this.
  17. crazyrachey96

You want to take care with that sort of thing. One of the guys who does sound for us also works with a lot of touring bands, and he's seen a lot of cases where an artist is playing something with a budget brand logo... but if you look at the back of the headstock, it was actually made in a custom shop. I mean... you don't believe that Paul Stanley was playing the same cheap Silvertones that were available in music stores with his name on them, do you? I'm not saying that Pearson is doing this... it could very well be on the level. But every time I hear about a high level pro who can have literally anything playing off-the-shelf budget guitars I get a little suspicious, and I have it from reliable sources that the suspicion is justified.

3bolt79 likes this.
  18. Thunderhopkins8

Point is, you don’t have to have an expensive guitar to sound great. I know a guy that is also very reliable, that feels the same way as I do. So there.

3bolt79 likes this.
  19. crazyrachey96

No, you don't. But higher-end guitars usually do play better, for longer, with less problems, and have better pickups which do indeed help with your tone. Most pros are not using $500 off-the-shelf guitars, and there is a reason. It's one thing to say that you can get good results with budget gear... you certainly can... but to imply that it's just as good as the higher-end stuff is disingenuous.

Wrighty, Bladesg, fos1 and 2 others like this.
  20. Thunderhopkins8

Not really, I have a MIA Fender that I don’t even touch. It’s a personal preference. You can get a cheap guitar and make it sound and play great, and still have enough money to buy another guitar that doesn’t cost as much as the higher end ones. And a lot of them are just as good. Just cause it has a high price tag or a brand name, doesn’t automatically make them better. If you were blind, you wouldn’t be able to see the price, or the brand. You could only go by what you felt. It’s a personal preference. What if someone likes how the cheaper one felt and played, as opposed to the higher end ones? Would that be a crime? Would you sue them for having their own opinion, and for not agreeing with you?

I choose to not discount cheaper gear, when they can, and have been able to do what I want them to do, at a much cheaper cost.

3bolt79 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.