It took me all day but....I found my problem

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by DUSTER44T, Jun 6, 2021.

1. DUSTER44T

DUSTER44T Strat-Talker

This kind of stupidity from me has happened more that I like to admit so you would think I'd have learned by now but....NOOO.
    I was wiring in a set of new pups today (Vintage 65's) and chased an issue for most of my day. I checked and tested...checked and tested, and rewired, etc., etc. Turns out that the one end of the capacitor that is to go to one of the pot tabs was also slightly touching that same pot so it was grounding itself out. I have to tell ya, I was very close to tossing that one out the window. I may have to start drinkin again after this

2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

Success is all in the details!

3bolt79 likes this.
  3. Sixstringer107

Sixstringer107 Strat-O-Master

I was putting a PL259 antenna connector on for a guy the other day, it was cheap imported crap, but that's beside the point. I had like one strand of wire from the pin touching the ground part causing a dead short and driving me crazy. That's why I like coax with a solid conductor.

CB91710 and Groovey like this.
  4. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

Congratulations. Nice job. You did better than I. All day wiring , rewiring, checking continuity, pulling up different schematics. I still don't t have the Epi Riviera rewired. Trying again tomorrow. Presently it is perched on top of the amp. Maybe it will fall off tonight and shatter. If I'm lucky.

jtoomuch and Wayne Adams like this.
  5. DUSTER44T

DUSTER44T Strat-Talker

I was really going nuts on this one. I even went as far as opening up one of my other guitars that's wired the same way (2 volume, 1 tone) and compared wire by wire. It looks like the 5-way and three pots I ripped out and tossed in the trash were good after all. Anyway, the end result is awesome, those 65's sound nice....especially the middle.

6. TepidPilot

TepidPilot Strat-O-Master

Why wait?

TP

7. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Happens to all of us.

8. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

Persistence! A good trait.

9. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Learn by doing...it's the only way I can. How'd that tubing work out for snaking the pots?

10. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Gold Supporting Member

I once inadvertently wired the output jack backwards, so there was still an output but sounded like crap. I about went crazy going back and forth from trying to troubleshoot, to cursing the life of the bastard who sold me the "bad" pickups.

One can benefit from looking back and pondering over such episodes... :D

11. ctrowat

ctrowat Strat-Talk Member

I rewired a Squier strat a month or two back and installed a new Oak Grigsby 5-way switch in it. The new switch was just a mm or two taller than the old one and when installed it would ground out against the shielding paint I added to the cavity. The whole thing worked perfectly until you tightened the screws the last bit, but didn't touch hard enough to leave a mark on the paint or any other indication of what was happening. That was plenty of fun to track down!