It's all so very strange.

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Dadocaster, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I begged for a guitar as a little kid, got one when I was maybe 7 years old, started teaching myself to play it, went on to school band, church choir, was on french horn then trumpet for HS. At the end of HS I was band president, 1st chair trumpet in a good band that got our 1 ratings for the first time in years. Worked in music stores, played in garage bands that rehearsed a lot and never played. Hearing problems, mostly deaf, couple bad marriages but an awesome son. So, technology gave me better perception of sound, I started up again, by that time the boy was growing up. He played guitar a bit, didn't care for it signed himself up for band as a drummer, then taught himself bass, he and I started jamming together in the house when he was in middle school.

Was briefly in a cover band before I realized I did not like being in a cover band, found myself a home here, kid was still progressing, we were still jamming. ST got me interested in my own growth again, worked at playing figured if yall can write songs, maybe I can write songs. Got help and support, kid got older, in HS band and jazz band playing his butt off on drums.

Today on FB an old friend and some other old friends were posting pics from our HS marching band days and we were talking a bit. Pretty much none of them play any more, but here I am still playing, still playing with the kid, still writing music.

It's so very strange that, for me, the music never goes away. Even with the odd stuff and ****ty circumstances, it does not go away and now that I am back in it, I just want to continue and do more.

So there's that.

2. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Strat-O-Master

Amen to that! I never understood musicians that stop for any reason short of injury or death.

Jesse414 and soulman969 like this.
  3. Dadocaster

Far as I can tell, I CAN'T stop.

Jesse414, Stratbats and StummerJoe like this.
  4. StummerJoe

Me either. There is no cure.

Jesse414 and Dadocaster like this.
  5. soulman969

soulman969 Strat-O-Master

I'm one of those who believe you're either born musical or you're not and it shows up early in life as it did with me and two of my daughters.

They all took piano lessons but with two I could hear the feel and the instinctive way they played while another was always very technical and the fourth lost interest quickly.

I believe that if you're born musical it will always be a part of your genetic make up and in some way or another you will always stay musical your entire life.

Jesse414, dbolt and Dadocaster like this.
  6. Dadocaster

Earlier, one of my old HS peeps mentioned a guy that I used to hang out with a lot that was 3 grades ahead of us. He played sax and wanted to become a musician and educator and he was in love with jazz. My first jamming experiences were me playing chord changes and Tony trying to blow jazz. I guess that's where it started.

Jesse414 likes this.
  7. Dadocaster

I am not actually totally clear on that but I will say that all the people I know that really learned to play have some OCD component. My son gets very interested in complex music, and I also did so there very well be some hardwiring in the brain that would account for that.

Jesse414 and soulman969 like this.
  8. StummerJoe

I'm still in contact with my first guitar teacher, we are really good friends for three decades now, and two of my high school chums that still play. 'till death.:thumb:

Jesse414, Dadocaster and soulman969 like this.
  9. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

People that have no interests... Don't interest me...

CigBurn, Jesse414, dbolt and 3 others like this.
  10. Dadocaster

My son and I talk about that frequently. We agree with you. They do not have to be interested in my interests, but they have to have something.

When I was young, I worked in a picture framing business that also had a gallery. I could easily and happily talk to the artists. They were pretty similar to the musicians I had worked with in the guitar shops.

Stratbats, Jesse414 and StummerJoe like this.
  11. soulman969

soulman969 Strat-O-Master

Some people just seem to have a musical nature about them. For whatever reason they "get it". They may not even play a musical instrument but you can see it in their natural rhythm when they dance.

Or even if they can't sing well they can still hear and interpret a melody well enough to recognize it and hum it. And in some cases I think the raw musical ability is there but not the interest or the discipline to learn to play an instrument.

I think you do need to be at least a little OCD to do it.

Jesse414 likes this.
  12. StummerJoe

People who can't hear the music think those that dance are crazy...

Bladesg likes this.
  13. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Im not an accomplished player by any means but there is something inside that makes me want to.at least try to play something coherent

Keith268, Jesse414 and Bowmap like this.
  14. stratcpo

stratcpo Senior Stratmaster

My thoughts, No Music, No Life. ENJOY!!!

Keith268, Bladesg and Jesse414 like this.
  15. Strums

Strums Strat-O-Master

It's part of you and always will be. It's just your thing.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Jesse414 likes this.
  16. Cesspit

Cesspit Strat-O-Master

I have no choice in this music thing. I really am driven. I am the only one in my entire family with this gift (curse) and all I've done musically, for good or bad has been solely my efforts, no tutors or lessons.

Considering how crap I am at everything else in life I am amazed I can do what I do. It is what I am.

Thrup'ny Bit and Jesse414 like this.
  17. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I can relate

18. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

Cool story Dadocaster its fun to here how people got into music and playing. :)