Join Strat-Talk Today

It's always something simple (hopefully)....car repair

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Lonn, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    My wife's Infiniti needs new bearings on the front so I tacked the job last night. Simple job, remove 2 caliper bolts and 4 bolts for the bearing itself. Easy stuff right? Nooooo. First 5 bolts come right out but the last bearing bolt, just can't get any purchase on the bolt head with either a socket (straight or knuckle) or wrench. There's a bracket right next to it that's in the way and I can't get to the bolts holding it on either to remove it. An hour and a half I'm working on this finally give up and put it back together. Made an appt with a euro car mechanic friend of mine for Monday morning. I'm at work this morning looking at pics and it dawns on me that all I needed to do was turn the wheel and I can probably got a better shot at the bolt head. DOH! Guess what I'll be doing after work tonight? I hope it's that simple..... Unfortunately I'm not always a "think outside the box" kind of guy. If I'd had my wife look at it I guarantee she'd have told me to turn the wheel lol.

2. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Sometimes it's like looking all over for your keys when they are in your hand. IF it is indeed that simple. Hope it is.

I'm amazed by the YouTubes for car repairs. Not only did someone do the job, they took the time to film it, narrate it and post it. I'm a really good mechanic, but with the first time I do something on a vehicle I'm not familiar with, I search for a video of someone who has done it before me.

s5tuart, BallisticSquid and wrvond like this.
  3. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

You had the wisdom to step away which counts for a lot. In my younger years I would be set about trying to pound it into submission. Now i think to myself "it shouldn't be this hard, I must be missing something".

Interestingly enough as I read your post I thought "I wonder if he just needs to turn the wheels." Distance from the problem gives you a different perspective.

Hope you are successful on your second go with it tonight!!

henderman, Miotch and wrvond like this.
  4. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

I often have my bride looking over my shoulder and many is the time she has pointed out something that should have been painfully obvious to me but wasn't. I'm always grateful for time, energy and frustration saved or averted. :thumb:

5. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I used to like working my cars, or at least not mind the basic stuff. Any more I call my mechanic. It isn't worth the aggravation.

6. Lonn

Admin Post
    I too look for videos but there wasn't one for this particular car. Plenty for the G and M37 and 35 models but nothing Q50 specific. I'm just happy I was looking for pics this morning. I ran across one that had "turn the wheel" in the caption. The light bulb over my head was blinding.

Stratoman10 and BallisticSquid like this.
  7. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Or glasses, when they are on your face.

s5tuart and Miotch like this.
  8. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

My Mrs. Call that...
    "Looking like a man"
    Far too often
    download (1).jpeg

3bolt79 likes this.
  9. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Or cellphone, while you’re talking on it (yep, been there).

Miotch likes this.
  10. jayoldschool

jayoldschool Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Lonn, once those bolts are out, it can be very difficult to remove the bearing from the spindle. They bond together. I've used everything from an air chisel to a hub buster to pop them out. Sometimes, I have taken off the complete spindle and used the hydraulic press to separate the bearing. Don't expect to just grab it and pull it out once the bolts are out. Your tech should have told you this.

johnnymg, Miotch and ryunker like this.
  11. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

This +1 the reality of car repairs

12. Lonn

Admin Post
    Not my first time picking up a tool, thanks. The rotor also took a bit of convincing to come loose.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  13. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

I just did the same to my 14 Mustang, the hub and bearing come as one unit which is nice.
    I had to angle the wheel to get to the bolts as well. I have 2 floor jacks so I jacked up both
    sides of the front so I cound turn back strait for reassembly. My rotor was stuck too so I sprayed
    PB Blaster in the lug stud holes waited an hour and it finally came off.
    Saved myself a couple hundred $$ doing the labor myself

14. Lonn

Admin Post
    The rotor didn't take too much convincing, just a few whacks with a smallish hammer. Hopefully the bearing assembly won't be too stuck in there.

15. Lonn

Admin Post
    Finally got to it after work today, turning the wheel did the trick of course for the difficult bolt and getting the bearing out took about 20 minutes of whacking. All buttoned up and back together, quiet as a church mouse.

Will Lefeurve and 3bolt79 like this.
  16. Lonn

Admin Post
    Got the driver side finished yesterday, had to make one more trip to Lowes for a bigger hammer. Needed a 3 lb mini sledge to get one of the 22mm caliper bolts out, clean sailing after that. My right hand is trashed though between smashing it last week in the garage door and then banging it repeatedly against suspension parts lol. I don't care though, I DIDN"T have to pay a mechanic to fix my car and I'm over the moon about that.

johnnymg likes this.
  17. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525 Strat-Talk Supporter

A bigger hammer is always the best answer! :eek::D

Will Lefeurve likes this.
  18. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Most Honored Senior Member

Stu.. I just know that you're the sort of guy who thinks one of these is a micrometer.. :)

[​IMG]

s5tuart likes this.
  19. Mike Furlong

Mike Furlong Strat-Talker

There's an old engineering saying over here "if in doubt increase the size of the hammer". Amazing how often that works. Good that you got it fixed and hope your injuries don't impede your playing:thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.