It's good I mostly play originals

tanta07

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2019
Colorado
This is actually a lot of what I have been thinking. The fact that the songs I am messing with are familiar, does not mean that I have listened to them enough to know structure and lyrics. I can usually pretty easily play the various parts and sing the parts I know but the whole complete thing, not so much.

The obvious thing would be for me to listen to the dang songs a lot, right???

Thar's whar works for me, anyway.

s5tuart

Perfecting time travel since 2525
Aug 8, 2011
All over the place!
I find that each song I try to learn has some sort of pattern.
Verse, verse, chorus, verse etc.
once I get that in my head I'm not having to think about chords and fills anymore and concentrate on the words.
If I was playing out I'd certainly consider using an iPad as a prompt for the lyrics.
Then I'd set up a YT playlist and cycle them round and round.

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Sachse TX behind the cemetary
once I get that in my head I'm not having to think about chords and fills anymore and concentrate on the words.
If I was playing out I'd certainly consider using an iPad as a prompt for the lyrics.
Perfect. Most everyone uses some kind of prompt whether tablet or paper and I was just contemplating a playlist.

Thanks

Last edited:

Hanson

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 3, 2016
Mesquite, Texas
Perfect. Most everyone uses some kind of promp whether tablet or paper and I was just contemplating a playlist.

Thanks
Using an iPad clipped to a mic stand was very common in the settings I’ve played over the last 8 years. Most of the time I didn’t really need it, but it was nice to have if I was to forget a bridge or loose my place.

Now if I had to remember lyrics on top of the chords and arrangements, I think it would be a necessity. At least until they were burned into my brain.

I would think there be ways to position it so that it’s not discreetly obvious to most people. They also make foot stomps which allow you to change pages seamlessly without touching the iPad.

crankmeister

Most Honored Senior Member
Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
This is actually a lot of what I have been thinking. The fact that the songs I am messing with are familiar, does not mean that I have listened to them enough to know structure and lyrics. I can usually pretty easily play the various parts and sing the parts I know but the whole complete thing, not so much.

I feel you, Dado.

I have learned the gist of a fair amount of songs, but when it gets more detailed I get bored.

The cool thing about doing acoustic covers is that a stripped down version of the song is expected. I love playing acoustic Foo Fighters.

As a strategy, maybe record your acoustic versions. That’ll bring a lot to the surface and you’ll be immersed in the learning process. Immersion really speeds up the learning.

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Sachse TX behind the cemetary
I feel you, Dado.

I have learned the gist of a fair amount of songs, but when it gets more detailed I get bored.

The cool thing about doing acoustic covers is that a stripped down version of the song is expected. I love playing acoustic Foo Fighters.

As a strategy, maybe record your acoustic versions. That’ll bring a lot to the surface and you’ll be immersed in the learning process. Immersion really speeds up the learning.
I am having super fun figuring out how I would want to do them.

pazman6

Senior Stratmaster
May 28, 2014
Prairieville, Louisiana
I can remember something within the first couple times playing it on guitar. Vocals escape me no matter how much I listen or rehearse them. I can remember all the lyrics to my own songs, but for covers I always used an ipad on the mic stand or printed lyrics on the floor - didn't need all of them but I found it easy to get caught up in the moment playing behind the guitar solo and then totally blank out for the last verse.

In a band situation, we would discuss the set list for the next week. I would learn the new song and play along with the cd 5 to 10 times and would usually have them down by then. We practiced every friday and played our whole main set and then worked on a few new sings. We played gigs very rarely, but could play everything pretty spot on every time. The key to getting it down perfect was rehearsing weekly as a band in a non-competitive environment just drinking, playing and BSing.

We didn't play together for 2 years and had the opportunity to play a gig at a going away party for the bass player. We got together the night before and played through our main 15 song set to refamiliarize ourselves and then did the gig the next night - played perfect on all 15 songs - muscle memory I guess. The main band didn't show that night so the bar told us to play the same set again after 90 minutes of dance music playing. Most of the crowd had swapped by then so it went well the second time through as well.

touch of gray

Strat-O-Master
Jul 10, 2022
Bismarck, ND

Listening over and over to the songs, singing along to them in the car, and practicing both alone and in a band context. Most, if not all of the bands I played in I was not the only singer, so I had less to memorize. And lastly, it really helps if they happen to be songs you love to play and sing.

touch of gray

Strat-O-Master
Jul 10, 2022
Bismarck, ND
No shame in having an iPad up there. Lucinda Williams had a songbook on a music stand on stage with her, and she wrote all of them!