Join Strat-Talk Today

I've got a problem

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by coltpeacemaker, Aug 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

That's not a problem.
    You've just proven to be an "Adventurer"!
    just like the rest of us, you've developed a taste for exploring the unknown! a taste for "danger!".
    As said by others, those changes will have you fiddling with the settings for a while till you can get satisfied.

coltpeacemaker likes this.
  2. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-O-Master

This guy has some of the best videos on YouTube for helping you understand and walk through on how to do what you need. I’ve attached a couple above and you can find more on his channel.

Super simple to setup a guitar and most people overthink it especially when they haven’t done it before or whatever. Just be patient and take your time. If anything it’ll help you understand your instrument better.

Reminds me of when I use to play Oboe and Bassoon in middle school, high school and university that I learned to make my own reeds. Both of these instruments are double reeds and those whoever played which were never many because they are both difficult to play/learn. But it was common practice to make your own reeds because you have two instead of one like others so it was cheaper but you also understood your instrument more, you made a connection and it’s a great feeling to understand.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  3. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

AxemanVR likes this.
  4. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

I know it seems like a hassle, but the tasks @Guitarmageddon suggests are well within your ability. With only a Phillips head screwdriver and a set of Allen wrenches, plus a little bit of coaching from the ST experts, you can learn to set up your own Strat. It's a great money saver, and it will make your guitar play better.

Two years ago I couldn't do anything with a guitar other than play it. The Strat Talk community patiently walked me through many situations such as yours. Starting with basically no skills or tools, I soon learned that a Strat is nearly idiot-proof. And I say that speaking as a confirmed idiot. :D

3bolt79 and coltpeacemaker like this.
  5. misterwogan

misterwogan Strat-O-Master

I know it seems like a load of hassle right now, but once you learn how to setup your own guitars you'll feel all the better for it. It can be trial and error, but no matter what mistakes you make - you can always correct them and learn a whole lot in the process.

coltpeacemaker likes this.
  6. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

tenor.gif

7. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

The best lesson/song you can ever learn on your guitar is how to do a good setup! :D Besides saving boatloads of $$$$ over your guitar playing career, you will become intimately familiar with the detailed nuances of what YOU like YOUR guitar to feel like! :cool: These skills (much like other necessary actions, like brushing your teeth, wiping yer butt, etc, and so on, ad naseam) will last and serve you well throughout your lifetime! :thumb: It ain't rocket surgery or brain science, yet pretty critical and specific for having a great playing experience!

Just My $.02,
    Gene

3bolt79 and Nadnitram like this.
  8. coltpeacemaker

coltpeacemaker Strat-Talk Member

Those videos really helped a lot! I've got a bit off a learning curve I guess regarding setting a strat up properly! I'm used to the Les Paul where stringing up is quite a simple job.

Kayden33 and Nadnitram like this.
  9. coltpeacemaker

coltpeacemaker Strat-Talk Member

I just want to say thanks to everyone for their encouragement for me to stick at it and learn to set up my strat up properly! I'm enjoying this fourum as everyone seems most helpful.
    Cheers

Nadnitram likes this.
  10. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Always happy to help. I don't think anyone gave you this link:

https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us...-do-I-set-up-my-Stratocaster-guitar-properly-

But if you can read a ruler and use a couple of basic hand tools, it gives you all the measurement and instructions to get you well into the ball park. By the time you get to the ball park, you'll likely catch on to the mechanics of it. At that point, you can likely figure out how to best "personalize" those adjustments!

FWIW, A large-ish portion of the enjoyment I derive from guitars is twiddlin' n tweakin' n workin' on 'em to make 'em even more to my liking, darned near as much as I like playing music on/with them!

Welcome To The Fun!
    Gene

coltpeacemaker, Nadnitram and 3bolt79 like this.
  11. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-O-Master

Glad they helped :) Out of all the videos on YouTube explaining such processes I believe this guys YouTube channel is some of the best. Very explanatory and informative. He has lots more videos on his channel to help as well.

You’ll get it down in no time and will think of it as nothing more than something as simple as changing strings ;)

coltpeacemaker, Nadnitram and 3bolt79 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.