I've owned probably 30 or more Epiphone Les Pauls

Lonn

Mod Admin
Staff member
Jul 6, 2014
Carmel IN
Korean, Chinese, Indonesian, everything but an MIJ one. Standards and Customs. I always found them to be very well built and only ever had one with any fret issues. I know they've obviously used different pickups over the years and that's been their downfall for me. The MIC Standard Pro models last 5 or so years have for me been the best sounding models ever. No idea what the pickups are but I really like them. All that said, the Oct 2001 Epi LP Custom I picked up yesterday is the best Epi I've ever had. The fit and finish are as usual top notch, but the pickups in this one jut sound great. Not muddy, boomy and bassy like so many others I've had. It's got some weight to it like an LP should, the fretboard and frets are perfect, and it's gorgeous on top of everything else. It's literally 20 years old and the gold hardware isn't tarnished. The bridge is a Tone Pros which I guess a previous owner installed.

248984452_4310195569035263_6967740305335837153_n.jpg

sonny wolf

Most Honored Senior Member
Aug 7, 2009
austin texas
I own a great 2016 one and I love it.It was in the used section at Guitar center but was in unplayed condition with the plastic films still on the pickups and pickguard so for $450 it was quite a good deal.I own some nice Gibson Les Pauls and SGs and this one really holds it own in terms of tone and playability.I owned other Epiphone Les Pauls but always hated those muddy sounding pickups(were the pickups the issue or the electronics or both?).But in 2014 Epiphone designed the Probucker pickups which is their version of Gibson's burstbuckers and use the same materials and they sound great...I have no intention of swapping mine out.

73404064_272520563673675_4564253387452841984_n (1).jpg

GarrettM

Strat-Talker
May 29, 2019
Australia
Korean, Chinese, Indonesian, everything but an MIJ one. Standards and Customs. I always found them to be very well built and only ever had one with any fret issues. I know they've obviously used different pickups over the years and that's been their downfall for me. The MIC Standard Pro models last 5 or so years have for me been the best sounding models ever. No idea what the pickups are but I really like them. All that said, the Oct 2001 Epi LP Custom I picked up yesterday is the best Epi I've ever had. The fit and finish are as usual top notch, but the pickups in this one jut sound great. Not muddy, boomy and bassy like so many others I've had. It's got some weight to it like an LP should, the fretboard and frets are perfect, and it's gorgeous on top of everything else. It's literally 20 years old and the gold hardware isn't tarnished. The bridge is a Tone Pros which I guess a previous owner installed.

View attachment 516304

Interesting. I also had an Oct 01 Custom for years. Bought it new in 2002, on a whim. I'd gone to look for a 335 type "bluesy" guitar and couldn't help but get the LP instead. Only sold it a couple years ago to find a PRS SE Custom 24.

The Custom was good, although heavy. It didn't get the same attention as my Am Std strat though.

Now they're all enjoying life with someone else.

Jimi Lightning

Dec 21, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I have an 07 Epi LP 100 that is for me absolutely perfect. So perfect its my standard for what an LP should be like.

My better half bought me sometime between 2017-2019 a new one as a spare it I sent it back. For me It was too light, the neck didn’t feel right and there where differences in the body cut. Same model guitar…but different.

I have since found another older one and they match.

Any one else ever experience this with any brand/model number varying?

axejock

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 26, 2018
Washington State
30 or more LP Epiphones? Couldn't find one you liked or did the tuner head break off of all of them? :sneaky: I've got a brand new Epi Les Paul that I think is called the "modern" version? It is a superb guitar!

Tguitarfloyd

Strat-Talker
Aug 5, 2020
Tucson AZ
I have an 07 Epi LP 100 that is for me absolutely perfect. So perfect its my standard for what an LP should be like.

My better half bought me sometime between 2017-2019 a new one as a spare it I sent it back. For me It was too light, the neck didn’t feel right and there where differences in the body cut. Same model guitar…but different.

I have since found another older one and they match.

Any one else ever experience this with any brand/model number varying?
Haha! My mind is blown that your wife bought you a new Les Paul guitar and you sent it back! And....because it was too light! Older geezers like me are always on the lookout for a lighter weight Les Paul. And a gift from the missus is always something to keep and cherish. "A happy wife is a happy life" as the saying goes. Hope your better half didn't feel slighted.

Jimi Lightning

Dec 21, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Haha! My mind is blown that your wife bought you a new Les Paul guitar and you sent it back! And....because it was too light! Older geezers like me are always on the lookout for a lighter weight Les Paul. And a gift from the missus is always something to keep and cherish. "A happy wife is a happy life" as the saying goes. Hope your better half didn't feel slighted.

lol…nope she was good with it. It just didn’t feel right and the kicker for me was the slight changes in the body style. I did pick up another one of the same year and last week another I am trying to get so Im good for LP’s….for now. :whistling: