I've owned probably 30 or more Epiphone Les Pauls

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Lonn, Oct 31, 2021.

1. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Korean, Chinese, Indonesian, everything but an MIJ one. Standards and Customs. I always found them to be very well built and only ever had one with any fret issues. I know they've obviously used different pickups over the years and that's been their downfall for me. The MIC Standard Pro models last 5 or so years have for me been the best sounding models ever. No idea what the pickups are but I really like them. All that said, the Oct 2001 Epi LP Custom I picked up yesterday is the best Epi I've ever had. The fit and finish are as usual top notch, but the pickups in this one jut sound great. Not muddy, boomy and bassy like so many others I've had. It's got some weight to it like an LP should, the fretboard and frets are perfect, and it's gorgeous on top of everything else. It's literally 20 years old and the gold hardware isn't tarnished. The bridge is a Tone Pros which I guess a previous owner installed.

248984452_4310195569035263_6967740305335837153_n.jpg

2. unionjack515

unionjack515 Senior Stratmaster

It’s funny, on the mobile browser, the title of the this thread leaves out “Epiphone.” What a glorious formatting result!!

3. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster Platinum Supporting Member Silver Member

That came out fantastic

4. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Most Honored Senior Member

I own a great 2016 one and I love it.It was in the used section at Guitar center but was in unplayed condition with the plastic films still on the pickups and pickguard so for $450 it was quite a good deal.I own some nice Gibson Les Pauls and SGs and this one really holds it own in terms of tone and playability.I owned other Epiphone Les Pauls but always hated those muddy sounding pickups(were the pickups the issue or the electronics or both?).But in 2014 Epiphone designed the Probucker pickups which is their version of Gibson's burstbuckers and use the same materials and they sound great...I have no intention of swapping mine out.

73404064_272520563673675_4564253387452841984_n (1).jpg

Stonetone and fattboyzz like this.
  5. GarrettM

GarrettM Strat-Talker

Interesting. I also had an Oct 01 Custom for years. Bought it new in 2002, on a whim. I'd gone to look for a 335 type "bluesy" guitar and couldn't help but get the LP instead. Only sold it a couple years ago to find a PRS SE Custom 24.

The Custom was good, although heavy. It didn't get the same attention as my Am Std strat though.

Now they're all enjoying life with someone else.

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  6. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

I have an 07 Epi LP 100 that is for me absolutely perfect. So perfect its my standard for what an LP should be like.

My better half bought me sometime between 2017-2019 a new one as a spare it I sent it back. For me It was too light, the neck didn’t feel right and there where differences in the body cut. Same model guitar…but different.

I have since found another older one and they match.

Any one else ever experience this with any brand/model number varying?

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  7. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

30 or more LP Epiphones? Couldn't find one you liked or did the tuner head break off of all of them? :sneaky: I've got a brand new Epi Les Paul that I think is called the "modern" version? It is a superb guitar!

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  8. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

I digg black with gold on an LP !

9. Tguitarfloyd

Tguitarfloyd Strat-Talker

Haha! My mind is blown that your wife bought you a new Les Paul guitar and you sent it back! And....because it was too light! Older geezers like me are always on the lookout for a lighter weight Les Paul. And a gift from the missus is always something to keep and cherish. "A happy wife is a happy life" as the saying goes. Hope your better half didn't feel slighted.

StratUp likes this.
  10. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

Nice black beauty! :thumb:

11. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

lol…nope she was good with it. It just didn’t feel right and the kicker for me was the slight changes in the body style. I did pick up another one of the same year and last week another I am trying to get so Im good for LP’s….for now. :whistling:

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  12. Hanson

Hanson Senior Stratmaster

Very good instruments come out of Epiphone these days. Just bought this 2021 ES 335 and I’m loving it. The pickups sound great.

1ED71818-1FB2-4F8E-B0BC-00092FA4EDA6.jpeg

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  13. Stubie78

Stubie78 Strat-O-Master

Still love my 56 goldtop.
    Screenshot_20211023-001730_WhatsApp.jpg

Tguitarfloyd and Torvald like this.