Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Izotope Neutron Elements

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Dadocaster, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Probably most have heard of Neutron or maybe downloaded the freebie Neutrino from Izotope. I am not a big spender but Neutron Elements hit my sweet spot for an impulse buy gift to me. :D

The Neutron and littler versions combine a really full featured channel strip with some interesting machine learning stuff. Obviously, the big expensive one has the most extensive set of machine learning tools. But, now that I have had a bit of time to mess with Neutron Elements, I can say that for me personally, this might be useful. I have not messed with it enough to offer a complete review but there are a few things that jump out: Turn on the EQ hit the button that says "Learn" and turn on the track. A few seconds later, the gadget identifies and moves the nodes for the EQ around to where it hears some stuff going on. Then you can go boost and cut to taste. It seems to do a good job finding those frequencies and I am looking forward to messing with it some more.

TheDuck likes this.

2. Dadocaster

Using "Track Assistant" the gadget listens to your audio, identifies what kind of audio it is, analyzes the track and generates a starting point, essentially a custom made preset, for all the parameters in the channel strip.

I think this will be my go to channel strip no matter what. I like the metering and the modules can be put in any order. Not the usual strip choices. It has Compressor, EQ, Exciter and Tansient Shaper. Nice combination.

TheDuck likes this.

3. amagras

amagras Strat-Talker

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    I think is a great plugin, the version I have has a feature that shows a visual representation of where two tracks are masking each other so you can take the pertinent action with the built in eq or external. I don't like that it is too heavy and introduces several thousand of ms of latency to the track and that's probably the reason I never use it but it's a great tool, probably all it's needed to mix a record.

4. Dadocaster

To be honest, I jumped on this version wanting that visual representation of masking since I have so much trouble with that. I later discovered I spent 100 dollars to little. I do think that it's such a good plug and so easy to use that it is going to help me anyway.

amagras likes this.

5. amagras

amagras Strat-Talker

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    Then you are in luck, izotope has great upgrade prices, especially in the holidays. If you like it then you can upgrade to the standard version (the one I have) which has all the features of the pro version but the detached modules (you will have to insert the whole combo every time).

I have to say mine was a gift, I wouldn't spend in that as I find the abundance of features to be a problem for me instead of a help, probably because I'm used to the stock plugins Pro Tools have but now I can say with total confidence that Neutron Standard is a one of the most powerful and smartest tools ever invented, probably the beginning of a revolution that will eclipse Landr and other online mix/mastering services.

6. Dadocaster

I did some mixing last night on something Boyo did last weekend. By mixing I mean I inserted my little Neutron Elements on each track and let it work. It did a fair job and put me in a position of making a corrective eq move or two per track rather than fighting through the whole thing. It's a bit conservative for my tastes on use of compression on drums/bass and seems to like compression on guitars a lot more than I do. It's very interesting and may well be something that allows me to get close to a finished mix.

amagras likes this.

7. amagras

amagras Strat-Talker

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    What I've seen is that it does a great job cleaning up the unnecessary frequencies and improving the stereo image, it's the perfect tool for when I don't know what to do with a track. Can you share before/after links to your mix? I would like to hear what you did.

8. Dadocaster

Will ask Boyo. He is very possessive of his tracks.

amagras likes this.

9. amagras

amagras Strat-Talker

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    Aren't we all?

10. Dadocaster

OK, Boyo said OK but cautioned me it was just an idea sketch and that he intends to do it all again. I had done very little with it so I just removed all inserts, leveled and exported, then put an instance of Neutron Elements on each track, used Track Assistant, then did the same on the master buss, leveled and exported.

@amagras

amagras and TheDuck like this.

11. Dadocaster

@TheDuck

What do you think of the initial result of the auto mixerization?

12. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Tighter, more low end punch and high end air.
    Some places in the track don't show the difference blatantly, in other places, I didn't so much notice its there, but when its not, I can hear it clear as day.
    Through my computer speakers, the difference was noticeably, through my JBL monitors, it was really noticeable.

13. Dadocaster

That's what I get too and I think a lot of it is as amagras suggested "cleaning up the unnecessary frequencies."

14. amagras

amagras Strat-Talker

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    I only saw this now, I will listen in a minute thank you so much both of you

15. amagras

amagras Strat-Talker

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    I just listened to this, I like the unprocessed tracks better, with N it sounds more punchy but it is also too filtered or something else that makes me think on a studio rather than the music. That's why I don't use it that often. Great jam, I loved the pad chords at the end!

16. Dadocaster

My son does not like the sounds that Neutron Elements comes up with. Too much in the high register is his main complaint. That's OK by me. I really like the thing as a channel strip even if the auto stuff does not work well.

17. Dadocaster

Also, guitars and bass are done with Avid Eleven Rack. TheDuck talked about it so much that we got one and it has nice sounds.

18. amagras

amagras Strat-Talker

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    I have all the stomp boxes from 11r in the forms of plugins, I love and use them a lot.