Jack made incorrectly... think it's Switchcraft?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by StratUp, Jun 7, 2021.

1. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Ordered this off Amazon. It was supposed to be Switchcraft. I'm thinking it's counterfeit.

Everything looks OK from what I see, down to the three locking indents on the supplied jack washer. But the center contact is too tall. See the photo: The tip groove doesn't reach "hook". It's short by a few mm.

Ever seen this? I can't imagine how this could be a manufacturing error at Switchcraft.

upload_2021-6-7_19-33-58.png

(FYI - if the center contact appears a little bent in the backbone, ignore that. I tried to put a hump in it to make it work temporarily but it needs too much bend and the hump prevents inserting it into the guitar (Les Paul style heel jack hole).

StratoMutt and Wound_Up like this.
  2. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-O-Master

I've never seen a Switchcraft do that. Possibly a fake, have you tried a different cable? Some plugs on some cables fit better in the jacks.

3. Wayne Adams

Wayne Adams Strat-O-Master

Switchcraft makes a jack that has a longer bushing to extend through a thicker mounting panel or a guitar's body wood. If I were guessing, I'd say someone got parts mixed up during assembly: put a standard tip contact on a long-shaft body. That's not something I would expect to see from Switchcraft, but I guess anybody can screw up once in a while.

https://guitarpedalparts.com/produc...u23CjUbShxieC5AhdOZCFuKGI-Ywvb3IaAikaEALw_wcB

4. StratUp

Yeah... tried several. Nothing will even clip in.

Just spitballin'... interesting thought and direction. Perhaps I'll grind the top thread section shorter as a tie over until I get a new jack in stock.

Bob the builder and Wayne Adams like this.
  5. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

I has to reshape one just last night. Push that long leg closer to center. Close that bottom u a bit. Should be fine.

Wayne Adams likes this.
  6. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

Is it stamped like this one?

upload_2021-6-7_21-58-34.png

PCollen, vid1900 and Scott Baxendale like this.
  7. StratUp

Tried to do that. The hump ended up so large that it displaced the jack in the hole in the guitar because it was leaning on the wood. Wiggled it in, but a couple times in and out and the pressure against the wood straightened it back out.

Groovey likes this.
  8. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

I started seeing/experiencing poor quality switchcraft jacks and plugs around 2015. I stopped ordering them in 2016 after sc confirmed that I had received genuine sc parts and not some cheap crap they scrounged up...elsewhere.

I'm a Neutrik and Amphenol kind of fellow now.

9. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  10. Colnago1

Colnago1 Senior Stratmaster

That’s a strange one. I install 100’s of these jacks a year and have never come across one like that. It’s either a fake or someone was sleeping on the job and made a booboo.

93-Strat and StratoMutt like this.
  11. StratoMutt

Switchcraft is still made in the USA. That is what I will buy. Have done so for over forty years.

93-Strat likes this.
  12. StratUp

Will have to recheck. I don't think so.

Based on your suggestion that you made one work, I tried some re-bending. I squeezed down the U and then put a simpler single angle in the back. Still a tight fit on the guitar but it does go into the hole in one orientation... and it will work while I get a replacement.

upload_2021-6-8_17-0-19.png

13. StratoMutt

If not, take it up with Amazon for selling counterfeits.

I've never had a Switchcraft product fail. The phone plug is over 140 years old. Keep it simple.

I'm surprised it has been continually used for music amplifiers. There is that annoying brief short circuit when plugged in or unplugged.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)

"The phone connector was invented for use in telephone switchboards in the 19th century and is still widely used".

"Modern phone connectors are available in three standard sizes. The original 1⁄4 inch (6.35 mm) version descends from as early as 1877, when the first-ever telephone switchboard was installed at 109 Court Street in Boston in a building owned by Charles Williams, Jr.;or 1878, when an early switchboard was used for the first commercial manual telephone exchange in New Haven, Connecticut created by George W. Coy. The 1877 switchboard was last known to be located in the lobby of 185 Franklin Street, Boston".

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    StratUp likes this.
  14. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

Same. They're in all 3 of my guitars.

I swear those PureTone jacks seem like they cut down on that a bit. That and I now always use a circuit breaker cable from D'addario so I just make the entire thing silent before I unplug or plug in. I used the PureTone jacks with standard cables for a while and then got the D'addario.

I'd like to try the automatic cables that automatically break the circuit and go quiet as soon as you begin to remove the cable from the jack.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  15. StratoMutt

Meh, I've got used to the routine over 40 years ago.

I like the notion of the PureTone, but they are made in China. Give me the less expensive old timey made in USA Switchcraft every time. :)

Colnago1 likes this.
  16. Driftwood

Driftwood Strat-Talker

Can you provide proof of that? I don't believe it is so any longer. It seems just about every component has been shipped to chinese production. I could be mistaken but twenty years ago switchcraft and modern switchcraft do not appear to me to be the same level of quality. Apologies if I am mistaken.

StratoMutt likes this.
  17. StratoMutt

No apologies needed. :)

https://www.switchcraft.com/about_us_main.aspx

I have late 70s Switchcraft plugs and jacks in addition to recently made products. Damn if they do not look the same with a few minor changes.

The tip insulator is now a white I assume plastic, whereas the late 70s on top was a Bakelite(?) or circuit board material. They now stamp the barrel with their name below.

That is my oldest surviving cable, DIY'd. I never gigged or gave it truly hard use. Lots of use for a several years, then it sat for years off and on when I was not playing. Had it been harshly used the entire time I do not know how well it would have held up.

My 1973 Les Paul Custom still has its original Switchcraft jack.

IMG0903.jpg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Driftwood likes this.
  18. StratoMutt

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    StratUp likes this.
  19. StratUp

I like the concept, but I don't like another point of failure in the line.

The traditional jack is very simple and subject to few issues (if it's made correctly... see my post at the start of this thread :). Simple is good.

StratoMutt likes this.
  20. StratoMutt

I never tried the plug with a switch. Switchcraft has been making them for as long as I have been playing (1975).

I too thought a potential point of failure when I had already learned the plug / unplug routine.

I have seen many phone plugs come and go over the years. Most seemed to me to try to reinvent the already perfected "wheel".

StratUp likes this.