Join Strat-Talk Today

Jackson Soloist refret dilemma

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by diogoguitar, Mar 23, 2019.

1. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

Hey guys,

my LEFT HANDED Jackson guitar is in pretty good shape and I really like it, except for...

1. The neck is a hair thicker than how I would like (22mm at the 12th fret vs 19mm on Ibanez)
    2. The neck has a gloss finish on the back
    3. It has nickel frets, which have still 95% of life left, but could use a simple fret dress
    I can enjoy the guitar enough to not care so much about 1 and 2 but this constant feeling that the frets need some work is growing on my head. I have 2 options:
    1. Refret the instrument with stainless steel frets, so I don't have to ever worry about fret dress again. It will cost me $250-$300+ given the neck has binding
    2. Sell the guitar for $1600-$1800 and get one that has stainless steel frets for $1800-$2200
    My options for stainless steel fretted guitars are:

1. Ibanez RG 5121 Prestige ($1800 new, but I have to wait until Ibanez releases this in lefty)
    2. Suhr Modern Mahogany Satin ($1600-2200, but I have to see how I like the pau ferro fretboard vs mine that has ebony... it also has 22mm thick neck)
    3. Kiesel DC600 for about $1400-$1600, but resale value stinks and I have no idea how comfortable/good to play it is compared to the other options
    what do you guys think? refret or replace? If replace, which option? Thanks

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  2. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

Replace it. You been thinking about it for quite some time.

diogoguitar likes this.
  3. diogoguitar

for the record, I could dress the frets, but that would be required again in a few months, which is a hassle for me.

Worth noting that on paper this jackson guitar is almost perfect for me:
    1. Excellent fit and finish with beautiful flame maple top
    2. Nice compound radius neck
    3. EBONY FRETBOARD --> this is a huge plus
    4. good seymour duncan pickups
    5. neck through construction --> I like it, but not a must
    Not to mention the nice jackson logo, but that's a cherry on the pie.

Honestly the Ibanez RG 5121 would be a no brainer, but I don't know for sure that Ibanez will release this in lefty

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Seymour Duncan likes this.
  4. hippychip

hippychip Strat-Talker

You are not making any sense---the frets are in "very good shape", but "need a redress" Which is it?

fretter likes this.
  5. diogoguitar

I meant to say they need a tiny level but have a ton of meat leftover. Let me edit my original post

6. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

It's OK. I give you permission to buy a new guitar.

diogoguitar likes this.
  7. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

Play it till the wheels fall off then refret

8. fretter

fretter Strat-Talker

Enjoy it the way it is, or sell it. You won't be 100% happy with it after you've altered it and will end up selling it anyway.

diogoguitar likes this.
  9. diogoguitar

Ok, I'll give it a shot by dressing the frets. We'll see what happens. I did some research and saw that it will be hard to find a suhr non custom shop with the extra thin neck and ebony board.
    Also, by reading other forums, Kiesel seemed to not be at par with ibanez prestige that I'm used to.

The other option is ESP, but to get the stainless frets it would be crazy expensive (either refret or custom shop).

I guess I'll just hold on to it until Ibanez releases a lefty prestige model with ebony fretboard and ss frets...

knh555 likes this.
  10. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

^^^^^^^^
    this

Are you making this more complicated than it is? You have more than the two choices you specified. Why worry about a wear item that's not worn out atm?

Unless you want a new guitar. Then either get a new one or sell this one and get a new one b/c you need to fund it.

diogoguitar likes this.
  11. diogoguitar

yeah the angel on my right ear is telling me I just want a new guitar. My wife has seen many guitars in and out over the last 12 months and is not 100% happy about it :D:D. They are all great (all Japanese or American).

I think the biggest problem I have w/ nickel frets is that they wear out very gradually, so I don't necessarily feel the compromise increasing until I start missing a note or two while soloing. It doesn't help the fact that I'm not freakin' Joe satriani who can play anything in any guitar lol

I like the feel of the ss frets and like to know they won't wear out and mess up with the guitar's playability. That way I would have one less variable to worry about. If I mess up a note, I know it's me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.