Join Strat-Talk Today

Jaguar choices, choices

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Jigawatt, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Jigawatt

Jigawatt Strat-Talker

Thought I’d share my experience. Yesterday I went to Andertons in Guildford with every intention of buying a sunburst Vintera Jaguar. They have private trail booths there. I had in there a Vintera Jaguar, the now discontinued Classic Player and the Squier 70’s Classic vibe. I was strong and walked away with nothing.

The Vintera looked the best and has the best pickups for me but wasn’t even close to being set up. Horrible to play. I can see past this but the main thing I wasn’t sure about was the neck profile. Quite fat and round.

The classic player had the best neck profile but horrible hot pickups and a tune’o’matic bridge, which I’m not a fan of. But again set up badly with really sharp fret ends some sprouting from the edges. Real bad. This was a £900 guitar...

The Classic vibe was the best all rounder. Good neck, the pickups weren’t bad, although not as good as the Vintera, just generally better made. And half the price. The only issue was it was black. If they’d had a sunburst I might have walked out with it. Not sure the burst looks quite as good as the Vintera though.

Now I’m looking at secondhand Squier vintage modifieds.
    Just wish the Vintera had a slightly slimmer neck. (And I have an AVRI ‘62 hot rod!)

Rich.

Namelyguitar likes this.
  2. 79olympicwhite

79olympicwhite Strat-Talker

To me neck profile is everything.... it’s gots be comfortable that’s what inspires me to pick it up and play

Namelyguitar likes this.
  3. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

The Vintera's neck was quite fat and round? Ok, now I'm interested.

I was going to recommend the Johnny Marr Jag, but if you don't like thick-ish necks you would not like it at all.

Namelyguitar likes this.
  4. Lone Woof

This demo of the Vintera Modified Jag is smoking hot. They didn't demo the trem, though, so I'm wondering how stable the tuning is with trem use. If this came with a rosewood fretboard, I think I'd be in there today saying "Just take my money."

JP68 likes this.
  5. hexnut

hexnut Strat-Talker

Haven't seen the new Jaguars. I've got two jags, a 60s nitro that has a fairly slim neck and a Johnny Marr that has a fatter neck like they had in the mid 60s. The fatter neck doesn't bother me at all. The pickups in the Johnny Marr are killer. They are so much deeper and sound great. The Johnny Marr is made in California.

JP68 likes this.
  6. Jigawatt

Jigawatt Strat-Talker

I do like the Jonny Marr. Too expensive for me though. For me getting a jag is to just scratch an itch at the moment. I don’t want to go in too hard.
    I’ll have a look around for a 60’s Classic.

ajb1965 likes this.
  7. Lone Woof

The older Squier Vintage Modified was quite good and can be found for $275USD used. I had one before my Marrguar.

Jigawatt likes this.
  8. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

The Johnny Marr Jag is one of the best guitars fender has put out in the post cbs era IMHO...

Lone Woof and hexnut like this.
  9. Lone Woof

The Johnny Marr Jag is the best non-custom shop guitar Fender has put out in the post CBS era.

There, fixed it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.