Join Strat-Talk Today

Jam 135 Put on your soul shoes with Al Green

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Chipper, Jun 9, 2019.

1. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

I like the perspective you used here. Some parts you solo'ed over B minor aeolian, making this your "home" key instead of E minor aeolian. This makes the E minor chord sound dorian, which is a different texture, and is a nice surprise to the listener. Both perspectives are theoretically right. I went the boring route and played just E minor aeolian, the most expected thing. The tone of that Jaguar is interesting, and the playing is relaxed and fluid...kind of Hendrix-y with a Jag. Didn't want to make this too theory-bent, as it doesn't really mean much to me. Heart is more important imo.

mjark, Chipper and Alan L Cole like this.
  2. rafasounds

I like the watery tone in the beginning, is that a kind of uni vibe effect? Nice phrasing and timing too.

3. Chipper

Chipper Strat-O-Master

I think I was using a flanger with the speed set at 65 bpm to match the tempo of the song, and reverb.

rafasounds likes this.
  4. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Quick edit to fix audio de-sync:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Chipper, Omar, Alan L Cole and 2 others like this.
  5. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V Strat-Talk Supporter

i felt like having another go:

Chipper, Omar, Alan L Cole and 3 others like this.
  6. Brian H

Brian H Senior Stratmaster

7. Brian H

Brian H Senior Stratmaster

that one has a good tip.....at 3:40 I totally hit a bad note. which is noticeable, but what makes it less bad, it bending on it a little. It makes it somewhat part of the following note when it had been intendedto be a note standing on it own. My mind got distracted and I was thinking....am I at the end or is there another 'verse'...and lost focus.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    fretter and rafasounds like this.
  8. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

There's nothing wrong with your vibrato. I doubt you're all that old too!

rafasounds likes this.
  9. rafasounds

Thanks Mark. I like all the aspects of your playing and musicianship (your submission to Fezz's workshop really had me grooving and enlightened by the sunny vibe), but concerning vibrato specifically, it seems very natural to you, like smooth waves. In my case, it doesn't come naturally, and is a conscious effort. It has been for some years. There was a time when it used to come naturally, before my twenties and in the early twenties. This was before I went through a big change in technique. I used 9's and played in a different way. Then I changed my technique, went up to 10's, and the vibratos have suffered ever since, and I can't go back to the way I played before, my musculature, the grip etc, it's all a very specific technical anatomical thing which I'm sure you understand. In the last few years I've tried to develop a more natural vibrato, it has improved a bit, but still feels forced to me. My fingertips, especially on the first finger, are always peeling off from the tremendous force I apply to the vibratos, and I can't develop a lighter grip when I'm playing for real. One thing is to play in the practice mindset, other thing is to play as an extension of the soul...a situation in which you don't have much mind space to concentrate on material minutia. It comes out the way it comes out I suppose, there's little to do, it is what it is.

I'm 30 and a half, I guess I'm going through a "30 crisis". I don't feel as youthful as my 20 year old self, yet I know I'm not that far from it. I guess it's going to be a recurring theme from now on. Trying to live up to the "good old days", which were not always that good, but everybody feels invincible at 20, and now I feel like I'm going toward old age, which I really am, although I'm just 30. Man, I need to stop thinking like this. As soon as I turn 31, I will feel young again. Sorry for the long rant.

fretter and mjark like this.
  10. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V Strat-Talk Supporter

@rafasounds, ease up on yourself, dude... i love the way you play!

rafasounds likes this.
  11. rafasounds

Thanks Erica! I like DiCaprio. I've been trying really hard ease up on myself lol There's been some improvement. Life is good :)

dogletnoir likes this.
  12. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Breathe. It's all I can think of!

rafasounds likes this.
  13. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Senior Stratmaster

Hey young man, you're not even 31 and you think you're old!!! Don't make me come down there and have a talk with you! ;) I'll be 66 soon and I don't think I'm old.
    You have lots to look forward to. I believe a new baby and many years to develop your already great playing. Hell I pull on tens all day, so can you. Forget the old guy stuff and embrace life young man. You are only truly old once you're laid to rest. Rock on 'cause I wanna hear more Rafasounds!

Chipper, fretter and rafasounds like this.
  14. Alan L Cole

Sweet swayin' in a warm breeze.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    dogletnoir likes this.
  15. fretter

fretter Strat-Talker

I'm hoping to add a post on Saturday. By that time, it might be crickets around here.

16. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

17. Alan L Cole

Nice dance with the piano Mr. Bit; it was magical and cast a spell on me. Cool!

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  18. fretter

fretter Strat-Talker

Chipper likes this.
  19. fretter

fretter Strat-Talker

I was going to attempt another take, but the music was too depressing. Great track though.

20. fretter

fretter Strat-Talker

Enjoy your 30s because you'll be older in your 40s. You laid down some incredible licks a few weeks ago. Maybe you're just busier now than you were in your 20s. Priorities change. That's not a bad thing.

rafasounds likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.