jam 30 (weekly) - slow 'blues' a la moore (gary)

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by montemerrick, Apr 3, 2017.

1. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

are you using audacity?

2. jungle faced jake

jungle faced jake Strat-Talker

nah,it's the cubase elements that came with the audio interface.I could figure it out,but chances are,the next time I need it I'd start over.

3. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Strat-O-Master

My unrefined one take ,clams and all.

s5tuart, tonenut, duzie and 5 others like this.
  4. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Silver Member

Admin Post
    I'm too sleep-deprived and inexperienced to come up with intelligent comments for all of your great submissions...

@simoncroft - great playing as always.
    @Marlsboi - very cool sort of retro sound.

Marlsboi likes this.
  5. Zumus

Zumus Strat-Talk Member

kinda don't like blues but was pretty fun.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    s5tuart, TheDuck, tonenut and 6 others like this.
  6. alainvey

alainvey Senior Stratmaster

I disliked my previous take.

@joe_cpwe Very little gain on that tone really, no saturation or sustain; worst of both worlds :D

Edit: Sorry, Joe, I got the thread mixed up ^_^

I did this, which was at least fun:

BobbyS, s5tuart, TheDuck and 5 others like this.
  7. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, I'm still in Mayfield, not Moore. Nice clean tone here. :thumbd: @alainvey

alainvey likes this.
  8. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

9. simoncroft

simoncroft Still playing. Still learning! Silver Member

Wow! Jam #30 is certainly a massive success. I'm blown away by the creativity of everyone who has posted so far.

@Marlsbol – You’ve approached this with an individual tone, which is engaging and expressive. ‘Attention span’? I can tell you didn’t need to read the instructions on the tin! Really good take.

@blasphemoustrat – Lovely, soulful playing over what is basically the same track we have this week. So that was Challenge #30? Before my time, but very nicely played. There are some wild bends in there.

@Brian H – A take that should help to grow your fan-base on YouTube! You started out very restrained and ‘Parisienne Walkways’, but it transformed into an intense rush of expression. Excellent.

@Ebidis 2 – You have a really great vibrato, which combined with your ‘edge of feedback’ tone makes for a real impact.

@tonenut – Proof – not that any were needed – that a Tele can be a serious tool for playing wailing and righteous blues. Your playing and tone were very powerful.

@bluestringer – There’s an honesty to your take I like a lot. You’re telling a story, and you’re not afraid to let some space (ie the ‘rests’) do some of the talking.

@ProSonicLive – Your phrasing was dramatic in places, and your bends are very good indeed. In the first half of this take, especially, you had a great feel for the changes too.

@jungle faced jake – Ooh, nicely played. Phrased like a real blues guy at the start. Nice use of octaves. There’s some great variations in what you play too. Towards the end, there was as much Bertolt Brecht as BB King!

@Mellencaster – I was about to write ‘polished’, when I saw you’d written ‘unrefined’ in your description. To me, that’s a very fine take. I like it a lot.

@Zumus – Your approach is extremely melodic and sweet-toned. For a player who doesn’t especially like blues music, you make some very effective music over these changes.

@alainvey 2 – To my ear, this is the better of your two takes. Both are exceptional, but I feel this one maybe cuts closer to ‘The Blues’.

@carolinaeasy – You’ve probably written the theme for a great cop series there! If I’d have managed half as many melodic ideas in my take as you’ve delivered there, I’d be feeling like a composer.

Whatever we decide to do for next week, I really hope everyone here wants to have another go!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  10. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

I'm confused I think...I'm pretty sure I played over the same track as everyone else. I just downloaded the MP3 version so I had the full 11 min to play with rather than the 430 or so that the others seemed to be using. The backing track creator just posted this one last week.

Thanks for the kind words though.

11. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I think the misunderstanding is that this is JAM #30, and you labeled it CHALLENGE 30.

12. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

OH! yeah, that could be.

13. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

@alainvey First take, I really loved the restraint and felt like I was listening to this in a quiet, nearly empty bar after midnight. I also really liked the clean, rawer tone. Nice crescendo about four minutes in. Great playing as always. I also love that you wanted to make it better.

@heltershelton Very cool. Nice up and down and back up again to just keep building tension from start to end.

@ebidis Why do I feel like you're just teasing us? Again, awesome restraint that lets the tension just build up with a great slow motion crescendo.

@mansonienneNicely underplayed, in a great way. Another smokey bar tune, nice and mellow.

@mjark Super mellow. Very cool. I imagined a lit cigaratte tucked between strings at the headstock, smoke slowly rising.

@duzie Very cool tone. Great tune to just have going on in a loop in the background. All. Day. Long.

@simoncroft If that's you just going for it, don't bother preparing. Ever.

@dbbluesproject I like the extra percussion early on. Mesmerizing. Awesome use of mixed rhythms to build the tune. Methinks you've done this before. ;)

@blasphemoustrat Purposeful and precise. That thing just cried.

@Brian H You're opening phrase made me think 80's rock meets the blues, which teased where you were taking this thing to beautifully.

Listening to all these makes me rethink my larger approach. I'm really loving the more underplayed stuff here this week. I hope to have time soon to listen to the rest.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  14. knh555

My fiddling skills are most certainly low budget. :whistling: I can live with that.

TheDuck and alainvey like this.
  15. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Senior Stratmaster

Sorry - not lots of time this week. Laid down a rhythm track and one take solo line with a number of misfires. :(

s5tuart, mjark, TheDuck and 4 others like this.
  16. tonenut

tonenut Senior Stratmaster

@tonenut – Proof – not that any were needed – that a Tele can be a serious tool for playing wailing and righteous blues. Your playing and tone were very powerful.

Thanks Simon... My new 199.00 stock affinity tele... nice for the price lol

simoncroft likes this.
  17. knh555

Teles are great blues guitars. Just ask Albert Collins.

tonenut likes this.
  18. Brian H

Brian H Senior Stratmaster

I did one with less gain that I thought would be more mellow...

s5tuart, mjark, TheDuck and 4 others like this.
  19. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

and Muddy.
    and Deborah Coleman (my favorite obscure blues guitarist)

knh555 likes this.
  20. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

i did a take on my strat last night but didn't post it, because the tone that was coming out of my amp did not make it through the fone. sadly my bad playing did.

so here's another. the playing is not really any better just quieter.

i recommend using headphones with the sound muted.

tonenut, s5tuart, mjark and 6 others like this.