Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Jam 65 – BB King-style in C

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by simoncroft, Dec 4, 2017.

1. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Thanks. I agree and almost deleted the first posting to simply replace it with the second, as it felt a bit noodly to me. However, it had already been listened to and I figured there's no harm in leaving it up.

Omar and TheDuck like this.

2. Brian H

Brian H Strat-O-Master

Feb 7, 2016
    Delaware
    I played thru it a couple times before recording and forgot about the break right at the end!

Swingbass, duzie, fattboyzz and 7 others like this.

3. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Brian H and Omar like this.

4. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I dont know any BB licks per say, though I know a few from Albert.
    First half is King "style" tribute, and the second is a tribute to Gary Moore.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Swingbass, duzie, fattboyzz and 7 others like this.

5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    If I have any fingers left later on I might have a crack at the "Carpet Fitting Blues". Now where did I put Stanley's knife?

6. bluestringer

bluestringer Strat-Talker

Jul 4, 2013
    South Georgia
    Wow, good stuff guys. I gave it a try...........

7. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Funky, honky tone @bluestringer. Very much in the "King" groove. Nicely played!

Omar likes this.

8. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @mjark – That’s a very authentic feel for blues you have there. Your lines really tell a story, and your phrases contain plenty of variety (for 6:31!) without ever stepping outside the genre. Thank you for persevering without the help of a downloadable track!

@Ebidis – I couldn’t even get the jam number right, either! Alas, I wasn’t feeling at all well yesterday, but I fixed the numbering a little earlier. Your take immediately got off to a strong, purposeful start. You play a fine blues, with plenty of expression, and space in all the right places. Great tone from that Gretsch.

@knh555 – 1. Surf blues! This is a very original take, although it reminds me a little of early Jeff Beck in places, and it is very expressive. 2. This one is much closer to the classic Elmore James, one-mic-in-the-room, sound and style. As blues, I feel this is the more successful take, as it has a stronger narrative.

@Brian H – As @TheDuck said, you’re not just playing the blues, you’re preaching it. I often type these mini-reviews as I’m listening. In this case I just gawped. If you’d have played that at Woodstock, we can be pretty certain it wouldn’t have ended up on the cutting-room floor.

@TheDuck – I like the title! I like your tone even more though – I don’t think I’ve heard EMGs sound that Stratty. Your Albert is very good, but your Gary is a real show-stopper. You fast! What we may never know is whether you were doing the ‘Moore blues face’ at the same time. ..

@bluestringer – A man who understands the power of the rest notes. BB was often an economical player, and you’ve captured that very well. Your ‘edge of breakup’ tone is on the money too. I hope your woman hasn’t really left you, because it sure sounds like it.

Keep it up chaps. I’m off to kill a man in Chicago… Actually, I'll send him a slightly irate email. :D

TheDuck, Ebidis and Omar like this.

9. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I really don't know why I'm posting this, it's just my jammin' and havin' fun, It's rambling, and it's full of warts, but what the heck, it's honest. :D

fattboyzz, mjark, Omar and 1 other person like this.

10. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Thanks simon. Yep, EMGs can do the “Stratty”.
    Shhh, keep it to yourself though, as its well known that EMGs are lifeless and sterile ;)

That clean tone was my first dance with the 11R Fender Bassman sim.

Mr Moores faces though, thats way above my pay grade :p

@Ebidis - You got some Keef in those bends, and a dirty nasty tone to boot. :thumb:

Omar, Ebidis and simoncroft like this.

11. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @Ebidis 2 – Nice take. Great playin', very good tone, mondo sustain. Loved it when you put the pedal to the metal at somewhere before the 5:00 mark.

@TheDuck – That Fender Bassman sim is indeed very nice. However, if you want to use the 'Gary Moore face' in public performance, you will need an equity card.

Omar, Ebidis and TheDuck like this.

12. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    This is a little off thread topic, but I'll chip in because I've seen this issue raised over and over. Also, it's one that is more likely to concern blues and country players who tend to rely on cleaner tones. I've owned Strats loaded with EMGs, and I think there's some validity to both sides of the argument.

If you want a Strat that delivers the really authentic tones from the 1950s and 60s, the pickup designs used in those instruments do it best (to my ears). However, there is a cost when it comes to the level of electrical interference you will encounter, and the more gain you use, the more significant that becomes.

If you want a Strat that still sounds like a Strat but can deliver a clean output under almost all stage and recording conditions, regardless of gain levels, you're probably best off looking to EMG, Lace, and of course the many hum-free pickups made by Fender, as well as Seymour Duncan etc etc.​

My experience of EMGs was they delivered a really consistent, noise-free signal that was ideal for putting into a digital processing system. They are great in that signal chain, and possibly the best start to 'stadium huge' sounds.

What tends to be forgotten in these debates is: You can't have it all!

dogletnoir, TheDuck and Omar like this.

13. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Pa
    gave this one two tries back to back. once on my strat that I just recently put a set of EarCandy Supernova P-90s in, and once with trusty green. I like the take with green more I think. That guitar is just home, although im really digging the P90 sound in a strat....wish id have done that years ago. now to do some listening.

14. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    And yet another. Funny how different guitars seem to make you play differently. ;)

s5tuart, TheDuck and Omar like this.

15. pauljo1963

pauljo1963 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 30, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    ....... as per usual .......

16. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @blasphemoustrat – EarCandy: Your tone is just so bluesy, and I just love the way tone changes according to your pick attack. Very tasty blues soloing too. Trusty Green: Another great take. Imaginative runs. Interesting to compare the tone of the two, because the P90 sound almost semi-acoustic by comparison

@Ebidis 3 – I’m glad this track has inspired to revisit it. Good use of double stops and a very Minor feel to your note choices. (Shades of The Death of JB Lenoir.) That tone just cries out for enough volume to reach feedback!

@pauljo1963 – Hey, organ as well as guitar! You have a very good feel for the blues, and pace your phrases effectively. This is a very sweet-toned take too. I’m probably going to come a cropper this week, but I think that’s your Variax, but using the magnetic pickups. Whatever, it sounds very nice.

Omar and Ebidis like this.

17. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    A little bit more.

TheDuck and Omar like this.

18. pauljo1963

pauljo1963 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 30, 2010
    Melbourne Australia

19. Omar

Omar Most Inquisitive Junior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Here is my take. I’ll definitely go for another one. I hope you enjoy it :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017

20. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @mjark 2 – That's a real treat, and great to see you playing it.

@Omar – Your playing is extremely melodic on this, and you're definitely getting more confident as you put in the hours. You're also not afraid to use the whole fingerboard, which tells me you can 'see' scales all over the neck. I'm impressed by your progress, and hope you'll keep joining in. :thumb:

Omar likes this.