Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Jam #85 - MK Soft Rock

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by knh555, Apr 23, 2018.

1. roger@pennyflic

roger@pennyflic Senior Stratmaster

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    I thought I would post this track as it was eventually completed as it is pertinent to the discussion I am glad we are having.
    It has a decent back story but long story short it was put together following the death of my father in law and the falling out with my own father. It is supposed to reflect "lose".
    I shall talk more following it.

The thing for me here is - to say 3 chord songs are required for Jams doesn't really tie it down. ie. Are 2 chord songs suitable, are 1 chord songs suitable. I probably would have said it was more suitable for a challenge because it did require some thought, but out of two people, 1 thought it went nowhere and one thought it was okay. How do you reach the balance so that more people will want to participate.

For me, I have always have trouble telling the difference between a Jam and a Challenge. I put the track on, noodle around for 30 seconds and I have the key. From then on it really doesn't matter if there is 1 change or 100 (as long as there is no key changes), your just playing in A or your playing in E or your playing in C.

So if 3 chord songs (or less) do not define a Jam, what does ?

montemerrick and Alan L Cole like this.
  2. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    I'm sorry about you losses. There is no formula or rule. What you've posted is well executed but it sounds like an introduction to something that could be really great.

3. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Strat-O-Master

Jan 29, 2018
    NY
    I think it's great Roger. Dig the sax track. I'm going to take a run at it and plan on having something posted tomorrow.

4. bluestringer

bluestringer Strat-Talker

Jul 4, 2013
    South Georgia

This makes a lot of sense. And it got me thinking I may be overthinking what I'm doing. I had tried the track using the A Major pentatonic scale and to me it sounded too country or something. I should just go with the flow and forgot about the chords and changes and let it be what it is. I think I'll give it another try and post whatever comes out.

knh555 likes this.
  5. alainvey

alainvey Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Very kind. For whatever reason I found myself very frustrated with playing guitar that day. It's probably better than I felt it was, but I wasn't able to meet the particular objectives I had set for myself on that occasion.

6. Chipper

Chipper Strat-Talker

Feb 6, 2018
    Andover Massachusetts
    I had fun with this, but we were in Maine early this week and I didn't have time to post. I am still trying to work both mando and guitar into these songs. I'll get there soon. Thanks for listening

7. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

8. montemerrick

this is a jam thread. created to jam. meant to be in your comfort zone. for pushing boundaries we have the challenge thread.

here we just play... we keep it simple so any one who comes in the door is feeling alright. we can even drink beer and do bong hits if that's what floats your boat.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Mansonienne and duzie like this.
  9. montemerrick

10. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    I think I'm finished here.

11. bluestringer

Jul 4, 2013
    South Georgia

I like beer!!!

12. bluestringer

Jul 4, 2013
    South Georgia
    It is what it is.....listen at your own risk.......

13. montemerrick

i'm gonna do this one... as soon as my base camp moves from bed to the desk... but i've been playing it on my acoustic...

14. montemerrick

dude, yer doing great! sounds very nice, with good ideas. and swing by the jazz workshop thread if you want to pick up some pointers on playing the changes... look at me, worst player on the forum and i'm giving it a go!

15. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    Sorry you’ve been sick, @montemerrick and so sorry to hear that your tinnitus is worse, @simoncroft . :(

I had a noodle to this track but these days I seem to lack, well, lots of things... about all I feel up to is slow like BB King, and even then I just play same-old, same-old. So, it’s not you, it’s me.
    I wouldn’t worry too much about finding a track that pleases everyone every week. Ain't gonna happen. As I and others have said, we should try to keep the weekly jam relatively simple and straightforward, but beyond that there’s not really a formula.

montemerrick likes this.
  16. montemerrick

sorry @knh555 if it seemed i set out in this take to prove it was too complex... i mean, as we all know, i struggle with the 3 chorders... this is my first take. just hanging on for the ride... pretty track though... definitely sounds like MK. fun to play on, no matter how badly...

17. montemerrick

peaks and valleys.... that's why i hate the feeling that it's coming easy - it can only mean i'm walking downhill into a valley of despair. in any case, i also dig hearing what you play!

Mansonienne likes this.
  18. montemerrick

19. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    For reference, here's the original

Chipper and bluestringer like this.
  20. roger@pennyflic

roger@pennyflic Senior Stratmaster

Jul 4, 2013