Jamming in a band, and working shifts. Grrrr

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by SurfsUp, Sep 18, 2021.

1. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

Anyone else work shifts? They suck.

I do week about days/afternoons/nights 8hrs a day.

6:30am-2:30pm
    2:30pm-10:30pm
    10:30pm-6:30am

while I can't complain too much, as it's my career, and not just a 'job" it does make weekends "tight" and well, go by rather fast.
    The weeks I'm on afternoons, well.....can't be doing anything in the evenings. Nights, maybe but limited and TBH I'm a grizzly bear and lazy AF lol......

Days come round every 3 weeks and that's my week of normalcy, and then everyone wants a piece of me. And, I them. Light the Q! Snap a beer! Jump in the pool. And as fast as it came, it's gone again. Hermit lifestyle again.

Anyway, just venting as I've a good chance of getting together with a couple of like minded dudes but it's hard to commit to weekly practice, rehersals, ect....I can't say "Right, each Tuesday from 7-9ish" as it's not feasable.

I just wanna win the lotto and retire, lol......

Anyone else in the same boat? I can't be the only one.

Stratafied likes this.
  2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

When I was in my 20s, three shifts turn and turn about. The money was great, but the hours killed me (almost literally, I was very lucky). In the end they just couldn't pay me enough to screw my life up. I never worked shifts again.

bluejazzoid, s5tuart, Groovey and 2 others like this.
  3. Houdi Elbow

Houdi Elbow Strat-Talker

Been in exactly the same situation as you my friend. It sucks.

Groovey and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  4. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Senior Stratmaster

5. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

I would not have the stamina for that. I need a regular routine.

Stratafied likes this.
  6. arct

arct Strat-O-Master

I did that when I was young too, and it was really hard. Easiest thing I could do was to just not play, but I couldn't do that. Good luck with it, I hope you get through this time in your work life quickly.

rct

7. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Didn't do shifts but lots of evenings and weekends. Couldn't play in a band for 25 years. Did home recording to (sorta) make up for it. Don't miss that rabbit hole. Back in a pub band now that I'm retired.

SurfsUp likes this.
  8. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Most Honored Senior Member

They stuck me on a 5x8 second shift. It sucks, I'm quitting the end of October.

9. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

That sucks! So glad for my 8:00-4:30 Monday through Friday. And I’ve been working from home since March 2020. Couldn’t imagine working different shifts.

10. ripgtr

ripgtr Most Honored Senior Member

I would never work shifts.

When I quit playing full time and got a day job, as soon as I could,I went second shift. I'm a night person anyway, that was the schedule I'd been on for decades, and the work load was lighter. I liked it. But they needed people to go 3rd shift and offered more money. No way. I don't want to be driving home when the sun is coming up, just a creepy feeling. Went back to days and I am still not used to it, never will be, but with a kid and school and all that, I got to get up anyway.

Shift work, you are always on jet lag, always trying to adjust. It is a way to staff 3rd shift without paying them more, but I suspect they lose a lot more in the fact that people are always dragging and not as productive, any time. I just think it is not a great idea for most people. Certainly not for me.

11. Sixstringer107

Sixstringer107 Strat-O-Master

The Endless Mountains Of Northeastern Pa.
    I don't do shifts, but I work a rotating 2 on, 2 off, and every other weekend 7am to 7pm shift, so that limits my playing schedule. The days I'm off during the week, everybody else is working, so that's out.

12. uncle daddy

uncle daddy Strat-O-Master

I did the night shift for 10 year. It's a good way to lose all you friends.

13. SurfsUp

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one, lol.......here I go again. It's Sunday AM, but I need to start tonight at 10:30pm. So, eventually, after dinner I'll try to get a nap in. Good news is I'm off next Friday and weekend, not going back in until Monday afternoon now and I'm camping that weekend. Should be fun.

Gahhhhhh

14. Jeepocaster

Jeepocaster Senior Stratmaster

I’m 59. Semi retiring in a few weeks. Gonna work 20-24 hours a week Can’t wait! Got the band back together and we are getting up to speed I’ll be off all weekends and every Wednesday. Days that I work I’ll be done at 1:30. This is my time!

SurfsUp likes this.
  15. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-O-Master

A guitar player friend of mine asked me to ride out to a packing plant with him while he applied for a job. (I had a steady band gig) When he applying he said "why don't you apply to see what you can get". So I did even though I didn't want to work there. Due to my electronic experience I got the job of computer scale tech.

He got a beef lugger job.

Within two weeks he quit.

I was working swing shifts but the money was good. However the swings kept me from gigging. Then I found out later that he took the lead guitar job with the band I was in and here I was stuck at a stinking packing plant. A standing there scratching my head WTF moment.

Later I tested for a sup job and was promised I would get it so I would no longer need to work shifts. After a couple of months I asked when am I going to get that sup job? They said as soon as the new addition is in operation. I asked how long that would be and they said in a year or so.

I quit and went back to gigging.

Swing shifts suck.

SurfsUp likes this.
  16. SurfsUp

Congrats man!!! I'm 48 and while I've a few years to go I simply cannot wait to push that 'retirement' button!!!

Enjoy!

17. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

I did shift work when I was younger. Even as a young man, it tore me up physically.
    I never say never, but shiz would have to be pretty dire for me to do that again.

18. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

10p to 630a for 12 years. I still can't sleep right.

19. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

I worked for a very large soft drink maker (Many many moons ago).

My "shift" was 7pm to 7:30am. Monday through Saturday.
    Non stop.
    I literally had just enough time in a day to go home, eat breakfast, take a shower and sleep for 6 hours.
    Then back to work.

Oh the money? Well it was pretty fantastic, or it would have been, if the government didn't take most of it.
    At the time, I was single with no dependents. The IRS was not kind to me.
    There was a mathematical point during my work week, that after taxes, my overtime pay was less than my hourly rate.
    So I was literally working, for uncle sam.
    And the overtime was not voluntary.
    It was.... what's that word I hate?.... oh yeah... mandatory.

SurfsUp likes this.
  20. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Strat-O-Master

I used to work for a bottle making plant, 2 liter plastic mold injection, noisy as hell. 12 hour shifts two on, two off. You were allowed to work a third day but had to take the 4th day off. 7 PM to 7AM. The hardcore would drink beer after work, uh ... no thanks. I worked this for 2 summers, saved for school and an apartment, pizza delivery job nights while at school. Lost the tip of my left middle finger in a box folding machine that almost took all my fingers at the palm but for my fast reflexes.