JC era Les Paul standard review

rocknrollrich

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 8, 2016
philadelphia
I recently picked up a new Lp standard and I thought I would share my thoughts.
For some background, i have owned a few over the years, from different Gibson era/ownership.
This one stacks up really well among the best I've had. The neck set angle is dead on. The action (after a few minor adjustments) is about 1mm on the bass side, and slightly lower on the treble side. Still plenty of adjustment available up or down. I've had Lps that would have bottomed out the bridge with that action.
The fretboard binding has returned to the thinner type. I had a 90s les Paul and and 2ks les Paul wherr the binding nibs were much thicker. The high E string would get caught between the gap of the fret and the nib. Incredibly annoying when you go to play that superhero guitar solo, and all you get is plink plink...

This binding is thin, and the nibs are small. So the fret goes nearly to the edge of the fretboard. Plenty of real estate to play on.
Speaking of binding, there isn't any bleed from the stain on this.
I guess they are using something different? idk.

The fretboard is fairly uniform in color (dark rosewood) and the grain is pretty tight. I'm not sure, but it looks like it was buffed.
The tooling marks that I typically see on the fretboard/binding are non existent. Very well done gibson.
The nut is cut properly, so I'm actually kinda stunned by that.

The top is AA grade. Eh... it looks rather plain with a little bit of flame. That is actually very okay with me. I really like an understated top, other folks might like a little more flame.
Don't get me wrong, it's still very nice looking, it's just not super quilt-y or flame-y.

The hardware is pro. The pickups are 61 burstbuckers. They're pretty good so far.

The finish is very nice. Clear and deep looking. A little bit of buffing wheel ghosts, but no orange peel, and the lacquer is not globbed on like it used be in years past. It's damn near perfect.

Overall I think it's a good time for build quality in this new JC era of ownership. I have a norlin era guitar that I love, but I think it may be an anomaly.
I have a reissue gold top from the Henry J era, and it's very nice, but I have owned a few turkeys from that era as well.

Overall I am very satisfied with it. 20220623_231527.jpg 20220623_231120.jpg 20220623_231143.jpg

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
Thank you for the detailed review of your new LP. Good to hear the quality is everything you expected. I really like the understated flame, but I understand why you might feel the AA rating was somewhat overstated. Congratulations on buying such a superb guitar!

Nate D

Apr 2, 2016
Philly, PA
I recently picked up a new Lp standard and I thought I would share my thoughts.
For some background, i have owned a few over the years, from different Gibson era/ownership.
This one stacks up really well among the best I've had. The neck set angle is dead on. The action (after a few minor adjustments) is about 1mm on the bass side, and slightly lower on the treble side. Still plenty of adjustment available up or down. I've had Lps that would have bottomed out the bridge with that action.
The fretboard binding has returned to the thinner type. I had a 90s les Paul and and 2ks les Paul wherr the binding nibs were much thicker. The high E string would get caught between the gap of the fret and the nib. Incredibly annoying when you go to play that superhero guitar solo, and all you get is plink plink...

This binding is thin, and the nibs are small. So the fret goes nearly to the edge of the fretboard. Plenty of real estate to play on.
Speaking of binding, there isn't any bleed from the stain on this.
I guess they are using something different? idk.

The fretboard is fairly uniform in color (dark rosewood) and the grain is pretty tight. I'm not sure, but it looks like it was buffed.
The tooling marks that I typically see on the fretboard/binding are non existent. Very well done gibson.
The nut is cut properly, so I'm actually kinda stunned by that.

The top is AA grade. Eh... it looks rather plain with a little bit of flame. That is actually very okay with me. I really like an understated top, other folks might like a little more flame.
Don't get me wrong, it's still very nice looking, it's just not super quilt-y or flame-y.

The hardware is pro. The pickups are 61 burstbuckers. They're pretty good so far.

The finish is very nice. Clear and deep looking. A little bit of buffing wheel ghosts, but no orange peel, and the lacquer is not globbed on like it used be in years past. It's damn near perfect.

Overall I think it's a good time for build quality in this new JC era of ownership. I have a norlin era guitar that I love, but I think it may be an anomaly.
I have a reissue gold top from the Henry J era, and it's very nice, but I have owned a few turkeys from that era as well.

Overall I am very satisfied with it. View attachment 572783 View attachment 572784 View attachment 572785
Ooohhh that’s good looking. I love the plain top- that’s my favorite.

rocknrollrich

Jan 8, 2016
philadelphia
Looks great! What is JC?
James curleigh(? Spelling?) is the new president of Gibson.
I think it was around 2018 or 19 that Henry J.....(I have no idea how to spell his last name) was the owner/president before that.
People say (and I completely agree) that the quality and design have gone up and down during the different leadership over the years.
Much like the cbs era of fender etc.
The new management at Gibson seems to be doing a good job (at least from the small sample size I have been able to play).