Jensen C12n speakers

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Driftwood, Jun 9, 2021.

1. DeMelo

DeMelo Senior Stratmaster

Seriously, no offense meant before or now. You see, jensens are a typical fertile field for the “only vintage is good” folks, many of which are indeed trolls or just clueless.

Modern Italian jensens are not the same as the old American ones but they are far from ‘bad’.

The bad thing about Internet is that anyone can broadcast information and thus we get thousands of reviews based on how this or that piece of gear sounds, regardless of the skill of the user or how the general setup was made.

Me, I’ve never seen a real bad C12N regardless of where or when it was made.

I apologize if I replied a little harshly but I did confuse your post with the tons of crap we get daily from people who don’t really know what they’re doing or just want to draw attention to themselves...

Peace, and if I were you, I’d take my time and explore your speaker a bit more

drp146, fattboyzz and Driftwood like this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Strat-Talker

I liked greenbacks when I was using a 100 watt Plexi. I didn't respect these Celestions in a Twin at first, and planned on replacing them thinking what business an english speaker has in an American amp. Yeah kind of dumb thinking but whatever. A buddy of mine played the amp one night and sounded good and remarked he thought it sounded real good too so I left it alone. I kind of like the 100 watt handling Celestions. They have taken all the abuse I have thrown at them to the tune of about 300 gigs and just keep on trucking.

The-Kid and heltershelton like this.
  3. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Try input 2 on the same channel. Huge difference in amp performance with humbuckers in that channel. That input is made for active or higher output pickups. Humbuckers in input 1 just breaks up way too quick and doesn’t sound good.

4. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris Silver Member

i wonder if youve got the g12t's or g12k's.
    the t's look like 70/80s and the k's look like regular speakers but with bigass magnets.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Strat-Talker

Low volume and run clean it sounds passable. Crank the amp and it falls on it's face. It's in there until I get something else then I'll probably gift it to someone who needs a speaker like I did with the other one. I have spent many hours now with it and it just doesn't cut it for anything more than home practice.

??? I wouldn't say breakup happens very fast in input 1. It's screaming pretty good by the time I get real amounts of gain.

It's the K, I checked. But mine are older and marked made in England and are def the 100 watt model. Some country dude working at a music shop sold me it and they were in there. I thought "cheap price, cheap speakers" but after many gigs I'm satisfied. I've never even heard them flub or anything even at top volume. I have a few outdoor shows this weekend so I hope they keep holding together. You hear me, "hold together baby". LOL

fattboyzz and heltershelton like this.
  6. heltershelton

you might want to hold on to those speakers.
    from what i understand, the 100 watt g12k was only made in england for a short time before they started making them in china.
    before that they made the i guess 85 watt ones in england.
    so you may have some pretty rare speakers.

drp146 and Driftwood like this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Strat-Talker

Unless they blow up or I spring for about six hundred bucks worth of JBL re-cone work I won't be pulling them out anytime soon. Wonder how they stack up to the china version? I had English greenbacks which were a touch brighter than the chinese model but overall I could've given a rip, just a wrench for turning a bolt to me. I suck at collecting stuff cause I'm hard on my gear.

Honestly I would like to try about a dozen different speakers in there just to see what comes of the tone. Some Neos for the weight, some weber cali's maybe. Some jupiters. Maybe some hemp cone whatevers. $$$$$$$

8. Intune

All I’m saying is my R8 sounds like garbage in a stock twin reverb using input 1 cranked. In input 2 it was a whole different amp and sounds really good with higher output pickups. Input 2 with single coils sounds weak. That’s the whole purpose of the 2 inputs.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  9. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

a lot of horrible sounding iconic amps with iconic speakers sound bad because of a bad tube or other out of spec component/adjustment.

drp146, DeMelo and Intune like this.
  10. heltershelton

i don't know....i have a chinese 25w greenback in an ac4c112 and it sounds great. i know alot of crap comes out of china, but so does alot of really good stuff.
    my ac30cc2x is a killer amp and ive had it for like 11 years with no problems except for the standby thing.

11. jbylake

jbylake Fabulously Famous Nobody Silver Member

Same here with C12N's. I like them, and that's all that matters to me:D I have one in a cab, and usually play a THD, Orange and sometimes a Supro head with it.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    DeMelo, fattboyzz and Driftwood like this.
  12. Intune

I have them in my 63 bandmaster piggy back 2x12 cabinet. My speaker hunt was over after installing those.

13. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

Beats a 7080 ;)

Gave the 7080 over a hundred hours an it was still just ok.

Friend took the C12N from a Fender DR . Put in a Swamp Thang. I got the Jensen for my MP15. Very happy with these tones ;)

drp146 likes this.
  14. DeMelo

DeMelo Senior Stratmaster

I use mine for live playing, and they sound awesome and Fenderish. All my amps now have C12Ns, after years of using everything else...

That. And each speaker has its own character, you can’t just switch to a different speaker, keep your rig and settings exactly as they were, and expect only a tone improvement.

drp146 and henderman like this.
  15. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I put a C12N into a Blues Jr. and it sounded GREAT. You might have got a "lemon" or just not suited to the amp/cabinet.

16. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-O-Master

Recently acquired a set of P12N's in a twin. They were as good as anything I've heard. Nothing spectacular. Nothing stand out awful either. Bleh. I guess we're spoilt these days. Not a fan at all of the Italian reissue ceramics though.
    I still think the best speaker combo for a twin reverb is Eminence Texas Heat (x2).
    Absolutely gorgeous sound.

If you have a variac I can recommend this advice (originally from Scumback):

8 Ohms 30 Watts 8.9 Volts
    8 Ohms 65 Watts 13.165 Volts
    8 Ohms 100 Watts 16.325 Volts
    16 Ohms 30 Watts 12.64 Volts
    16 Ohms 65 Watts 18.61 Volts
    16 Ohms 100 Watts 23.094 Volts

Light = 2 to 3 hours

Medium = 8-10 hours

Full = 18-20 hours

Huge difference. Especially in the Jensens.

PS: A 335 in to a twin is pretty much perfection. Not gonna lie.

Intune likes this.
  17. Intune

I love the twin reverb but I find the 65 reissue great but the original end even silverface ones I find just sound incredible.

It’s also real hard to judge on the internet someone’s opinion on how a amp or speakers sound. The OP says they are horrible but what room, what settings, mismatched speakers, how healthy is the amp, 45-50 watt speakers in a 85 watt amp, etc.

drp146 and BlurgyWurgyWibble like this.
  18. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-O-Master

Carbon composite resistors and that old iron. Most of the magic is in the transformers for sure imho.

Indeed. I never found matching a bright amp with bright high sensitivity speakers worked really well ..
    Probably why so many dislike the ceramic Jensen RI's. Got to remember most "vintage" speakers were much less efficient.

drp146 and Intune like this.
  19. Driftwood

Driftwood Strat-Talker

Maybe but I doubt it. It sounds fine low volume and clean. I just replaced a bad preamp tube but that's par for the course in a heavily gigged combo. I had the celestions in there before but swapped 'em back into the other Twin because I had gigs and limited time to troubleshoot a bad preamp tube.

I had both amps in the same room so it's ain't the room. Treble 10 volume 10 mid 1 bass 1

It sounded better when I first got it and had both Jensens in there but they were still kind of anemic. Maybe it's just the inefficiency and low power handling. I just don't think they are a very good speaker in a Twin.

Agreed!

20. bmikultyak

bmikultyak Strat-Talk Member

I agree, I have an original 1972 pair of Vibrantos (LMI125/EM1250) like new and they do tend to be "ice picky" but efficient. I had a pair of Mods (Italian) and they sounded good but not harsh or as efficient. Maybe he got the wrong set from Italy, there are several.

Attached Files:

Intune likes this.