Jensen C12n speakers

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Driftwood, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Volume and treble at 10, bass and mid at 1, that setting is not for everyone. I set my silverface bassman and 63 bandmaster with 2x12 cabinet just to see and it sounded bad. Both amps sound incredible so it’s again all personal preference. I set all my amps pretty much flat and use the guitar as the eq.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Strat-Talker

It's for a humbucking Gibson not a strat, so there is that. Bass beyond 2 flubs. Too many mids and it's muddy. Works good for a 57 classic in the neck with the guitar set somewhere between 4 and 8 on the knob. Gain to taste. But yeah it definitely ain't for everyone and I would set a strat radically different in a Twin.

As for the 2x12... A closed back Fender cab? I've had one of those cabs and it is a totally different world than an open back Twin combo for certain.

3. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

i set my controls at 6, 6, and 6.

Willmunny, The-Kid and Driftwood like this.
  4. Intune

Number of the he beast!! Yes that’s why I said it’s impossible to give any real input or review of any type of a sound over the internet. It’s all a matter of what you want the sound to be.

@Driftwood try those settings but in the 2nd input and add in some bass/mids I bet you a you’ll get a way better tone and way more clean headroom before the flubby noise starts to happen. Yes closed back vs open back does sound different but my R8 in any of my amps in input one at any decent volume sounds bad or flubby

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Strat-Talker

Way more clean headroom and better tone? You realize in input 1 vibrato channel with the settings I listed i have huge headroom and have to tear some heads off in the front row with volume to get the gain level I like? More bass would just bury me in the band mix so I feel like your suggestions are way off base. No offense intended. These are tried and true settings for a Gibson into a Twin in a blues environment ala Freddie and BB King. BB ran about 3 on the mid and 2 on the bass though.

Regardless, since it don't cost me nothing to try when the old lady clears out of the house later I'll give it a shot.

A knowledgeable guy told me this was the flat EQ setting on Fender BF style amps. Higher setting is boosted frequencies, lower is an EQ cut. When I ran a strat into it my settings were around there.

heltershelton likes this.
  6. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

"Your Mom's"
    Really?

Meghans Dad and Driftwood like this.
  7. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

This is one of the best things you can do to a Fender Amp sometimes to invite more mids, relaxed highs, warmer tones etc etc etc.

Just put a Celestion in it.

I do plug in a Greenback extension cab into my Fender Amp but to be honest nothing sounds more classic Fender to me than my Princeton through the Jenson P12Q.

Like its super trebly like a lot of Jensons but the Alinico adds a lot of warmth and mids to balance it out a bit. Jensons are not always the best choice for every tone or application but to me nothing sounds more Fender than a proper Jenson into a solid Fender amp.

But yeah that Greenback gets a lot of play through the same Princeton as well....so lol

Driftwood likes this.
  8. Intune

Ok you seem to have it down. I really can’t explain what I mean over the internet. You just have some garbage speakers then.

Driftwood likes this.
  9. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

This works for real.

Running at 666. I know it sounds funny but this actually works. Obviously a lot Fenders don't have mid knobs but if all you have is treble and bass then 66 but yeah....

666. It just works for a balanced tone.

Obviously mess with setting for different tones but its a good reference to get the most balanced tone out of guitar and amp I feel.

Meghans Dad and Intune like this.
  10. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I’ve owned vintage C12N’s that are maybe my favorite American voiced speaker. I’ve also owned reissued C12N’s that sounded good.

Maybe the OP’s speakers are defective.

fattboyzz likes this.
  11. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

volume, treble, bass all at 6.
    but yeah ill turn the volume down to whatever.

The-Kid likes this.
  12. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

I like 777 better . Volume 4 ;)

The-Kid likes this.
  13. Driftwood

Driftwood Strat-Talker

I won't.

I've contemplated having my tech bypass the volume altogether next time he services the amp. LOL

fattboyzz and heltershelton like this.
  14. green95gt

green95gt Strat-Talk Member

I have a 90s brown label Fender Special Design Eminence 12 inch speaker that is well broken in. I thought the same as you, so I swapped it out for a C12K. Turns out the old brown label sounds pretty good by comparison. In fact, if you read the tone profile for a C12N on Jensen's website that is exactly how I would describe the brown label. So it turns out that Fender wanted a C12N clone manufactured by Eminence back in the day. Now, I want to bring that brown label back together with the C12K, in a 2x12 deal, to get some high end chime back.

The C12Q seems to be a good mix between the C12N and C12K, although at 35W of power handling. Those are fantastic sounding speakers so you might wanna give that a try if you can.

The C12K has much more controlled bass but with a lot less high end sparkle and chime.

Make sure to bias the power tubes properly. If they are set to less than say 60% of max dissipation your amp will start to sound lifeless with a definite loss of punch, volume, and high end sparkle/chime. The amps circuit may also be not beneficial to your ears. Or, some caps/resistors may have perished. I know this was the case with my amp. So don't expect a new speaker to be a cure all if the circuit is not up to snuff.

Driftwood likes this.
  15. jackietreehorn

jackietreehorn Strat-Talk Member

Reissue Jensens are built identically to vintage ones - there is a pretty good you tube video about how they did it.

However, unlike a Weber or another boutique guitar speaker, they’re not broken in, and pretty much all guitar speakers sound like hot garbage when they’re that stiff. Once they’re broken in, it’s that classic blackface tone.

I honestly love threads like this, because whenever I want an classic “American” sounding 12 inch speaker, I can hop on reverb and get one of these for $30, because people get an amp with one and immediately pull it because it’s stiff and instead of breaking it in and giving it a shot, they read a message board and replace it.

fattboyzz, The-Kid and Intune like this.
  16. jackietreehorn

jackietreehorn Strat-Talk Member

With all that said, I have a JBL K120 in a twin, and that sounds pretty amazing g.

Driftwood likes this.
  17. Intune

Yes this is very true. Unless the new amp or speakers were a demo model they will be really stiff. Crank the bass and volume, get some power chords going for a good month before you really hear what the speakers can do. Just have to get them broken in.

I reconed my buddies vintage jbl D130’s. They sound even better now after about 2 months. 4831068E-09EA-4752-ABB7-EC5E28696403.jpeg 40E5E7C8-0A3A-4CBB-AC37-65C4D04A6CC4.jpeg 1527DC8B-732E-4607-861E-BB57E65E7AEC.jpeg 15A58C2F-3C46-4D00-AF9F-E46335A0FAEE.jpeg

fattboyzz, Driftwood and The-Kid like this.
  18. Driftwood

Driftwood Strat-Talker

I thought about it and the Twin is probably overpowering the Jensen (not enough power handling) and so it sounds bad as it noses over. I had a Fender 2x12 cabinet loaded with some Utah's that would do the same thing when I put the Marshall too them. Sounded like butt too. I just don't think they are a good Twin reverb speaker. Not efficient or high enough power handling.

19. SeventySevenStrat

SeventySevenStrat Strat-Talk Member

I couldn't agree with you more, they sound phenomenal clean, but they sound like arse when heavily distorted. I put a couple in a 2x12 cab and I honestly thought my amp was broke, the gain channel sounded like a fizzy mess, turn the gain down, hmm, sounds okay, gain up, total arse! I don't think they were designed with chugging in mind. I'm sticking with green backs from here on out.

Driftwood likes this.
  20. Intune

A lot of people that give bad reviews of speakers usually don’t have them setup right. Pairing speakers with 50watt ratting to amps ratted at 100watt or even these in a twin at 85watts. What do you expect?

They’ll work but they’re being pushed beyond their limits. You can run these properly heavily distorted no problem in a proper amp. A pair of these matched to a jcm900, good luck.