JHS Little Black Amp Box: Anyone Tried One? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by lbpesq, Aug 21, 2021.

1. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-O-Master

Like the title says, anyone tried the JHS Little Black Amp Box? It’s a passive attenuator that sits in the effects loop. Looks interesting.

Bill, tgo

Dr Improbable likes this.
  2. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Posy rules!

I have not tried that one but I made one, which it is not really an attenuator per say it acts more like a master volume. Some folks love them.

StratUp likes this.
  3. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Custom Title Silver Member

Same as adding a boost pedal to your fx loop, afaik. As The Strat Dude said, it basically just adds a master volume.

When I put my EHX LPB1 in the FX loop, I was able to do things with it that I wasn't able to do without it. It basically acted as a passive attenuator, for lack of a better description. I could crank the gain & master vol on the amp, then turn down the LPB1 but still keep all of the gain. It's hard for me to explain and I could be mistaken. I only tried it once and it was only for a few minutes so I could have forgotten something or could be recalling incorrectly.

4. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Strat-O-Master

I use one on my Marshall dsl20c. Works great. Cranked Marshall crunch at whisper volumes.

5. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Silver Member

I’m currently using one in my SC20H’s loop and it works great. Before this I tried a Bugera PS1 attenuator to knock the volume down but much preferred the LBAB as far as retaining the tone.

6. Deniemeyer

Deniemeyer Strat-Talk Member

I use one in the loop of my Peavey Classic 30. Works great if you want to play at lower volume, but still drive the thing. I’m sure you can build one cheaper, but hey it’s in a nice package and it works. If you have a eq pedal, you might try sticking it in the effects loop and use the level control to do the same thing.

Dr Improbable and StratUp like this.
  7. Colnago1

Colnago1 Senior Stratmaster

I use a homemade one in the effects loop of my Blues Deluxe. Without it I wouldn’t be able to use the amp at home as it is extremely loud at anything past on.

8. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

What's inside it? A 1 meg pot?

9. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

I used one with my Friedman JJ Jr and it worked great for playing in the apt. That amp was loud and the FX loop needed volume to push reverbs. Mr Friedman himself recommended it to me.

10. kchurch

kchurch Senior Stratmaster

I have one, I use it to tame and get a more useable volume control for my Hot Rod Deluxe. It works fine. Its not technically an attenuator, but it does allow you to get the tubes into the sweet spot but dial back the volume to more home friendly levels. I do have it in the effects loop.