Jimi Hendrix‘s Hussar Jacket

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by gretev, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

coolest guy to ever walk the Earth imo

2. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V

EJ is sporting a marching band jacket there though, not an actual military uniform (please don't ask me how i know that, LOL).
    There was a period where he did that a lot, possibly as a tribute to Jimi's look while avoiding the military connotations and possible complications.

3. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo

He actually gave it to goodwill years ago :eek:

4. hecubus

hecubus Strat-Talker

No disrespect intended, but for over 30 years I have assumed Jimi's and Eric's jackets were from old marching band uniforms. Learn something new every day.

Skrofhyrguitarism likes this.
  5. Skrofhyrguitarism

Skrofhyrguitarism Strat-Talker

Forgive the length, but here is a portion of an interview in which Hendrix tells the story. The source is listed.

The Day They Stopped and Frisked Jimi Hendrix
    BY JIMI HENDRIX ON 1/13/14 AT 5:48 PM EST NEWSWEEK
    Jimi Hendrix
    Trouble often sought out the tall, Afro-haired American guitar hero in Swinging Sixties’ London
    GETTY/ED CARAEFF
    CULTURE MUSIC AUTOBIOGRAPHY DRUG OVERDOSE BOOK EXCERPT
    The life of Jimi Hendrix, the American guitar hero who lived in London during the Swinging Sixties, was brief. After failing to leave much of a mark in America, playing in sessions with Little Richard and the Isley Brothers, he founded his own band, The Experience, in Britain and in three albums laid down an indelible musical legacy, including his epic take on Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower."

In a new collection of Hendrix reminiscences, the guitarist looks back to the high days of the Sixties, when wearing military dress uniforms was the fashion and when the mere appearance of a colorfully draped tall Afro-haired American drew automatic attention from the British police.

People ask me whether I dress and do my hair like this just for effect, but it's not true. This is me. I don't like to be misunderstood by anything or anybody, so if I want to wear a red bandanna and turquoise slacks and if I want hair down to my ankles, well, that's me.

All those photographs you might have seen of me in a tuxedo and a bow tie playing in Wilson Pickett's backing group were me when I was shy, scared and afraid to be myself. I had my hair slicked back and my mind combed out.

The jacket I'm wearing now is Royal Army Veterinary Corps, 1898 I believe. Very good year for uniforms. The other night I was about half a block away from the Cromwellian Club, wearing this gear. Up comes this wagon with a blue light flashing, and about five or six policemen jump out at me.

They look into my face real close and severe. Then one of them points to my jacket and says, "That's British, isn't it?" So I said, "Yeah, I think it is." And they frowned and all that bit, and they said, "You're not supposed to be wearing that. Men fought and died in that uniform." The guy's eyes were so bad he couldn't read the little print on the badges.

So I said, "What, in the Veterinary Corps? Anyway, I like uniforms. I wore one long enough in the United States Army." They said, "What? You trying to get smart with us? Show us your passport." So we did all that bit too. I had to convince them that my accent was really American. Then they asked me what group I was with, and I said the Experience. So they made fun of that as well and made cracks about roving minstrels.

After they made a few more funnies and when they'd finally got their kicks, they said they didn't want to see me with the gear on anymore, and they let me go. Just as I was walking away one of them said, "Hey, you said you're with the Experience. What are you experiencing?" I said, "Harassment" and took off as quick as I could

6. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

White collar conservative flashing down the street . . .

7. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

Hahahahahahahahaha

8. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

Cool...

9. BigNorm

BigNorm Senior Stratmaster

sorry double post

10. BigNorm

BigNorm Senior Stratmaster

upload_2020-10-14_11-39-9.png Wearing uniform was cool in the 60's

Neil.C, crawdaddy and Guy Named Sue like this.
  11. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

I read that too and it stuck in my mind...at that time of music, man...we'll never know.

Skrofhyrguitarism likes this.
  12. gretev

gretev Strat-O-Master

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

13. Skrofhyrguitarism

Pointing his plastic finger at me...go on Mr Businessman...you can't dress like me...

14. Skrofhyrguitarism

In the grand scheme of things, he released three albums. It was only the tip of the ice berg...tragic.

Nick-O likes this.
  15. Skrofhyrguitarism

"I'm the one that has to die when its time for me to die, so let me live my life..the way I want to"... Jimi Hendrix

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  16. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

Here's what the Veterinary Corps wore, this one is from WWI:
    [​IMG]
    The only thing Jimi's jacket was missing was the shoulder pieces
    71.jpg

17. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V

A/K/A 'epaulets' or 'epaulettes' (if fringed) or a 'shoulder board' (if without the fringes) in fashionspeak.

18. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

19. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

Just not those....I think that pic is the ....."This is your brain on drugs" side of the commercial.....:):)...

I did have a great Pea coat that my uncle gave me (in about '66) from the Korean war....wore it until it was threadbare sometime into the 80's....I remember asking him about the guy whose name was on the inside of the coat.....all my uncle said was.....He didn't need it anymore.....hmmmmm....

BigNorm likes this.
  20. Lovnmesomestrat

Lovnmesomestrat Senior Stratmaster