Jimi Hendrix signature models

Red Bread

Strat-O-Master
Feb 1, 2019
Green mountains
Ok so im on a Hendrix kick lately
Besides the current,sunburst an White MIM sig models what other are there thru the years
Monterrey?
Etc
Etc
Dont ask me why i gota have one but for some reason(never owning a sig model anything)thats what im hunting for
And im willing to put up a killer of a guitar to obtain one,,,so i wanta do it right
Whats out there??

Paulreedsmith

Strat-Talker
Apr 7, 2018
Stockholm
I´v got 2 of the Hendrix modells.
zcLOxxK.jpg

SpeedKing

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 9, 2015
UK
There's always the Custom Shop Hendrix '68/'69 (can't remember what year Jimi's was) in white with the maple cap neck produced in a limited quantity a few years back.

Only issue is I think you'll need about £6000 - £7000 to buy one nowadays if you can actually find one. Of course you could always just get a new Custom Shop '69 in white with a maple board and reverse the nut yourself and save about £3000 - £4000. As far as I know the reversed nut is the only difference to the standard CS.... oh and the single string tree being positioned really close to the nut as was the case on Jimi's but to me they seem like exceptionally expensive details at £3-£4k above the standard CS'69.

I'm a Blackmore fan and have similar feelings about the 'Blackmore' '68 maple cap produced nearly a decade or so back. As far as I could make out then it's likewise a bog standard CS '69 just with a fatter trem arm and a price tag over double the 'standard' CS'69.

Last edited:

TimJ

Strat-O-Master
Aug 5, 2012
London
fender-b-stock-fender-jimi-hendrix-stratocaster-ultra-violet__21656.1602286414.jpg

I have the MIM one also, but the reasonably ridiculous Ultra Violet version.

I love it because it looks so gaudy, and the fact that Hendrix never played a garish purple guitar makes it seem less like a signature instrument…which I kind of like.

Red Bread

Strat-O-Master
Feb 1, 2019
Green mountains
Wasnt there a Japanese sig while back?
Its just stuck in my head,,i can picture a reverse headstock maple board blue thin neck Strat
And i know theres custom shops,but really if i was going custom shop it would ne a sig model,,,unless i could afford or find a Gary Moore
Now i did some things in my youth that could explain things that don’t exist,,and id rather start a thread then google

Last edited:

Electgumbo

Not Of This Earth
Dec 26, 2010
Scott, La.
Well … I had a 2015 MIM Jimi Hendrix for a few years. It was alright. But I found I seldom actually played it and traded it away a few months ago.

Due to hard times on the Bayou I wasn’t able to get a Monterey when they were available but I did manage to get a Fender Monterey body and built my own. It has a Warmoth neck I had laying around and has gone thru a few sets of pickups. At the moment has @grumpah pickups in it.

And last but not least is the 97’ Woodstock/Tribute/Mirror Strat…. It’s basically a left handed AVRI of a 68’ Strat. Maple cap and these are the guitars the CS-69 pickups were designed for. It produces the most Jimi correct tone. It even sounds right when it slips out of tune. It has that Woodstock/BOG sound. Now it’s a booger bear to play and get used to. The knobs, switch and tremolo is all in your way… and you can’t get to the high notes easily. But if you can get around all that well then your on your way to Electric Ladyland… I bought this one new in 97’. They sorta of rare cause most people didn’t like them cause they are so hard to play. 751A551C-45A2-44E8-BD10-049DDC753C97.jpeg
The 3 Amigos
5E4D178E-314D-4E4E-AF1C-58651C72EEC0.jpeg 2C7F03E3-48DC-42B7-A295-94A871AE59ED.jpeg
My Monterey Partscaster

4451CA1B-9F93-4FFF-9386-ADD540232AFF.jpeg 8C55E6C0-C24F-46A4-9D23-C4880C8F32AA.jpeg
The 97’ Woodstock

That all I got… sometimes I can get a good sound out of them…

Nate D

Dr. Stratster
Apr 2, 2016
Philly, PA
Well … I had a 2015 MIM Jimi Hendrix for a few years. It was alright. But I found I seldom actually played it and traded it away a few months ago.

Due to hard times on the Bayou I wasn’t able to get a Monterey when they were available but I did manage to get a Fender Monterey body and built my own. It has a Warmoth neck I had laying around and has gone thru a few sets of pickups. At the moment has @grumpah pickups in it.

And last but not least is the 97’ Woodstock/Tribute/Mirror Strat…. It’s basically a left handed AVRI of a 68’ Strat. Maple cap and these are the guitars the CS-69 pickups were designed for. It produces the most Jimi correct tone. It even sounds right when it slips out of tune. It has that Woodstock/BOG sound. Now it’s a booger bear to play and get used to. The knobs, switch and tremolo is all in your way… and you can’t get to the high notes easily. But if you can get around all that well then your on your way to Electric Ladyland… I bought this one new in 97’. They sorta of rare cause most people didn’t like them cause they are so hard to play. View attachment 594538
The 3 Amigos
View attachment 594541 View attachment 594542
My Monterey Partscaster

View attachment 594540 View attachment 594539
The 97’ Woodstock

That all I got… sometimes I can get a good sound out of them…

Smoked it here Norm! I knew I’d find you in this thread. :)

jvin248

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 10, 2014
Michigan

I'm not suggesting any specific model, but the features you want to consider:

Reverse headstock changes which strings get more/less sustain. Longer strings stretch more and thus work back and forth on the nut friction. Use dry graphite powder not grease that collects grit and increases friction. Hendrix got more sustain from his high strings.

Reverse slotted bridge pickup pickguard. Dramatically changes pickup tones, more mids in low strings, less ice pick in highs. Get any HSS Strat and a reverse slotted pickguard and you're set.

Volume knob moved to first tone knob hole and use second tone pot as master tone. If you watch videos of Hendrix playing, you'll see he picks through the whole region most Strat players avoid because they hit the volume knob. Hendrix got all the tones that way. EVH moved his Frankenstrat volume knob further away from the strings to get more tones. Both Hendrix and EVH did the volume swells that Strat players whine they need a close volume knob for.

A Fuzz Face pedal where you roll the guitar volume down to clean up. Can be any FF clone too. I use a big muff pi clone rolled back.

Red Bread

Strat-O-Master
Feb 1, 2019
Green mountains
Oh i know how to get the tone,,thats not the issue
Just looking for the look at the moment,,,,i have few different Strats(its a sickness really)
As much as id love a SRV sig i gave up on chunky necks years ago
I have this mint Charvel just sitting in the case and im think of find a swap,hence the hendrix thread