Jimi Hendrix's 1966 Lake Placid Blue Stratocaster !?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Gypsy Eyes, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Gypsy Eyes

Gypsy Eyes Strat-O-Master

Hello all,

I have noticed either a mistake or rare photo! I was bought the new Hendrix album "Valleys of Neptune" and was intrigued by the decent photos in the booklet, I came across a photo of Jimi, stood at a mic. with a rosewood fretboard strat with a shiny blue finish on the body...
    I swore I had seen this photo before in two tone. I turned over the CD case like any ambitious pre-teenager flipping over the case of an appealing XBox or Playstation game, and saw that similar photo. The photo was indeed in two tone (not actually black and white) of Jimi wearing the same shirt with the same strat and a guitar with the near enough same neck but the body definitely looks white. I know that Jimi Hendrix owned a 1966/1967 Stratocaster that was white with a rosewood fretboard and the Larger style headstock that Jimi would have on his strats, toward the end of his life. The photo's are slightly different as Jimi has his hands and face in slightly different places, compared. I've seen a photo of Jimi at Stockholm in 1967 on Wiki, leaning back with what seems to be a light coloured blue strat body in the black and white photo, it is the same model strat and has the same neck.
    I do know that any one of the photos could be edited, if so they are flawless.

Here are all three photo's:

The Booklet Photo:
    [​IMG]

The Rear cover of the CD Case:
    [​IMG]

The Wiki photo, at Stockholm '67:
    [​IMG]

Tell me what you think, and if anyone has any information about any blue strat the he owned, much would be appreciated if you shared :)

Thankyou

2. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

Those are real photos. The guitar could also be inca silver, but could be lake placid blue. The reason I think it's inca silver is because he played one at the Singer Bowl in 68. The color of the first photo is a little purplish, and dark so I think it's possible it's the same one he used at the Singer Bowl. BTW, what do you think of the CD?

3. Gypsy Eyes

Hey, I just realised i friend requested you earlier!
    Yeah, the CD is great! I got it fro my birthday along with the fan pack with the paris and ottawa CD and LP Vynl. They are both great, getting back to the point, I really like Valleys of Neptune for all the tracks, it's actually perfect, no tracks that I'd hardly listen to! The re-takes of Stone free, Bleeding heart, Fire and Red House are all fantastic! Hear my train a comin' is also a great track. I might just put it on now ;) ! Ermm, Okay, i shall try find some photos of the Singer Bowl, thankyou very much. Peace man.

4. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

I have seen the blue one in different photos.Jimi owned many Strats...especially post 1966 models because he was able to afford them by then.The white one in question is probably a white one.....he no doubt used several Strats during a show.He played his guitars hard(tremolo use,ect)which made them go out of tune so he surely needed backup ones while the other would be re-tuned.I have seen pictures of Jimi playing other unusual Strats such as a 50s maple neck one or a white one with a Telecaster neck for example.I read that he would walk into Manny's music store in New York and make big purchases....often walking out with several guitars.

5. Gypsy Eyes

Yes! He would atleast carry two maybe three stratocasters with him in reasonably large gigs. I've always seen him with painted guitars (monterey pop and saville strats both being red) or black ones with rosewood or maple necks and white ones with rosewood or maple necks. Never a blue one...

EDIT: To me, the guitar almost seems this colour, looking at the singer bowl photos:
    [​IMG]

Could you share the photos you have seen with this strat, please.

6. scotzoid

scotzoid Senior Stratmaster

When a color pic is converted to black & white, blue typically becomes white & red becomes black. The "duotone" (as it's known in the printing trade) on the back pic is created by separating the colors into a b/w for detail & the 2nd color for highlights. That could explain how the guitar seems to change colors.

7. Gypsy Eyes

I thought so! But there is quite a big change in colour. Thankyou very much

8. chasfromcali

chasfromcali Strat-Talker

Shreveport, Louisianna 7/31/68. Yeah, it's blue. Ice Blue Metallic? Don't look like LPB, but that could be the picture.

9. Stratplayer

Stratplayer Senior Stratmaster

I think the guitar in photo #2 in the original post is a different one from the guitar in photo #1. Besides the body being too light of a shade in #2 to be the same one, it also looks like it has a bound fretboard (Jimi had a few bound fretboard strats, most notably the Monterey strat).

10. chasfromcali

chasfromcali Strat-Talker

Here it is again three weeks later at the Singer Bowl in Flushing, NY.
    [​IMG]

And one week later in Salt Lake City.
    [​IMG]

Jimi was playing a blue strat a little bit in July & August of 1968. I haven't seen it in any pics after the Salt Lake City gig, may have got stolen as many of his guitars did. Who knows, maybe it just fell out of his rotation and he gave it away, he used to do that a lot too.

Here is a pic of Jimi playing the white strat at the Shreveport gig, as in the #2 pic above in the 1st post.
    [​IMG]

The #3 pic from the first post above is a red strat, not blue. Stockholm May 24th 1967.
    [​IMG]

Jimi mostly played rosewood necked strats pre October 1968 except for only a short time in May of 1967, and didn't switch over to maple necks until he got his famous white strat (the one that he used at Woodstock) and his "black beauty" strat in Oct. of 1968. Virtually everything after that is maple neck strats.

11. Gypsy Eyes

I agree with that whole post, I knew this too.

At the Isle of Wight the White 68 was in the back line up but was never picked up to use...

12. DMR90Guitar

DMR90Guitar Strat-Talker

its kinda amazing how much yall know about jimi.