Jimi Hendrix's Original Torched Fender Strat Found!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by custompedals, Aug 21, 2011.

1. custompedals

custompedals Commercial Suspension

[​IMG]

The rock legend torched his 1965 Fender Stratocaster at the end of a show at the Astoria in Finsbury Park, north London, in March 1967.

The stunt sent roadies rushing to put out the flames and left Hendrix needing treatment for minor burns.

But amid the hubbub, press officer Tony Garland cleared away the scorched Stratocaster and stored it in his parents garage in Hove, East Sussex, where it lay forgotten for nearly 40 years.

Even as Hendrix became famous for burning his guitars on stage the instrument remained undiscovered until last year when it was unearthed by Garland's nephew.

The guitar was bought for just over the estimated price at the Fame Bureau's It's More Than Rock And Roll auction at the Idea Generation Gallery in east London, the guitar was snapped up for just over the estimated price.

American collector Daniel Boucher who bought piece of rock history, said: "I thought I'd have to pay a little bit more for it, actually. I am going to play it, I hope some of it rubs off on me.

"It changed music, he raised the bar so high you couldn't get over it. Obviously it is an investment, it couldn't not be an investment for that amount of money, but I bought it because I like it."

Also sold in the auction was the last notebook of the Doors' Jim Morrison featuring poetry, partial lyrics and Morrison's thoughts in his last months before he died which fetched £58,000.

The first contract between The Beatles and their manager Brian Epstein, dubbed the most important music contract of all time, was also sold for £240,000

According to:

Scorched Jimi Hendrix guitar sells for £280,000 - Telegraph

2. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

Actually that is a fake. The real guitar was a 63, and is in the possession of Dwezil Zappa. It's been in the Zappa family since 1968. Also, burning something with lighter fluid doesn't burn like that. Look at pics of what's left of the Monterrey Pop Strat, there's no burns on it like the guitar in the pic. Looks like someone took a blowtorch to this one.

3. VoodooChild501

VoodooChild501 Strat-O-Master

Your thinking about two diffrent strats...

4. Stratoholic

What do you mean?

5. Hugh

Hugh Got Punch ? Strat-Talk Supporter

he set fire to more than one

6. Stratoholic

Here's a little sumptin I found. This pic was taken just before he went on stage at the astoria. No whammy bar, story is it was broken off in the block, and there's missing knobs. In the story the OP posted, the guitar was taken home and put a way, completely the way Jimi played it that night. But now the knobs are back, and it grew a whammy bar.

Attached Files:

7. blues dues

blues dues Senior Stratmaster

Stataholics right, Dweezils got it.

8. SlimJoe

SlimJoe Strat-Talker

I believe dweezle himself said it was one of a few that jimi had set fire to. It was in that Fender documentary that was talked about a while back. Horns and curves or something like that.

9. srvwannab

srvwannab Senior Stratmaster

looks different...

10. VoodooChild501

Im not saying that this is the guitar.. Im saying that the guitar that this is clameing to be and the guitar that your talking about.. The dwezil guitar are two diffrent guitars.

11. VoodooChild501

Diffrent guitar.. Dwezil does have a Burned jimi strat.. But not the one this one is said to be.

12. VoodooChild501

13. Stratoholic

Jimi never burned a guitar at Miami pop. He played his white 66 or 67 strat there, his black gibby, but not a sunburst strat. However if you can find a pic or video of him at Miami playing and setting fire to a sunburst strat, then I'll agree.

But, Frank was given the Astoria strat at Miami pop by a roadie and Frank figured he had set fire to it there at Miami.

14. VoodooChild501

Heres a few links that may help you.Jimi burnt many guitars.. The most famous being the one during wild thing at the Montary pop festival. The guitar at question is reported to be the 1st guitar jimi burned. There is no footage of this. The guitar that dweezil has was given to him at miami pop festival.Therefor it is refered to as the miami pop guitar. Where it was burned im not sure but it was not burned at astoria. If you look online u will see lots of info on the astoria strat. Im not trying to get into a argument over who knows more, im just simply stating that the astoria guitar and the dweezil guitar are two diffrent guitars. Jimi Hendrix Burnt Guitar May Fetch $1,000,000 at Auction | LUXUO Luxury Blog Jimi Hendrix - Wild Thing (Live) (Guitar Burning) - YouTube
    Jimi Hendrix the Finsbury Astoria Burnt Guitar FOUND - YouTube

15. Stratoholic

16. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-O-Master

the funny thing about history is that a lot of it is a re-telling of events and sometimes people dont remember (correctly), or care, about the details...

these guitars could have been from any number of shows - zappa's as well. just because he says it doesn't make it so.

17. Odie72

Odie72 Strat-Talk Member

Here's another thing that looks fishy, look at the bridge saddles, the intonation is set for a right handed player.

18. HBOilers

HBOilers Strat-Talker

So Jimi Played an entire set without a tremolo?? Did that ever happen before? And did he only use 1 strat at his performances?

19. stratofortress

stratofortress Strat-O-Master

all this talk of guitar burning makes me want to have a cookout and its only monday

20. ehemmer

ehemmer Strat-Talker

I thought the one that Frank Zappa had from the Monterary Pop Festival. Does Dweezil have 2? There is a picture of Frank and the Strat in the 50 Years of the Fender Stratocaster book.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.