Join Strat-Talk Today

John Fogerty Live at Red Rocks

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Electgumbo, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Last week I was visiting my old USAF BFF in Colorado Springs. My Daughter Daisy aka Sarah rode shot gun with me. While we were up there Sarah suggested we catch a show at Red Rocks. I told her to see who was playing. She rattle off a list of names but she got all excited when she got to John Fogerty! I said “Dats our Huckleberry!” We bought our tickets on line and it was a date.

So we drove up there the night of the show. I noted that the community around Red Rocks is Morrison Colorado complete with a Morrison Hotel. The trek from the parking lot to our seat was quite a journey. All up hill all the way. Once thru the gate the long ramp leading up was no picnic either for my couch potato behind. The guy next to me huffing oxygen from a hand held bottle must have done this before. We gave each other the thumbs up and we made our way up and up and up.

Finally got to our seats on the row 41. The show started promptly at 8:30. No opening act no BS. First song out the box was “Born on the Bayou”. I told Sarah “He knew we was here!” The it was hit after hit! A relentless onslaught of those tunes we all have in our head! The black tuck and rolled Kustom amp and the 69’ Rickenbacker from the original recording were featured. He stopped and told stories about the guitar and amp. He told stories about playing Woodstock at 2:30 in the morning while the crowd was asleep.

He did a odd thing by covering a few tunes from other Woodstock acts.

Help From My Friends Joe Cocker style
    My Generation The Who
    Everyday People and Sing a Simple Song Sly & Family Stone

And his son Shane (who is his guitarist on the tour) did a real good Star Spangled Banner Jimi style

While doing the covers I noticed the girl back ground singers and horn section sort of creep up on stage to augment the band on the covers. I was impressed by the attention to detail that was given those tunes.... they sounded like the real deal and wasn’t some sloppy put together thing.

Then it was back to CCR and the 80’s solo hits.... on and on for 2 hours! He ran around the stage like a 3 year old. He sang his ass off! I was pleased!

Honorable Mention to the drummer. The Legendary Kenny Aronoff! What a Total Beast of a drummer! How a guy can play with such power but also be so in the pocket and perfect! He was incredible the entire evening.

Oh the sound at this place is no joke. Perfect! Like your standing on the stage. I don’t know if I’ll get to go back but I’m glad I experienced it at least once myself.

Getting out was a little easier cause it was downhill all the way. Chalk up another concert for Pops and Daisy!!!

E13BDBD0-8BE9-427A-A348-33AF399A235A.jpeg 50E7E1AD-F05A-4602-9458-591B4DEA0003.jpeg 46B67377-C134-4904-8835-D3E1C7BD3B25.jpeg 7E888E41-FB84-4052-AD2D-EB03B45254F4.jpeg FBCE8C69-3AB3-488F-A418-9A9783494891.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    rudos1, fezz parka, TomH8 and 18 others like this.
  2. chrimturn

chrimturn Fire in the Wire Strat-Talk Supporter

That’s a sweet venue. First time I ever heard of it was when I was in Jr High or something. I used to draw a lot. My art teacher gave me a CD to listen to for inspiration. It was John Tesh live at Red Rocks.

I was like...who? What? Where? Wait....is that the guy from Entertainment Tonight? Lol.

But hey, I was enlightened. The guy could play. And it was relaxing and peaceful. I thanked her later for the newfound direction. She tried to push me further down the path. Broadened my musical palette but I didn't quite make it to Yanni though. Lol.

circles, montemerrick and Electgumbo like this.
  3. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Awesome story and sounds like a nice vacation to match. :)

montemerrick and Electgumbo like this.
  4. xland

xland Senior Stratmaster

Awesome, thanks for sharing the experience! I would love to see John Fogerty!! He has an amazing catalog of music to share.

I also share in the experience of climbing up to the seats at Red Rocks, it's quite the hike but it's an amazing venue!!! My wife and I saw Joe Bonamassa there a few years ago. Seeing a show at Red Rocks was a bucket list item.

I'm glad you enjoyed and made great use of your time in CO by seeing a fantastic artist at a beautiful venue!! :thumb:

Electgumbo likes this.
  5. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

Saaahhh-weeet Gumbo! Legendary venue and a legendary musician, perfect! Red Rocks is something else ain’t it?

Electgumbo likes this.
  6. chrimturn

chrimturn Fire in the Wire Strat-Talk Supporter

Just read it again. Awesome man. What a moment. Just as @CigBurn said...great story! Could picture each and every step vividly. I hope I can experience that someday. It’s on the bucket list.

Electgumbo likes this.
  7. jim293

jim293 Strat-Talker

How cool. That place is awesome.

Electgumbo likes this.
  8. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Very nice...
    Thank you...

Electgumbo likes this.
  9. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Great run down.. thank you very much.. oh to go to an open air gig to see the one and only John Fogerty. Its just so great to do something that'll be such a precious memory.. :thumb:

Electgumbo likes this.
  10. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

Looks like a very cool place, especially with such an artist playing.

Electgumbo likes this.
  11. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

A great story. John Fogerty is one of the best in the business.

Electgumbo likes this.
  12. axejock

axejock Strat-O-Master

John Fogerty/CCR were extremely popular during the "Viet Nam" years, and he and CCR were THE talent to listen to at that time (plus some other band called the Rolling Stones?). But I have followed John through the years and thought he had lost it all during his "bad years". So to see him come back like this is amazing and inspirational....that concert would have been my dream event! There is a video out of him at Sound Stage in Chicago that I really like. "Who'll stop the rain" is quite mellow but probably one of my all time favorites, and he wrote it during Woodstock and the heavy rain storms!

Electgumbo likes this.
  13. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

neato

Electgumbo likes this.
  14. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Looks like a great time..

Electgumbo likes this.
  15. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.