John Mayer Concert Report: Strat Info

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by AmericanSun, Jul 14, 2013.

1. AmericanSun

AmericanSun Strat-O-Master

First off, if you are not into the man, fine. This is not a thread to bash or trash... move on if you don't care for the guy.

I saw him in Dallas last night and noticed some things about his guitar lineup that I thought I'd share.

Guitars: The main strat he played was his 1964 vintage sunburst strat. It showed up on multiple tunes. He also played one of his signature strats as well. It was one of the 1/500 BLK1 guitars, which are identical to his signature strats other than the tuners. The famous Black 1 relic only made one appearance on 'Gravity', and he pulled out the gold 'Vultures' guitar for an encore of .... 'Vultures'. That was it for strats. He played what looked like a real '52 Tele, and some new guitar with a million knobs and switches that I didn't recognize.

Amps: He is still using his Dumble, but it appears he is using a different Two Rock than his typical Signature line. Still using 6 Allesandro cabs. Speakers unknown.

Band: He has a new band. No David Ryan Harris, no Robbie McIntosh. I talked with his drummer for a little bit and was surprised to find out he grew up near me and was the drummer on the last two albums as well as the one about to be released. I guess he ditched the old band quite some time ago.

Performance: The show was top notch. While he is moving out of blues are more towards 'folk' and 'southwest' styles, he showed that he not only still have the guitar chops, but played better solos than I have heard even in the past. His attitude seems a lot more mature and subdued than in the past.

OH! And Phillip Phillips did a great job as an opening act. Dude is full of music! His did a cover of an RnB song called "Nice and Slow" by Usher using his full band and an acoustic... it was very well pulled off. I'll have to keep this kid on my radar.

2. Luecack

Luecack Strat-Talker

Good to hear, I can't wait till August, I will be seeing him for the first time in pittsburgh.

3. ekul785

ekul785 Senior Stratmaster

Sounds like a great gig :) i think the guitar you mean is an alembic.

4. TrevorMarshall

TrevorMarshall Strat-O-Master

Seeing him July 26th in Irvine Ca. I have killer seats and I'm just way excited.

5. adiabatic

adiabatic Senior Stratmaster

Hmm... anyone know what this could be?

6. AmericanSun

Also, I know each show is different, but he did pull out Neon, Gravity, Vultures, Edge of Desire, Paper Dolls (new song) and Slow Dancing in a burning room. The rest was songs from Born and Raised and an unrelased new album. The lighting and graphics that go along with the show are very cool!

7. AmericanSun

Ekul785 was correct. It is in fact an Alembic. Here is a pic I took last night. And one of an Alembic from the web.

Attached Files:

8. 65strat

65strat Strat-Talker

Very very similar to Jerry garcia's tiger guitar, from the mid 70's.

9. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Actually that one's similar to Garcia's Wolf guitar - but Alembic also has one that is more like Tiger and Rosebud. All three of Garcia's were built by Doug Irwin; I'm not sure how Alembic has wound up doing these similar guitars. The Wolf guitar was first, followed by the Tiger guitar and the Rosebud guitar.

Here's the Wolf guitar:

[​IMG]

10. hwy 49 blues

hwy 49 blues Strat-Talker

I hope he doesn't move completely away from blues. He can play some Texas style blues for sure.

11. Seanboy

Seanboy Strat-Talker

I saw him in concert a few years ago, and had meet and greet passes. He performed a special 4 song acoustic show for us prior to the actual concert starting. The man sure puts on a great show, I would say that out of the 40-50 concerts I've been to, that was one of the best.

12. StratDen

StratDen Senior Stratmaster

Thanks for the report. I have tickets to see him in August.

Sent from my iPad using Strat Forum

13. 65strat

65strat Strat-Talker

Doug Irwin originally worked for alembic.

14. John C

I thought so but I couldn't verify that when I posted last night - I guess these designs came to Alembic through Irwin and not Garcia's estate.

15. 65strat

65strat Strat-Talker

Let me finish the thought. Doug Irwin was working for Alembic when he made Jerry's first guitar. It had humbuckers, and Jerry wanted strat pickups, so he asked him to make another one just like it but with Strat pickups. This became the Wolf. I said Tiger, but that one came later. I'm easily confused. When Jerry died, the guitars were willed to Doug Irwin, but GD Productions sued to get them back, because Jerry didn't have the authority to give the guitars away, they were owned by the Grateful Dead (he used their money to pay for them). Doug and the Dead settled and he got two guitars, one of them Wolf. Alembic decided to make two tribute guitars, since Doug made them on their machines in their building at the time, on his own time. But, the made slight changes to avoid lawsuits. This is what John Mayer is playing now.

The interesting thing is Doug had a partner who worked on all these guitars with him, who he never credited in any interviews about these guitars.

Joel

16. 65strat

65strat Strat-Talker

This is the very original Wolf guitar, from around 73-74, with the strat pickups.

Redirect Notice

17. 65strat

65strat Strat-Talker

Well that didn't work. if you follow that link you will see it.

18. John C

That appears to be where the photo I snagged of the Wolf guitar came from - pretty cool site for Jerry's various guitars. I vaguely remember reading about the equipment being owned by the company the band started and not by the individual members.

19. Dare1

Dare1 Most Honored Senior Member

Didn't happen to see a guy in an Iron Maiden shirt, by any chance? My boss and his family were there too. :p

20. AmericanSun

Being that it was a John Mayer concert, there was plenty to look at :p
    If every dude there had on an Iron Maiden shirt, I wouldn't have noticed.

Did you enjoy the show?