John Mayer Signature Pickups

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by KazPed, Jun 1, 2010.

1. KazPed

KazPed New Member!

Hey all,

Im looking into indulging in a new strat as for the past 5 years ive been playing a Gothic Studio Les Paul and ive become rather fed up with it, as my style has changed hugely (more into bluesy/funky stuff instead of metal as i was!). Ive been looking at the John Mayer Strat and i notice that the main difference between that and other strats are the 'Big Dipper' pickups that cut in the mid tones. My questions is, is it not possible to achieve the same tone just by cutting the mid on amplifier and fiddling with the tone/pickup selection on an american standard strat?

I just dont know if the extra £400 is will be worth it between a Standard American and the John Mayer Signature. Also having recently forked out for a new Taylor acoustic, my money has been depleting! (although of course its always worth it :p)

2. Goodkat

Goodkat The One

Hey!

Yes, you can achieve much by carefully adjusting the eq settings on your amp and the std MIA Strat should be good enough to get you close to what you're after.

But ... in order to sound exactly like someone, you should be using the same equipment AND play exactly like them. And the last thing mentioned is the tricky part. :)

3. KazPed

KazPed New Member!

Lol, yes im well aware of that :p i wouldnt really want to sound exactly like anyone, but i love the tone he gets in the John Mayer Trio stuff (if your know of it). Thanks for the help mate, seems like i will be heading down to my local store to get a new Strat rather soon!

4. kevin8122006

kevin8122006 Strat-Talk Member

Although the pickups are the main difference, there are other differences worth mentioning. The neck is a bit chunkier and the frets are larger, Dunlop 6105 medium jumbo's I believe. I have owned both the JM signature and an American standard at the same time, and I found myself playing the JM much more often, and finally sold the American Standard as I hardly ever picked it up, and to help fund my purchase of a Taylor 814c :D. Having large hands I found the neck of the JM signature to be much more comfortable for me, and I love the bigger frets when it comes to bending. I would highly suggest getting your hands on both and spending some time with them before you completely discount the price difference. I found my JM signature used for a really good price. If you look around you can certainly find a good deal on a used one. Just my .02 cents. Best of luck.

5. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

It depends on what amp you are playing. I find that some SS amps have more control over the mid range cut versus tube amps. Meaning if you have a mid range control, you can pull out more midrange and get closer to that sound. Some don't cut so much and you can't get a lot of "scoop"!

6. flyingace

flyingace Strat-O-Master

I hear Klein Pickups have some modeled after the Big Dippers, much less $$!

7. vonasemj

vonasemj Strat-O-Master

Check out Klein Pickups for a slightly cheaper alternative. I have a set of the S-5's which are supposed to replicate the sound of the "Big Dippers" and I love the way they sound. The Big Dippers are different than what John has in "The Black One", the black Strat he plays for most JM Trio songs. Klein also has pickups to replicate that sound. They are called the Jazzy Cats.

8. definegravity

definegravity Strat-Talk Member

yes go do some research on kleins, they produce really accurate replicas, gettin a blues driver will do the trick or a tubescreamer

9. Orlando Mike

Orlando Mike Senior Stratmaster

Or you can pay $400 plus for a set on Ebay

10. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member

As others have mentioned it is more than just the pickups that sets the JM apart from an American Standard. The Pickups, Cloth wiring, larger frets, chunky neck, Gotoh tuners, vintage spaced 6 point bridge, it is a completely different guitar. I own one and I wouldn't ever imagine picking an American Standard over the Jm if money weren't an issue. The Neck and the pickups are what make an instrument IMO, and the Standard won't feel, play or sound anything like the JM.

11. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie Strat-Talk Member

I've also posted this on another thread :)

Hi guys, I've been looking for that Mayer tone as well!

What do you guys think of John Mcloughlin's pickup sets?

YouTube - John Mayer Black One pickup clones

I think they are also made by Klien..

They are Black one clones.

Or should i go for CS 69's? Or Tex Specials? :D

12. D.Allen

D.Allen Senior Stratmaster

Pickups

JM's, CS 69, Tex Specials, or an over wound pickup set is a lot to cover! Play different sets and see what points you to the music style you want.
    My personal favorites right now are my CS HotVintage they give you the vintage chime and quack and the bridge is just hot enough. They will span the CS 69 and a bit of the Mayer tone with the right amp settings.
    I would like to see you get the right set so you can create the tone you are looking for.